PDA

View Full Version : blue header pipes

09-16-2001, 07:22 PM
Does anybody else notice their header pipes getting a bluish tint to them for about 6" out of the cylinder. The blue seems to leave when the pipe cools down over nite. I heard that the pipe turns blue when running lean, but my plug looks good and with my mods listed below, I don't think I would be lean. I might lower the clip a notch and see how it runs. Please let me know what you guys think.
John

09-16-2001, 10:39 PM
on my sisters boyfriends yz426 the header pipe is blue and it glows red hot if you let it idle for 5 mins but as for my 400 it never had a blueish color

bsr
09-16-2001, 11:14 PM
Never heard of the head pipe turning blue. I have heard of them turning red. I don't think running to lean would do that, maybe if it is running to rich. maybe its just your head pipe, are you using stock head pipe ? they sell heat treatment that goes on your pipe and head.

inacoma91
09-16-2001, 11:23 PM
All new headers and pipes do that when they are brand new. Something about the metal when its new. I have ran numerous amounts of 2stroke pipes when they were new and they all did that at the start. As long as your plug readings are good and the bike runs good i wouldnt worry about it.

Andrew

09-17-2001, 01:49 PM
mine is always blue!!!!!!!!!! i thought it would go away after night but it didnt , must be a jetting prob.

400exBro
09-17-2001, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by McgrathSucks
on my sisters boyfriends yz426 the header pipe is blue and it glows red hot if you let it idle for 5 mins but as for my 400 it never had a blueish color

That is a prblem if your head pipe glows a redish colour, it means you melted the head pipe, i had a couple friends do that to their 400 before they just pounded the **** out of them and it melt around the clynder, i don t know about the yz426 but i would have some one check it out to make sure.!!!! :mad: :grr

As for the blue head pipe i know that that is a way to check if you are running to lean or to rich, if you just jetted it and put pipe and stuff on!! If you didn t i think it should be fine :D
Lata
400exBro

09-17-2001, 05:24 PM
my head pipe is always blue.and two other friends with a 400 and 416 are blue too.im not worried.if something breaks i will just replace with better

nakomis0
09-17-2001, 05:59 PM
A blue headpipe sometimes means a lean condition, but mines blue too, just because it gets real hot. I think it looks cool:)