PDA

View Full Version : jetting altitude??and which stage??

RRP
06-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Ok first time jetting a carb as you can probably tell by my topic.I have a dynojet kit.FMF power core4 and a K&N filter with outers prefilter.All which are going on a 300ex.The instructions are saying above 5000 ft below 5000 ft,below 3000,above 3000 but below 6000??Altitude is one of those subjects that just don't come up during everyday conversations so I have no idea how high it is where I live?Second question it has a stage 1 setup and a stage 2 with the airbox lid being remove is the only difference but the jets go from 118 in stage 1 to 128 in stage 2.I ride trails and do alittle informal racing so I am not sure if I could get away with always having the airbox lid off.Obviously yuo can tell I am new at this and am totally confused at this point.

06-23-2005, 06:25 PM
id try stage 2 and if it bogs go back to stage one as for you altitude look up the statistics of your state

RRP
06-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks

honda400ex2003
06-26-2005, 08:36 PM
wunderground.com is a weather site and I think it gives your altitude if you put in your zip code and stuff. I would try a weather site for your area they might be able to tell you what it is approximately. Just jet for what is good for the 300ex. If you want to run with the air box cover off then jet for that, if not jet for that. These stages are just ball park estimates anyways. It sys for me to run a 142 dynojet in my 400ex with my cover on and I run a 138. It runs really good though with that. All motors are different in what they want and like for jetting. Try the jets that it says then check your plug. (plug test to see if it is running leand or rich. Most likely rich since they always stay on the rich side so that noone can come and say your jetting was off and it burned up my motor.) Then rejet if you don't like how the plug looks or if it bogs down or pops or something. Just my two cents though. Steve