PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar Swingarm

honda_racer199
05-28-2002, 09:24 AM
Hey guys just wanted to let you know that the Lonestar Swingarms are JUNK! I was practicing yesterday on a local track, and went home washed it up and noticed a crack in the swingarm, right by the motor mount and it goes all the way around the swingarm almost, and I noticed a couple of smaller cracks in a couple of other places. Luckily it's made of steel so I can get it welded! Just wanted to let you know:grr :grr

Tommy 17
05-28-2002, 09:28 AM
how old is the swing arm was it the newer or older style...

Foxrage
05-28-2002, 12:42 PM
I would call lonestar and see what they can do 4 you before you do something.

QuadRacer041
05-28-2002, 02:57 PM
if its less then a year old id will be covered

QuadRacer041
05-28-2002, 03:05 PM
and why do you think lonestar is crap because it cracked?
does that mean roll is crap too, because one freind of mine cracked his roll frame and another freind cracked a roll swing arm too.just last week racerx bent his roll stem does that mean its junk, NO, it means he crashed and $hit happens.when your swing arm cracked you you riding on a street doing wheelies? probably not you were either in the woods haulin ***** going over rough turain,riding on a mx track or jumping...right?we'll stuff breaks when you do stuff like that.people are always saying something is crap because it broke, well the truth is MOST after market frames and swing arms are made from the same material. plus if you beat up on something hard enought anything is going to fail sooner or later, it doesnt nessacarily mean the part is junk.

QuadRacer041
05-28-2002, 03:09 PM
i also see you have a durablue axle, why,,,they are crap.... why dont you put up a post asking how many people have or know someone who has snapped a durablue axle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
here's a durablue axle in action

Foxrage
05-28-2002, 03:25 PM
Thats not an action pic of durablue if it was it would be of it breaking on landing. After you hear of so many breaking they are crap thats y you called durablue crap. I think lonestar is crap cause so many broke. y did you get an arens instead of keeping your lonestar. O ya and if it doesnt matter how they are made because they are all made with the same thing then y did lonestar come up with a new design they are all made of the same stuff so they are all going to break sooner or later.

trx400ex
05-28-2002, 04:17 PM
:huh

Dave400ex
05-28-2002, 04:45 PM
Just get a Walsh or Laeger Swingarm and don`t worry about Breaking anymore.

Smoker
05-28-2002, 05:00 PM
That's a cool three wheeler. Has anyone heard of metal fatigue, it happens over time and ocnstant beatings. Sh*t does happen but it seems to be a little more public with lonestar stuff. If it works for you quad041, more power to you man. :p

QuadRacer041
05-28-2002, 05:07 PM
i used the arens frame because it is $500.00 cheaper.
i didnt say they were made the same way i said that most were made with the same material.you telling me that none of the pros, well it doesnt even need to be pros,,no one ever breaks other stuff like walsh or laeger or roll?.when my freind called up roll to ask what there warrenty policy would be on his $900.00 swing arm you know what they said....they asked if he rode mx, he said yes, thay asked if he was jumping, he said yes,,,they said well thats why it broke.

Dave400ex
05-28-2002, 05:14 PM
That is Bad Customer Service. First they charge to much for the Swingarms in the first place and then they don`t even stand behind them? I know Lonestar will replace them some times. I don`t think I have ever heard of a Laeger or Walsh Part breaking. Maybe we just don`t hear about it.

Foxrage
05-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Sorry quad041
Thought you ment that any swingarm could breack because of the materials they used not becuse of who or how its made and thats why i said that stuff. Did you ever get your frame sold? I have never heard of laeger or walsh stuff breaking either.

QuadRacer041
05-28-2002, 05:22 PM
ive never heard of walsh stuff breaking but i have seen broken laeger a arms.

Dave400ex
05-28-2002, 06:10 PM
Yeah I heard that the Ball Joints on the Laeger A-Arms were a little weak, but my Brother has never had any Problems with his. Laeger also has New A-Arms now that have Bigger Ball Joints so that should be taken care of.

400exRacerX
05-28-2002, 07:05 PM
Well I called up Roll today and talked to Doug Roll about my stem,,, and he asked what I did. I told him I tipped the bike on its side in 2nd gear in sand. He told me tough luck and he would straighten it for me but it would cost $50.

400exRacerX
05-28-2002, 07:06 PM
The bottom line is,,,, know aftermarket part is junk because it breaks or bends,,,,,, if you ride hard always expect something to give.

Foxrage
05-28-2002, 07:33 PM
That sucks!!! Thats why you want sercvice over price.

FoxRacing400EX
05-28-2002, 07:43 PM
No matter what you buy eventually it's going to wear out and break. Let's use the example of car engines. A typical engine in a car can last for tes of thousands of miles. An engine in a top fuel dragster can last less than a quarter of a mile even though they are built using strong beefy parts made to take higher stress. It all comes down to abuse. Like quads if ridden conservately even stock parts will last a long time, but get out on an MX track and start jumping 80ft doubles, or do some high revving drag racing, your bonna bust parts sooner and more often. So just because it broke dosen't mean it's junk just might be a defect in the specific product you got, or you applied more stress to it than it could handle. Look and how fast tires wear out during a winston cup race....Does that mean goodyear tires are junk?

