PDA

View Full Version : 250x questions/good quad?

Travis712
06-23-2005, 03:09 PM
I was wondering what quads this would compare to. Im thinking it could beat 300exs and stock blasters. Probably piped /filtered ones, not too sure. I might be able to get an alright deal, Im not positive but it is a '92 with a few mods. Tires, rims, pipe, maybe some more lol.

Anyone out there have one for their firt or second quad? Thanks..

06-23-2005, 03:22 PM
its a good bike but i dunno about beating blasters 300s if yours is stock

250xTrailRider
06-23-2005, 04:18 PM
I have a 91 that I beat the cr@p out of it. It just keeps rolling along. It is not the fastest thing but it dose everything I want. The former owner had used it more like a utility quad. He had welded a trailer hitch to the swing arm and had some other things done to it that I have removed. I just change the oil and filter and ride it. It has never left me walking. I may put a pipe and muffler on it one day but for now I just ride it and I don't have to do anything to it.

Travis712
06-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Cool thanks alot. I take it theres no common problems with them?

06-23-2005, 05:41 PM
man those things are almost bullet proof :macho

250xTrailRider
06-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Well that depends on your point of view. The supension is not the hot race setup but I like how it handles. They do not have electric start.

ghak99
06-23-2005, 10:31 PM
They will take a beating, and can be made fast if that is what you want. I actually feel much more comfortable on my modded 250x than a modded 400ex, for some reason the 400ex just does not fit me well. They are correct the suspension in stock form needs help, but parts are easily found at decent prices.

bradley300
06-24-2005, 07:50 AM
there great quads, there almost identical to a 300ex, but the 250 is actually faster than a 300 becasue of the shorter stroke and higher rev limiter

06-24-2005, 07:57 AM
could you put a 250x rev limiter on a 300?

hondardr4life
06-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by ghak99
They will take a beating, and can be made fast if that is what you want. I actually feel much more comfortable on my modded 250x than a modded 400ex, for some reason the 400ex just does not fit me well. They are correct the suspension in stock form needs help, but parts are easily found at decent prices.

I'm exactly like you, I don't liek the way 400's feel at alll. Plus I don't know about you, but my 330 will easily walk away froom piped 400ex's, so its the best of both worlds, I just despretly need suspension.

quadracer4
06-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
there great quads, there almost identical to a 300ex, but the 250 is actually faster than a 300 becasue of the shorter stroke and higher rev limiter

very true my bro had a 300ex pipe, filter and jet kit and my stock 250 stuck right with it

ghak99
06-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
I'm exactly like you, I don't liek the way 400's feel at alll. Plus I don't know about you, but my 330 will easily walk away froom piped 400ex's, so its the best of both worlds, I just despretly need suspension.

I don't know how your FST 330 runs, probably very good, but I can relate as I am running a few more cc's. Actually just under 380cc's from GT Thunder. I had no idea a 250x could run any where near the way mine does now. I don't like to make the statement "my 250 will smoke your 400", unless I have proved it on the track, but I will say it runs better than most.;)

250xTrailRider
06-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Yea my brother-in-law has a v-force and even though I am not faster then him he never just walks away from me in a straight line race. I mean maybe it's because I shift better but he has been riding longer than I have so I would say that is not it. I think they are light weight and have good power based on that weight. If I were you I would get one because even if you get bored with it you can still keep it for when your buddy ( or son/daughter wants to ride) comes over he/she has something to play on.

06-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Yea my brother-in-law has a v-force and even though I am not faster then him he never just walks away from me in a straight line race. I mean maybe it's because I shift better but he has been riding longer than I have so I would say that is not it

Uhhhhh v-forces are automatics :rolleyes:

bryan.young1
06-25-2005, 05:41 AM
My 250X is my first quad and i love it. she is not the fastest thing but not the slowest either. i have been told that i can drop a 12-1 piston and a cam in her with a pipe and it will make a big improvement. thats only a couple of hundred for the piston and cam then depending on what pipe you get.. well you get the picture. its easy to speed her up. plus im getting a long travel +2 +1 bugard set of a arms and elka tripple rate fronts with ress and dual rate rear with res rebound/compress adjust and which will give my 250X the same suspension travel as a 400EX with the same setup. the suspension i am spending some cash on but its all a matter of what you want. She came with dual rate works front and single with res for rear and its a very smooth ride great for trails but i want to start racing and jumping and i need something more. all together this bike is fantastic and like everyone says practically bullet proof. one thing i just went through with mine is that its an 1987 and so things are getting old. the oil plug threads wore out from all the expanding and contracting over the years and i had to tap it out and put a bigger plug in it. also changed all the filters and stuff like that but the motor is stock and 18 years old and every morning i go out and kick her over on the first kick almost every time. purrs like a kitten. thats my take on this bike. i might save up and one day get a 400 or something bigger but as of now i will never sell this bike. its great for beginers and everyone else. oh yea and one more thing i only payed 1500 for her and like i said she is in great condition with alot of extras. i have seen compleatly rebuilt ones going for about that much and a little more, so for the performance that you get you cant beat that price then you have extra money to spend on parts. i also hear that if you you could find a honda 350X (three wheeler) motor it bolts rite into the 250X frame. i dont know if that is true but its worth checking out.

if you have any more questions please ask. i love to talk about my bike.

bryan

bryan.young1
06-25-2005, 05:43 AM
all i have done to the outside of her is cut the fenders and take off the light. made her look like a racer.
bryan

bryan.young1
06-25-2005, 05:44 AM
more

red rider88
06-25-2005, 06:22 AM
my 250x

red rider88
06-25-2005, 06:23 AM

Travis712
06-25-2005, 07:07 AM
Nice pics guys. Thanks for the info too. Might just get a three wheeler, but JUST for a little while. I plan on keeping my summer job. Then I'll sell the trike, then hopefully buy a nice quad. No lemons, lol. Thanks again for the info guys.

Also, you said the 350x might fit. I say you try that, because I have seen 350x in pretty stock condition beat z400s, and a yfz450. If you don't believe me I can show you, it will just take a little time to find the link.

250xTrailRider
06-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
Uhhhhh v-forces are automatics :rolleyes:

Right. What I mean is that when I follow behind him I might be better at shifting than the v-force is. That's why I can keep up.