PDA

View Full Version : Quad smokin out of the piperealy bad!!!

blakefoote
06-24-2005, 01:02 PM
I raced my 400ex last weekend and I raced the heat and then I had about an hour break. Then we had a buddy race. Then about another hour break the i went to get ready and my batterie was dead because the person I ran the buddie race with left the key on in nuetral. So we push started it and i left it running for about and hour b/c i was class #13 and it was on like 10. And i though it was on class12. So it charged the batterie up ,but by the time it charged up I had to go to the gates. Then I ran my race. The bike did excellent but when I got back to the trailer everyone saud ut was smoking realy bad and I was watching my video where they filmed me and it was smoking(REALY BAD) :eek2: And now ever sence thet race. When the quad gets wormed up it smokes. The smoke is a blueish wkite in color. And I chenged the oil the day after the race. Any body think theyt know what is going on. I think it is the piston rings.

key4202003
06-24-2005, 01:33 PM
blue smoke means oil
white smoke means coolent
black smoke gas, richness
green smokie smoke means happiness;)
take compression test and see, also a trick i have learned to find a burnt valve i pressurize the cylinder and put the cilinder in each of the strokes intake, compression, power stroke, and exsust. hope this helps

chucked
06-24-2005, 01:56 PM
If you dont know how to work on it, take it to a mechanic. Does it smoke more when you first start it up for the day or when you are riding it. If it smokes when you first start it up, its the valve seals, if it smokes more when you are riding it, its the rings. It probably wouldnt hurt to have both changed. This is the best time to bore it out, put a cam in it, port and polish, etc....

2004exrider
06-24-2005, 04:40 PM
So we push started it and i left it running for about and hour b/c i was class #13 and :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

cant that be a reason its smokin
leaving an aircooled engine running for such a long period of time has to F something up?

wicked400man
06-24-2005, 07:20 PM
sorry to say this pal....but you leave any air-cooled engine idle for an hour in the dead heat of summer....it will fry rings nice and crispy

Derag2
06-24-2005, 07:38 PM
yea man you can't just let it sit and run, it has to have air moving past it to cool it. when it sits there it heats up all the air around it and theres nothing it can do to keep cool, i'd say you fried it good, rebuild time.

vinson581
06-24-2005, 07:54 PM
ouch, my friend did that to his gay blaster and couldnt grasp the concept of air cooled..... needless to say it runs like shatature now..

do a wiseco 11:1 hotcam stage 1 or new stage 2, and new valve seals, and it will be good for another long while.

i mean if im tuning my idle or something, i put a big ol' fan on it to keep it cool, but im a bit over protective. haa

v581

blakefoote
06-24-2005, 08:00 PM
well, i got on it and i thought i was running late. But, I was a lil early and i didn't have any choice but to let it sit.:ermm:

blakefoote
06-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by wicked400man
sorry to say this pal....but you leave any air-cooled engine idle for an hour in the dead heat of summer....it will fry rings nice and crispy

It was bout 11:00 at night and it was like 60 degrees. But i guess itwould still fry. This sucks realy bad. And the bad thing about it is, it is all my falt.:(

Derag2
06-24-2005, 08:06 PM
shut it down and start it again before the race............ you should be able to push start it by yourself........... your gonna end up boring it so you might as well go for a 416 or something. Stage 2 cam. highcompression piston, full exhaust system.

markk
06-28-2005, 03:41 AM
from the question your asking, I would let somone that really knows whats going on look at your quad, and fix it.

But id say that you probley messed by lettin the thing just idle 4-ever in the heat, ANd if you had oil that was broke-down really bad already it couldnt have been good.

But yes, Blueish/white smoke is oil, and the only way u can burn oil in a 400ex motor is threw your rings, or threw your valves.

Now after its repaired, u might still have oil packed into your exhaust packing, it will take a ride or two to burn that oil outa your exhaust.

greg_gorrell
06-28-2005, 09:00 PM
yeah man, same thing happened to mine once except my screen got clogged and there was no fresh oil cycling around so it overheated and shut downf or awhile. i needed new rings and i replaced that valve seals. but im sure if it would have got any hotter than there would be a lot more wrong with the engine.