PDA

View Full Version : Break In?

2001300exguy
06-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Im getting my bike back together tonigh and need to know hwo to break it in. i read something on heat cycles but not completely sure on what that is. also are there any little things like tips that u can give on putting the bike back together
thanks

06-24-2005, 04:39 PM
did you redo the whole top end or just put a new cam in, for the top end you should take it on a light trail ride untill you burn about a whole tank of gas for a cam just take it easy for 30 min or so ;)

2001300exguy
06-24-2005, 04:46 PM
i replaced the pistong rings and got a hone so the cylinder needs to be broken in also

06-24-2005, 04:54 PM
yeah just take it easy untill you burn the first tank of gas, go on a trail ride or sumthin

2001300exguy
06-24-2005, 06:05 PM
what was the othere method that alot of peopl swear by. the same guy that uses velocity porting says that his way to break it in is the best

ghak99
06-24-2005, 06:27 PM
I know who you are talking about, Motoman I believe. I have broke in all of my motors in a similar manner. I let it get to running temp, and check for any leaks or problems, then let her rip!;) After warm up, I move through all gears rapidly and am fairly hard on it. Bring her in, let cool, check valves and for any leaks or problems and let her rip again! I have not had any trouble yet, and have built some fairly modded motors from singles to v8's. You can read through his web site if you really need an explaination.

JRP
06-24-2005, 06:37 PM
just take it easy for about 30 - 60 min. then tear it up!:devil:

red_rider_450r
06-25-2005, 06:48 AM
I have always heard and used the tank of gas break in, TRY to vary throttle from 25% to 75% for the first tank of gas or so.

06-25-2005, 09:13 AM
let it warm up for about 10 min, shut it off, let it cool, same thing three times, then ride it taking it easy for about 10 min, shut it off, let it cool down, then take it easy for the 1st 4-6 hours your riding it.thats the proper way to break it in.

Ryan
06-25-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by aLLoY MX 428
let it warm up for about 10 min, shut it off, let it cool, same thing three times,

I usually just give it 3 good heat cycles, but I let it idle for 20 minutes each time. But after that, just ride it they way you want it to be ridden.

ghak99
06-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by aLLoY MX 428
let it warm up for about 10 min, shut it off, let it cool, same thing three times, then ride it taking it easy for about 10 min, shut it off, let it cool down, then take it easy for the 1st 4-6 hours your riding it.thats the proper way to break it in.

:huh Have you tried both methods on the same or identical motors?

Oh well, I guess I never considered myself very proper anyways.;)

NacsMXer
06-25-2005, 12:24 PM
I tried the heat cycle method that Duncan Racing has on their website on my old 440 kit and I can honestly say that "taking it easy" is not the best route for break in. The motoman way of riding it hard while varying the RPM's IS the proper way to do it.

Just think about it, Motoman's method is very simple to understand and it makes complete sense. You have a freshly honed cylinder with fresh rings in there. The honing grooves on the cylinder are there so that they will wear away some of your rings in order to get perfect ring to cylinder contact. Riding it easy does not allow the rings to wear enough against the cylinder thus creating microscopic gaps between the rings and the cylinder. These microscopic gaps allow your compressed air/fuel mixture to "blow by" the rings on the compression stroke. This results in a overall loss in compression which results in a decrease in power.

When you use the Motoman method while riding it hard, you are allowing the rings to wear properly against the freshly honed cylinder. The result is a perfect ring to cylinder seal and a drastic decrease in the amount of "blow by" gasses. That way you are getting all the possible compression and power out of your fresh motor. The first 20 miles or tank of fuel is the most critical time to make your rings seal properly. If you don't do it this way and ride it easy, then your motor just lost quite a bit of power potential which it will never get back until the next rebuild.

Hope this helped some of you guys who are confused about break-in because this is the way the professional engine builders reccommend ;)

FoxRacing81
06-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I tried the heat cycle method that Duncan Racing has on their website on my old 440 kit and I can honestly say that "taking it easy" is not the best route for break in. The motoman way of riding it hard while varying the RPM's IS the proper way to do it.

Just think about it, Motoman's method is very simple to understand and it makes complete sense. You have a freshly honed cylinder with fresh rings in there. The honing grooves on the cylinder are there so that they will wear away some of your rings in order to get perfect ring to cylinder contact. Riding it easy does not allow the rings to wear enough against the cylinder thus creating microscopic gaps between the rings and the cylinder. These microscopic gaps allow your compressed air/fuel mixture to "blow by" the rings on the compression stroke. This results in a overall loss in compression which results in a decrease in power.

When you use the Motoman method while riding it hard, you are allowing the rings to wear properly against the freshly honed cylinder. The result is a perfect ring to cylinder seal and a drastic decrease in the amount of "blow by" gasses. That way you are getting all the possible compression and power out of your fresh motor. The first 20 miles or tank of fuel is the most critical time to make your rings seal properly. If you don't do it this way and ride it easy, then your motor just lost quite a bit of power potential which it will never get back until the next rebuild.

Hope this helped some of you guys who are confused about break-in because this is the way the professional engine builders reccommend ;)

I wanted to break my motor in this way, but my mechanic strongly recommended against it because of the high comp. piston. I just said okay and planned on giving it hell but my dad pleaded with me not to. This sucks when no one will believe you.

-Justin

NacsMXer
06-25-2005, 12:56 PM
I know what you mean man. A lot of older people can get past what used to be accepted as proper break-in procedure. Things have changed and sometimes you really do need to think outside the box. My dad had that old mentality as well and when I explained how the motoman method works, he agreed with me 100%. Lazarus at GT Thunder even told me heat cycles are not the best way to go when he built my race motor. He is a professional engine builder and he supports the motoman method as well. He told me when he builds a fresh motor for one of his racers, he tells them to just go out there and rip fullbore and this has never caused a problem.

I think the professionals know a bit more than local mechanics who refuse to believe otherwise. What sucks about a motor that was broken in "easy" is the fact that it will never run as hard as it could have if it was broken in properly. There's always the next rebuild so no worries :cool:

ghak99
06-25-2005, 01:59 PM
NacsMXer, I could not have said it better.;)