PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever worked on a scooter before?

derekhonda
06-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Alright, a kid my sister babysits asked me to look at his scooter cause it was acting funny. There are/were 5 problems:

1: Steers to the right (fixed, wheel was offset due to a wreck)

2: Leaks Gas

3: Leaks Oil

4: Throttle isnt responsive

5: Wants to take off when running

Basically, as soon as you start it, it wants to run and if you don't have a brake lever squeezed it is going to. It wants to run at about 8-10 mph at an Idle however the throttle cable is not even engaged at that point. And then when you do give it gas it wants to die if you accelerate all the way. If not, it very slowly climbs up to speed.

I know there are multiple problems, I just do not understand how they tie together. Any Ideas? Its a "Big Chief" brand 49 cc.

Myrtle150
06-23-2005, 08:42 AM
well find out where the gas/oil is leakin from, adjust the play in the throttle cable, and adjust the clutch

derekhonda
06-23-2005, 09:05 AM
how would I go about adjusting the clutch. I thought that might have been the problem too but I was going to check out the carb first. Thanks alot, I figured someone might know something about these little crap machine. Thanks.

trick250r
06-23-2005, 10:44 AM
if you can find the leaks and they're like a hole, i think permatex makes a leak stop. it goes on even if the surface is soaking wet.

as far as it dieing when you give it full throttle, it sounds to me like its too rich. maybe try and lean it out if there is an adjustment.

Hon300ex
06-23-2005, 10:58 AM
my scooter just went wen it started to. the throttle cable is to short so its like the throttle is already being pulled back. the throttle is responsive could be the centrifical [sp?] clutch. the gas may leak if it has a palstic gas tank on the side of it becuz if the rider wrecked the plastic gets scratched enough were it becomes a hole if that makes any sense...

derekhonda
06-23-2005, 11:01 AM
nah it has a metal tank and the throttle cable isnt short, I think the clutch is just engaging at idle and it shouldnt be. How do you loosen up a cyntrifical clutch though?

06-23-2005, 11:32 AM
depends on the clutch. there may be a set skrey holding it on the crankshaft. or a bolt in the end. just take it apart and have a look. sounds to me like a spring in the clutch is broen.

DillonTMNT
06-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Maybe the idler screws on the carb? Does the throttle cable have adjustment screws liek a bicycle lever?

-Dillon