PDA

View Full Version : Ethics In Our Sport

Wonder Woman
06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Just curious on what people think of this:

Say you get sponsored. First you jump up and down and then you figure out what new goodies you can add to you quad from your sponsor.

With every sponsor comes a contract. Your new sponsor lays out what they will do for you and what they expect from you. If you agree to work with that contract, you both sign and then things are up and rolling.

Usually your contract will call for you to race a certain series, every race, or not ride a competitor's products (duh) as well as sticker placement, and mentioning the sponsor as well as promoting positively the products of the sponsor. Usually there are other parts to the contract, but these are not what I am curious about right now.

Say that a situation comes up, say a muddy race and your tire sponsor's tires are not going to do as well in that type of mud/clay/goop condition (they work OK other places but not at that track) as one of your sponsor's competitor's, so you run the other tires. Or you get a better offer, more publicity, more fun, etc, to race a race that is not on your schedule, but it would cause you to miss one of the races that you are contracted to ride and probably affect a lot of other people like the promoter of the event, little kids that are coming to see your class race, the snack bar, local tourism or spectator attendance, any number of other people could be affected.

Are you obligated morally or ethically to stick to your agreement in the contract, or to do what you know will be better for your race finish/or give you more publicity even if it violates your contract? Obviously we all know that LEGALLY you cannot do either of these things, but we have all seen someone with a sticker for one company on their bike and a product from another company on the bike. I am not talking about an emergency situation where something breaks in Moto 1 and you need to ride Moto 2 and don't have the right back-up and have to substitute. I am talking about simply taking product or $ from one company and using another company's stuff because it performs better.

I am just wondering what people think of either of these possible situations. Is it right/wrong? Would it be OK under certain circumstances? If so what circumstances? Do you still respect the rider who violates his/her contract? How much is OK to stray and if it is OK to stray once is it OK to do it twice, three times, or anytime?

Pappy
06-23-2005, 03:56 PM
If its in writing and a binding contract, the rider is obligated by law to uphold all aspects of said contract.

wilkin250r
06-23-2005, 04:02 PM
I say too bad. If your sponser upholds his end of the bargain (money), then you should uphold yours, even if it means losing publicity, not performing well in a race due to products, or missing a race or event you would like to attend.

Let's say company "X" gives you a $5000 contract to sponsor you for the year. Are you willing to repay that $5000 just to race the other event, or use the other tires, or whatever? I think, ethically, THAT is the question you need to ask. Am I comfortable with negating this contract and repaying ALL benifits I recieved from it?

Wonder Woman
06-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Wow, quick answers... you know what you think and aren't afraid to share.

OK, we all know legally what's up.

Devil's Advocate here...
What if riding your sponsor's product would give your sponsor a bad rap? For instance, you know you are racing a TT race and you are riding the slug of slug axles (but they paid you $2500 to ride it and it works mostly), and someone offered you a titanium (sp?) axle. You know for sure it would shave off pounds and preform better as well as give you the edge to take a top 5 finish. Without it you are looking at the back of the pack for certain. Your sponsor would have you on the podium and a race win to brag on, and after a while people might not remember the switcheroo.

Or, your sponsor is telling you, hey, we didn't know about this coolio event happening in Timbucktoo the same day as one of the GNC TT races, and of course we want you to go to the coolio race, so just blow off the other event because you are only hurting the promoter, and we know no one really cares about them anyway. You can make up the points at a later race probably and get like 3rd or so for the season if you miss a race.
But of course we will expect you to win the coolio event, because you could be throwing the entire TT season into the can by missing one race for the single coolio event.

So are both of these still not OK?

Pappy
06-23-2005, 04:12 PM
It would depend heavily on the wording of the contract.

400grl
06-23-2005, 04:41 PM
I think that accepting a sponsorship deal is something the rider should think about and consider for a while before signing. Before I commit to a sponsor, I have to know that I am able to do what the sponsor requires of me that whole year. If it includes running their tires no matter what the track conditions, then yes, I'm going to run their tires no matter what. Or I choose a sponsor that has all types of tires so I don't run into that problem. What does it say about the company you are representing if you, their sponsored rider, won't even run their tires for that race? Even if it is a mud race?

The axle thing.......I would run my sponsors axle. That is what I'm supposed to do as a sponsored rider. And I would try my hardest to win on that axle...... If I didn't plan on running their axle for the whole year, I wouldn't accept the sponsorship in the first place. I would buy my own axle, and then I could have the freedom of choice should I need it.

Sometimes it's really nice to be able to choose whatever products you want - it's not always great to have sponsors for everything.....that's why I don't have a gear sponsor. I buy my own gear, so that I can wear whatever I want........anytime I want to.....it's worth the money to have that choice.

Running the TT race as opposed to the BIGGER race (and I'm pretty sure I know exactly which event you are talking about - can't get much bigger!) - that is tough. This would require you and your sponsor to come to some type of agreement - meet halfway somehow........ I think alot of riders are in your same position - maybe talk to some of them and see what they are going to do. And just go into it knowing that any type of disagreement or unsolved issues between you and your sponsor could result in you possibly not having that sponsor again the next year. If the exposure of the big race is worth that possibly happening to you - then I'd say go for it. If it's not worth it, then take the safer road........

