PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Side Panels

2000ex
05-28-2002, 09:00 AM
I know that they make the carbon fiber side panels and tank covers, but they are on the pricey side.

I was thinking of getting some of the carbon fiber sticker material from Dennis Kirk and covering the black side panels with it. Has anyone attempted this? I am thinking that a smooth installation may be difficult due to the circle dimples on the panels.

Any ideas?

Tommy 17
05-28-2002, 09:07 AM
ceet graphic kits go over the little holes and u can tell theres a sticker over it so i don't think this idea will work... u can get creative though...

MR.EX-TREME
05-28-2002, 09:19 AM
i've used the sticker carbon fiber on other bikes (crotch rockets)
around the speedo's and the tank and etc... it works great the thing with covering the sides on your ex would be to find a peice big enough to cover it all....and once on and smoothed out just use your finger to push down on the material into the holes a little and use a razor knife to carefully cut around them i think that would look best!! on mine i drilled out the first 5 holes (closest to the front fender to let air out it looks pretty good ..just an idea....
i thinkthe carbon fiber would look good though!!!! try it and let us see some picks when your done!!!! p.s. ---be sure and use wax and grease remover or alot of alcohol to get your plastic clean before you stick it!!!!! good luck!!!! :devil

honda_racer199
05-28-2002, 09:31 AM
My brother just picked up a 400EX saturday, and the guy that owned put the Carbon Fiber Stickers on the side panels, the batterey, and airbox. And this looks extremely HOT!!! I recommend doing it, and he just put them right on without doing anything with the wholes. Sorry I don't have a pic, need to buy a digital cam.:blah

2000ex
06-23-2002, 03:34 PM
Finally got the chance to snap a few pics of my installation. Not a perfect one, and the pics do not do it justice due to the reflection.

I ordered two packages of the carbon fiber sticker from Dennis Kirk, but I only ended up using 1 package. Figured I will have the other package should this not hold up to the mud/water. Let me know what you think

RytM1
06-24-2002, 02:32 PM
You can get the vinyl carbon fiber sheets from www.TapeWorks.com . They sell them by the sheet, and should be big enough to cover the side panels. They also have it in a few different colors. Maier also sells smooth side panels which might make covering them a little easier. I saw them in Rocky Mountain ATV's site.

2000ex
06-25-2002, 08:17 PM
oops, forgot the pics

440exnacsracer
06-25-2002, 09:19 PM
sweet! thats it, im calling dennis kirk...right now cause theyre open 24hours! did you have to cut it and fit in the holes or did it stretch in?:D

generalg
06-25-2002, 11:53 PM
How much did the carbon tape cost from Dennis Kirk?

06-26-2002, 12:18 AM
If its cheap anough, i am doing my side panels, tank cover.

2000ex
06-26-2002, 06:18 AM
Thanks for your replies.

The tape was like $16.99/2 sheets per package. This was just enough to cover the panels with some extra. I did not cut the vinyl to fit over the holes they go right over them, however they do not sit in there perfectly. Getting the sheets to stick in all one piece is damn near impossible due to the curves of the panels. I think I did them in 4 sections/side. I would highly suggest purchasing two packages just in case you make a mistake, also in case the first set does not hold up to the water/elements. I used a blade directly to trim perfectly around the edges of the panels so there is NO overhang.

I could post some really detailed pics of where I trimmed if you guys would like.

The only thing I am concerned about is the long term durability and it's ability to stand up to water, cleanings, mud, etc. Time will tell, but the price is definitely worth the effort.

2000ex
06-26-2002, 06:21 AM
another pic

generalg
06-26-2002, 11:24 AM
I'm also wondering how durable it will be. Riding with my MX boots has stratched the side panels up. This looks to be the ticket for covering those stratches up only if they will not start to rip weat down to look trashy after a couple of rides.

How thick is this sticker material? Identical to the thickness of a sticker kit from One Industries/Factory FX etc?

