PDA

View Full Version : Is my lower stem bearing done??

NacsMXer
06-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Just noticed this today after putting on some new bars. When I sit on the quad on the ground and turn the bars lock to lock I hear this single "click" sound. It's like: turn left- "click" turn right "click". It was very difficult to pinpoint but I think it's coming from my lower stem bearing in the frame. When the quad is on a lift and I turn from left to right there is no sound at all. Steering is pretty smooth and not hard to turn or anything. Is this clicking sound an indication of a trashed stem bearing? Thanks guys :)

Pappy
06-23-2005, 08:21 PM
could be a cable

pull the stem and check the bearing, i havent seen many come here yet(frames) with good bearings in them

NacsMXer
06-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Papsta, when I touch my hand to that little "cup" on the frame where the bearing sits I can feel the click. Original stem bearing on a 2000 so I guess it's a likely possiblility. I should be ok for at least the summer right since there's no binding or anything?

VT250X
07-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Jerk the bars quickly left to right several times while watching the steering stem where it enters the cup. If there bearing is worn enough to make click you will see the stem shifting back and forth instead of just turning in a circle. If it's doing that then it's shot. If you don't see it move but it is clicking like you described it's more than likely shot and should be replaced. Mine was a pain because I think it was in there since 1987, but a hammer and a large socket I was able to get it out. After you remove the top seal clean it out and locate the clip ring. After several minutes of pounding I finally realized there was one there. I got my bearing with seals on eBay for like $16 shipped. The same guy sells a whole kit for like $39.00. It included, stearing, front wheels, rear wheels, bearing carrier and swing arm needle bearings. Not a bad deal.

LM

Pappy
07-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Thanks for the reply Papsta, when I touch my hand to that little "cup" on the frame where the bearing sits I can feel the click. Original stem bearing on a 2000 so I guess it's a likely possiblility. I should be ok for at least the summer right since there's no binding or anything?

IF YOUR HEARING NOISES ID HIGHLY SUGGEST REPLACING IT. 5th gear pinned is not the place to realize a $12 bearing can screw up your day!