PDA

View Full Version : Stereo guru's, question on a new amp

drifterx
06-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Allright, right now i have a cheapie no-name amp in my truck. I'd like a newer better one with a cooling fan, and just got my paycheck, so I decided on an Audiobahn intake series. My buddy had one, and it worked and looked awesome. But, my Kickers are rated at 300w RMS and 600 Max. The amp i want puts out 200w per channel, and bridges at 800w mono..... Could i bridge it at 400w a piece and be allright? I'd probably turn the gain down a bit, to be on the safe side...

Thanks a lot!

DvxDirtSlinger
06-23-2005, 10:51 PM
i take it its a 4 channel amp? also is that 600 max for the pair of subs or 600 a peice?

drifterx
06-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Na, its a 2 channel amp, driving 2 subs. Says on Car Domain its rated at 200w rms per channel, and 800w RMS bridged mono. Each sub is rated at 300w RMS, and 600w max... So 600w RMS for the pair, and 1200w max for the pair.

DvxDirtSlinger
06-23-2005, 10:59 PM
if youve got a 2 channel amp pushing 2 subs your not going to gain anything by bridging, just hook it up normal and it should sound pretty good, youll be pushing below the rms though, and over a long period of time it will hurt your subs(i was told by an installer that your subs will blow faster from underpowering them than from over powering them) if i were you i would either look for a 600-1200 watt 2 channel amp since thats what your subs are made to handle or run the 400 watt, running just 100 watts below rms shouldnt hurt anything for a while but it will eventually

drifterx
06-23-2005, 11:04 PM
A friend of mine has a pair of Rockford Fosgate 12's, and is only running half the RMS to each of them... It thumps so hard, one of the hardest hitting i've ever seen.... Another friend of mine, that has the audiobahn amp has a pair of JL 15" W0's, rated at 150w rms a piece (seems low, but its true), and he bridged his 100w rms a piece 2 channel amp, up to 200w a piece, and they sounded great, and much louder than with the 100 watts going to them. This amp i'm talking about though, is a nice amp, and i found a great deal on it, thats why i'm interested.

DvxDirtSlinger
06-23-2005, 11:07 PM
the 400 would hit harder than a 200 if thats what it was per channel,if youve got a 400 2 channel amp your only pushing 200 per channel, bridging will only give you gain if you were running a single sub off of a 2 channel amp, then you would be getting the full 400 to just one sub but it dosnt make sense to bridge a 2 channel amp for 2 subs

drifterx
06-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by DvxDirtSlinger
the 400 would hit harder than a 200 if thats what it was per channel,if youve got a 400 2 channel amp your only pushing 200 per channel, bridging will only give you gain if you were running a single sub off of a 2 channel amp, then you would be getting the full 400 to just one sub but it dosnt make sense to bridge a 2 channel amp for 2 subs

They must lie about their numbers then. I was wondering about how 400w could be doubled just by the way you wire it.

DvxDirtSlinger
06-23-2005, 11:13 PM
thats why i was wondering if it was a 4 channel amp, because 200 per channel bridged to make 800 would have to be 4 channel

BestBuyMECP
06-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Dvx is correct on this one, I work in the install bay of a Best Buy store, and i am also a mobile electronics certified professional, so i do know what im talking about on this one, you dont bridge a 2 channel amp 2 run 2 subs.. Drifter, your a dumbass, and if your friend is the one giving you this info, then he's a dumbass, thats just the way it is.

drifterx
06-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by DvxDirtSlinger
thats why i was wondering if it was a 4 channel amp, because 200 per channel bridged to make 800 would have to be 4 channel

Ya, i figured that. My soundstorm (cheepie, but works good) makes 300w per channel, 2 channel, and is suppose to bridge down to 900w mono. I had the 300 going to my old audiobahn subs, (rated at 400w rms a piece), and then i bridged it to 450 (i thought), and they seemed to hit harder, but i guess it could have just been me.

THanks for your help DvxDirtSlinger, i appreciate it!

Anybody else who has anything to add though, go right ahead!

drifterx
06-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by BestBuyMECP
Dvx is correct on this one, I work in the install bay of a Best Buy store, and i am also a mobile electronics certified professional, so i do know what im talking about on this one, you dont bridge a 2 channel amp 2 run 2 subs.. Drifter, your a dumbass, and if your friend is the one giving you this info, then he's a dumbass, thats just the way it is.

Well thanks for your expertiece, but you don't have to be such a rude jackass about it...

And i agreed with Dvx... I wasn't sure on this matter, so i posted about it, thats part of what a forum is for...

Here's a link of the 2 channel amp i'm talking about...
http://www.cardomain.com/item/ABNA8002T