LOOKS NICE!

Quadfather
06-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Looks real good. I might just have to put a faux hood on my new Maier plastic.

racin 400
06-30-2002, 07:44 PM
I do graphics and other graphic work i can do some good work with carbon and other graphics. PM me for any ?s

Sportrax 400EX
07-12-2002, 05:34 AM
Anyone know how durable this is? Will it hold up or does it scratch easy?

2000ex
07-12-2002, 06:49 AM
Well after having mine on for about a month here are my thoughts. ...

We all know that the stock black side panels are so prone to scratching. It does not take long for them to start looking ratty and beat up. The vinyl carbon fiber stickers are MUCH better when it comes to scratch resistance. In fact mine look just as good as the day they were installed.

My concern is still long term sticking ability after repeated washings, if the water/mud should work it's way into one of the seams. A tight installation with clean seams is a necessity. So far, mine seems to be holding up fine. Time will tell. For the $16 or so, I would say it is definitely worth it.

Quadfather
07-12-2002, 09:11 PM
It should hold up to repeated washings from what I hear. It is made from the same stuff as pin striping material that is used on cars.

yellow_ho_01
07-15-2002, 09:54 AM
i just looked in the 2002 Dennis kirk offroad catalog, and the sheets are only 13.99, comes in a 12x 18" sheet x 2

spincr4hire
07-17-2002, 06:30 AM
Wonder if you were to paint your side panels, if the carbon fiber film would help keep the paint from flaking off, since the plastic does flex some ?

L.Vegas400
07-17-2002, 02:57 PM
are you saying, paint your side panels and then put the film over the paint.:huh if so then why would you even paint them.

Sportrax 400EX
07-18-2002, 04:11 AM
I just got my Carbon fiber sheets from Dennis Kirk. I thought he said the sheets were big enough to cover the whole black panel with some left over!? The ones they sent me aren't even big enough to cover 1 panel without using part of the second sheet. This sucks

spincr4hire
07-18-2002, 06:27 AM
L.Vegas,
The black looks like crap, scratched all to he11, thats why I would paint them first, and not black...maybe silver or something.:D

L.Vegas400
07-18-2002, 06:02 PM
is the film partialy transparent? or is the paint to smooth ot the panel and make the film stick better?

spincr4hire
07-19-2002, 05:24 AM
I'm pretty sure the film is see-thru. You can see the holes thru it on the pics 2000ex posted. The reason for the paint is to get rid of the black color. I'm going to try to paint my side panels, and if I find the paint doesn't hold very well, then I'll repaint them and try the carbon fiber sheets over top of it.

RytM1
07-19-2002, 06:41 AM
Most carbon fiber vinyl sheets I have seen are not transparent. The reason you can see the dimples in the side panels on those pics is because he tried to conform the vinyl to the whole panel, or when it got warm, the vinyl stretched and found its own surface to stick to. If you don't like the look, Maier makes some smooth side panels that would be a little easier to cover.

spincr4hire
07-19-2002, 07:51 AM
Oh, I understand now...:p

Quadfather
07-19-2002, 07:37 PM
I have a couple of the carbon fiber sticker sheets. They are not transparent. I would not paint the side panels first. You would get the best adhesion by wiping the side panels off with a damp alcohol rag first, then applying the sheets. I haven't had time to put mine on yet, but they look exactly like carbon fiber, and the guy I got them from promised that they will outlast the quad, and he knows I ride a Honda.

oldnumberseven
07-19-2002, 08:18 PM
Why bother with stickers that come off........here's a pic of the real thing! FYI These now belong to Chris Waters.

user101
07-19-2002, 09:11 PM
if u would have read the posts before u posted they said the real stuff was pricey. this way u get the look w/o the price

oldnumberseven
07-19-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by user101
if u would have read the posts before u posted they said the real stuff was pricey. this way u get the look w/o the price

I did read the post!!!!!!!! These were'nt "pricey" AND how are you getting "the look" when the vinyl keeps peeling off? Not trying to be an assh0le here.......just thought I'd throw up a pic of the real thing.....damn gotta love how the keybord can convey a message without a tone of voice. :eek:

2000ex
07-19-2002, 10:57 PM
This post was not intended to turn into a pissing contest.

