PDA

View Full Version : hardend rockers?

jak1389
06-23-2005, 09:15 AM
i am in the process of building a 416, all the mods in sig, and i jsut got off the phone with a guy at the local dealership. he said with a new cam i should get hardend rockers, so i dont destroy the cam or rockers when riding the quad. do i really need this, or is it just another thing that they want me to buy that i dont need? thanks for any help.

parkers30
06-23-2005, 09:23 AM
it depends on the cam and how it is manufactured, the Hotcams do not require hardened rockers, but the webcams do, as they are a hardwelded cam that is ground to spec (you also have to send them your factory cam as a core)

darkstar
06-23-2005, 09:23 AM
i dont know

jak1389
06-23-2005, 09:24 AM
so parkers should i be fine with the hotcams stage 1, and not need the hardend rockers?

parkers30
06-23-2005, 09:27 AM
that would be correct Hotcams are a true drop in

Dark star: what the hell was th point of that post? all you are doing is cluttering the boards

darkstar
06-23-2005, 09:35 AM
i was testing his e-mail when some one post . I am talking to him so **** up.

jak1389
06-23-2005, 09:38 AM
aight thanks alot. those stupid sales people trying to get to buy everything in sight:macho

wilkin250r
06-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Let me tell you what hardened rockers are, and why someone may use them. Then you can make up your own mind.

Some camshaft companies (webcams in particular) don't "manufacture" camshafts from scratch. Instead, they take a stock camshaft, grind all the lobes, weld a NEW material on the lobe areas, and then grind them again for a different profile.

Now comes the problem. Unfortunately, you can't weld the exact same material onto the camshafts that they are made of. The metal they weld on is slightly different, a little bit harder and more abrasive. If you use the stock rockers, the harder material of the new camshaft will wear them out very quickly.

The solution? Put the same material on the rockers. That way, the rocker arms don't wear out as quickly.

However, there ARE some camshaft companies that do make a new camshaft from scratch, and it's made from the exact same material as the stock camshaft. Because it's the same material, you don't need hardened rocker arms. In fact, you don't want your rocker arms hardwelded, or else the harder material on the rockers will wear out your camshaft rather quickly.

jak1389
06-23-2005, 10:11 AM
great info, thanks for the help, now i can show up the parts guys with some new info.

EPDP99
06-23-2005, 11:33 AM
and this is why i have to have my head redone with race springs and hardened rockers is because trinity racing doesnt include that work when you buy a full motor kit. they wont do anything for you when they are ruined either, trust me im dealing with this crap now. so off to a different builder to get my headwork done/"redone". hardened cam need hardened rockers, true drop in cams do not.