FullBore52
05-28-2002, 07:53 PM
$hit happens, and you cant buy $hit insurance. Be prepared to break s#it. Ive gone through lots of parts with my ex...piston, a rod, two pipes...a carb..most everything

Blake24
05-28-2002, 08:51 PM
If aftermarket parts are junk.......then DONT BUY THEM!!...:D

Pro400EXC
05-28-2002, 09:41 PM
If there's a will there's a way, just like everyone else said, you put enough stress on it,it will evventuelly break,heck i bet someone out there could break a solid steel swingarm(wouldn't that be a heavy mofo)

Thks,Pro

05-29-2002, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
I told him I tipped the bike on its side in 2nd gear in sand. He told me tough luck and he would straighten it for me but it would cost $50.

I've rolled my quad 2 times in 3rd gear goin around a corner and my stock stem handled it just fine, and the 416 did about 2 or 3 rolls,I can't believe that roll stem bent that easily...and it wasn't abused over time...for those of you that didn't know it,,Norm just put the thing on a week ago, so there was no stress or weak spots on the stem from years of abuse.

Norm did the quad roll over several times?? Hit a rock or what,,just flipping it on it's side in the sand doesn't sound like a $90000 stem should bend.:huh That's just a bunch of crap I think.

I did find it funny when quad041 mentioned his friend cracking a roll swingarm and Doug Roll asked if he was using it for MX racing...Nah he's using his $20,000 quad to heard cattle,,WTF kind of question is that....$900 for something that might crack and then I'm gonna be told tough luck.:eek: For $900 I should be able ta jump the friggen grand canyon. I'll go with a $500 houser swingarm and hope for the best..:blah

Holty
05-29-2002, 08:36 AM
Well said Rico...you took the words right outta my mouth.

BTW, how is your Houser Arms holding up? Are the ball joints that came with them pretty decent? Mine look beefy but anything looks good compared to stock. How do they compare to other aftermarket arms and joints? I got one ride so far on my Elka and Houser front end...so far so good. My shocks do feel alittle stiff, but I don't wanna adjust them until I know they are completely broken in. Also, my bike seems harder to steer now? I don't know if my front end is lined up properly or not though.

Anyway, I have a Lonestar axle and it has held up fine so far, but everytime I called Lonestar to ask a question or to see about my LSR bearing carrier they acted like they could care less about me and my business. Sounded like some punk kid working there who has everything handed to em and could care less about the customers. I really like LSR products, but my next purchase won't be anything from Lonestar.

05-29-2002, 09:12 AM
My A-arms are holding up just fine,,,there's been a few places I ride at that have some really bad washed out spots in turns,,were I thought to myself,,if I'm gonna snap a ball joint this is the place but they've held up perfectly. They need to be repowdercoated but that's it..:cool:

honda_racer199
05-29-2002, 09:18 AM
I didn't necessarily mean that anything Lonestar makes is junk. I was just mad that I spend about $600 for it, and it breaks, I agree with you guys overtime racing mx anything's bound to break, I've already broken a lot of crap. Sorry for all the feuding!:blah

05-29-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by honda_racer199
Sorry for all the feuding!:blah

I think the main reason people are bashing lonestar swingarms is there's been numerous people come on here and talk about their lonestar swingarm breaking or cracking,,,and not one person has mentioned any other brand of swingarm having problems.

05-29-2002, 12:08 PM
roll shoulda deff payed for it, thats jus like niceness or whatever, but as screamin said sh*t happens, i blew my crank on my r the first day of ridin :huh , but now its all good, u shoulda said it came bent and u jus noticed it!

Dave400ex
05-29-2002, 03:34 PM
That is Nuts. There is no way a $350 or how ever much Steering Stem should Bend in a Roll over. I have flipped mine all the way down a hill and nothing broke or bent, not even the Handlebars. I don`t think a Roll should. He should at least Fix it for Free. I think I`ll stick with Laeger. I know they have Good Service. My Brother called about A-Arms and the lady thought he broke some Racing and said she would Ship some right away. He just wanted to know who had some in Stock. I think that is Good Service.

400exBro
05-29-2002, 03:50 PM
if the roll desing steering stem broke then the stocker is beefer..
i rolled the 400 and the handle bars where bent down to the plastic, both sides, and the stem was perfectly fine...
Maybe roll design doesn't live up to its reputation i have been hearing about, that it is the best you can get and never bend or break. This is the first encounter i have ever heard of roll stuff to break or snap.
lata
Bro

monkeynuts
05-29-2002, 04:50 PM
my lt80 fell out of the sunroof of my leer jet at 10,000 feet. all that happened is my front tire came off the bead and i broke the flex capacitor. i agree with rico

nakomis0
05-29-2002, 06:11 PM
I bent my $300 Arens Stem first ride. In the SAND, 3rd gear wick'd.

Same story they wouldn't replace it. They told me If I could bend that I wouldn't be walking away from the crash or something? But somehow I walked in the store to complain..lol.

I straighted it and rolled it many times, and it still hasn't bent again.

400exRacerX
05-29-2002, 06:16 PM
Yeah mines getting straightened right now. They said it wont loose too much strength since its not hardened.

Dave400ex
05-29-2002, 06:36 PM
I hope it holds up. This might just be me, but I will never Buy a Roll Product. They are to Expensive and should not Bend. Sure just because one Guy had a problem doesn`t mean all of us will, but I would still rather give Laeger or Houser my Money.