My intentions were to offer a MUCH cheaper alternative for the real deal. Essentially, if it is not going to make my bike faster or handle better I would rather not drop large coin on items that offer nothing but asthetic value. To each his own so to speak.

It was more of an informational post for those looking to clean up their scratched, faded black side panels for less than $20.

As for the pricey portion of your post oldnumberseven, how much were they? I would venture to guess they were well over $100 based upon the small gas tank cover which is $85 from feathercarbon. I got my entire stock replacement plastics from Marcums for under $140, so I would certainly say they are on the pricey side.

oldnumberseven
07-19-2002, 11:26 PM
I had no intentions of turning anything into a "pissing contest". I just thought I'd throw out a photo of the "Pricey" alternative. Which by the way I think I paid about $180.00 for them two years ago........To me $180.00 is not pricey........Oh----sh_t....I know I'm gonna catch **** for that comment! My first post was not intended to belittle anyone or anything.....Like I said before "the keyboard cannot relay tone of voice".

yellowrider
07-20-2002, 08:35 AM
i like those stickers but how do you cut the things to your fenders

can you buy them pre cut:D

i igive trhem 20.00 if they came pre cut!!

L.Vegas400
07-20-2002, 01:54 PM
your last post can be interperated one of two way old#7. one is you are a rich b!#%&, just through money into a quad that you have other people build for you, and you just use to impress your friends with your pricey parts. just like a lot of the ricers around vegas...... now it can also be taken as: you really wanted those side panels so you save up your hard earned money and when the time got right, you bought them.

from this: quote
To me $180.00 is not pricey........Oh----sh_t....I know I'm gonna catch **** for that comment!

it sounds like i would lean more toward the first option. then again maybe im just talking out my @$$ and you have a logical explination for saying that.

Sportrax 400EX
07-22-2002, 05:45 AM
Sorry to interrupt the rant but did the sheets you guys ordered from Dennis Kirk fit the whole panel? Mine aren't big enought to cover the whole thing. Did I get the wrong stuff?

oldnumberseven
07-22-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
your last post can be interperated one of two way old#7. one is you are a rich b!#%&, just through money into a quad that you have other people build for you, and you just use to impress your friends with your pricey parts. just like a lot of the ricers around vegas...... now it can also be taken as: you really wanted those side panels so you save up your hard earned money and when the time got right, you bought them.

from this: quote
To me $180.00 is not pricey........Oh----sh_t....I know I'm gonna catch **** for that comment!

it sounds like i would lean more toward the first option. then again maybe im just talking out my @$$ and you have a logical explination for saying that.

Okay, Here is how it goes.....Vegas.....I am pretty well off when it comes to finances....That is not bragging, it's stating a fact. Yes, I do throw a lot of money into ALL my toys. No, no one builds my toys for me........Look at my website under projects. www.socalquads.com , Half of what I do is building PIMP duners.

As for this comment: "To me $180.00 is not pricey........Oh----sh_t....I know I'm gonna catch **** for that comment!"

Here is my logical explination for saying that.....I do not know how long you've been hangin round this website....but most of the 14 year old dorks here love to post about " I hate rich people" simply because most of them have never worked a day in their life and are jealous of what someone else has earned.......I realize that $180.00 is alot for most people, He!! all 14 y/o's , for some $180.00 is pocket change!

As for my original post for this thread. I cannot see spending $$ on something that is going to peel off the first time you hit the bike with a pressure washer. Since there were several pics of the sticker versions, I attached a picture of the real thing. As for the comment in my 1st post.....looking back...it seems a bit arrogant....but that was not my intention.