The ATV community seems large, but ultimately, it's a small, small world. Everyone knows everyone - even in the larger companies. Being known as someone who upholds their contract, and is a great sponsored rider......I think that is worth more than any short term gain, personally. I'd rather be respected and trusted by my sponsors and fellow riders, no matter what my race results may be at the end of the year.

Keep us posted on what you decide!!! It's a tough one!!! ;)

Wonder Woman
06-23-2005, 04:55 PM
This subject is not something that I have to worry about. It is something that I am curious about.

I am NOT a sponsored rider. I am a recreational rider who is active in the community and find that I have noticed problems of this sort and wondered if it is something anyone besides me found problematic.

For me there would be no decision to make if I was a sponsored rider. I have integrity, and I can sleep at night with my decisions, and know when given, my word is good and can be trusted.

I agree with your approach to sponsorship. Stick to your agreement, and if you think it is an area you need flexibility, do not accept the contract. for instance a girl and her clothes. Hello??? Of course we can't be held to just one designer!!! Duh.

400grl
06-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Ahhhhh!!! Sorry if I thought it was in regards to you personally! :)

I have also notice these kinds of things.....and wondered about them - this topic is of great interest to me, too. Thanks for posting it up..... ;)

HondaEXrider22
06-23-2005, 06:11 PM
If he signed the contract it should be up to him to follow that contract out.

steveatv3
06-23-2005, 07:29 PM
I picked i would up hold the contract unless in exstreme conditions

My reason for this is, say i am sponsored by RTC and i go through practice and i roll it and my levers brake and instead of calling it a day and packing up ware i know i could finish in the top 3 if i just had levers.

But instead i take a walk down to the tracks vendor and buy a set of ASV levers and finish out the day in 2nd place and still thanking your original sponsor RTC. I would see that as being acceptable as long as you tell them what happend and there product broke ect..

oldsandman
06-23-2005, 08:56 PM
From a sponser standpoint I'd be very disappointed in my sponsered rider not honoring his commitment to me. The sponser didn't force you to sign. He is paying for the riders services and commitment. You take the mans money you do the job.

Wonder Woman
06-23-2005, 09:14 PM
I agree, with oldsandman on the sponsor's point of view. And with steveatv3 the scenario you describe seems like an OK thing to do.

What is your respect level for riders that do not follow their contract?

Do you think that a rider's actions really reflect that much on their sponsors?

I would be really unhappy, if I was a sponsor, and I found that the rider that I invested resouces in, had blown me off. Also I would not be willing to trust them to stick to their word in the future. I would not be concerned about steveatv3's scenario, because life happens and we do what we must in extreme situations. But I would be unhappy if I was looking for a win in a major series and my rider threw it away on another event, even if that event would have lots of publicity, the original series would be a total loss.

SRH
06-23-2005, 10:20 PM
nah ****, gust and those guys use to be dg sponsored and ran ac stuff with dg stickers half the time, there advertising dg, hes supporting dg products for them etc, if they make junk that doesnt work but they have the cash to support the rider then they have to compromise, with bikes a rider could be sponsored by tag and run renthals, change bar pads and no one notices it happens alot

400grl
06-23-2005, 11:37 PM
It does? Then what's the point of a sponsorship? How about just don't accept sponsorship for a product if you don't believe in it?

Tommy 17
06-24-2005, 07:55 AM
i know a few motocross riders back in the day use to wear fox and shoei helmets with bell stickers and paint jobs on them... they got the money from bell but hated their helmets so they made the others look like a bell...

maynard22
06-24-2005, 08:12 AM
Hold up your end of the bargain until your contract runs out and it will show other companies your loyalty, in turn helping you in the long run IMO.

Out_Sider
06-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by maynard22
Hold up your end of the bargain until your contract runs out and it will show other companies your loyalty, in turn helping you in the long run IMO.

that is how i see it

wilkin250r
06-24-2005, 10:52 AM
I view a contract as a contract.

Let's say you hire somebody to replace the floor in your bathroom, and for some silly reason, you pay the money up front. That person shows up and rips out the bathub and sink. Then, he decides there's more money somewhere else, so he puts the bathtub and sink back in (proffessional installation, no permanent damage).

Wouldn't you also expect him to refund the money that you paid up front?

Wonder Woman
06-25-2005, 06:44 PM
How do you think it reflects on the RIDER who is sponsored by one company but does not use their products?

How do you think it reflects on the COMPANY who sponsors a rider but the rider uses another company's product instead?

SRH
06-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Wonder Woman
How do you think it reflects on the RIDER who is sponsored by one company but does not use their products?

How do you think it reflects on the COMPANY who sponsors a rider but the rider uses another company's product instead?

the company must not care, 99% of people dont realize it and the company is getting advertisement, the rider is getting paid

the $$$ is the reason for sponsorship, the free product is just a perk, sponsored riders are salesmen

400grl, on a amateur level free product might seem great and it is helpful, but pros gotta use what work for them and pays the bills, im not sure about how sponsorship works for quads but in bikes the top guys get paid by sponsors

i rmeember reading a add for demarini bars or something, it said something like ever wonder what bar is under your favorite pros bar pad?