L.Vegas......I hit Vegas about once a month in the winter......we should get together and ride sometime......You ride Dumont much?

Castor-426ex
07-22-2002, 04:23 PM
i got more pissing distance than all of you:D

jk...I cant find the carbon fiber sticker paper anywhere oh well

muff
07-22-2002, 08:06 PM
the carbon fiber sheets from dennis kirk

"16 mil sheets with carbon fiber look apply without bubbling or wrinklin
-Not actually carbon fber
-Includes two 12" x 1" sheets"

Part #: 53-1540

http://denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=531540

that link should work, if not copy it and then it should

RytM1
07-22-2002, 09:00 PM
Castor, try www.tapeworks.com , I think they even have a few different colors too.

stocktires
09-08-2002, 11:53 PM
Tru dat #7, I second him on everything he said
buy the real thing guys, dont waste your time and money on this. Ever get a cut on you panels? What would that do to a sticker? hmmmmmmmm..... Then what would the panels look like after the sticker peel and get all wet? Then you'd have to buy new OEM ones or buy the CF ones therefore wasting your money

ROGERS
09-09-2002, 04:30 PM
IF YOU WANT THE REAL THING AND DONT WANT TO SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY YOU COULD ALWAYS MAKE YOUR OWN OUT OF REAL CARBON FIBER. IT REALLY DOESN'T COST THAT MUCH IN FABRIC FORM.
IF YOU EVEN HAVE THE SLIGHTEST ABILITY OR KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO LAY FIBERGLASS IN A MOLD (NOT TOUGH AT ALL) YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN. HECK EVEN USE REGULAR POLYESTER RESIN FROM YOUR LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE, OR WAL-MART.
JUST GET SOME RESIN AND A SHEET OR TWO OF FIBERGLASS @ THE STORE, AND ALSO SOME REAL CARNUBA WAX (NOT THE LIQUID KIND!). THEN YOU WAX THE OUTSIDEOF YOUR PANEL AND LET IT SIT FOR A WHILE UNTIL IT BECOMES CLOUDY. THEN LIGHTLY RUB OFF THE EXCESS LEAVING A THIN COAT ON THE PANEL.
AFTER THAT, GET YOUR FIBERGLASS OUT AND RESIN IT UP AND APPLY TWO OR THREE LAYERS ON YOUR WAXED PANEL (REMEMBER, THE OUTSIDE OF THE PANEL!). LET IT DRY A FEW HOURS OR OVERNIGHT.
THEN IN THE MORNING GO OUT AND PEEL THE FIBERGLASS OFF OF THE SIDE PANEL. THIS WILL BE EASY TO DO B/C YOU USED THE CARNUBA AS A RELEASING AGENT, KIND OF LIKE "PAM" ON YOUR SKILLET.
NEXT, MAKE SURE TO PUT A LITTLE WAX ON THE INSIDE OF YOUR FIBERGLASS MOLD AND PROCEED TO LAY THE CARBON FIBER (THAT YOU ORDERED OFF THE NET AT ONE OF THE MANY SUPPLIERS --DO A SEARCH YOU WILL BE SUPRISED!) USING THE SAME RESIN YOU USED ON THE FIBERGLASS ON THE INSIDE OF THE MOLD. (WHERE YOUR SIDE PANEL WAS). LET IT SET UP , AND PEEL IT OUT AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!!!!!!

TOTAL COST== MAYBE 75-80 SMACKERS FOR BOTH PANELS!!!

tants
09-09-2002, 04:59 PM
i think carbon fiber looks sweet. but there pointless. your just gonna fling mud on them anyways, and they probly save like .0001 ounces. i like them, but wouldnt spend all the $ on them... unless i had everymod possibly done to my quad and money to spare.

Yoshi400ex
09-09-2002, 05:49 PM
do they make it for the 250ex