PDA

View Full Version : Gusseting Frame Questions

FoxRacing81
06-22-2005, 04:23 PM
I want to gusset my frame myself, but I have some questions.

I already know where to gusset the frame at, but what kind of metal should I use for the gussets?

What kind of welder? I have a stick welder and was hoping to get away with that by maybe just buying a different kind of rod.

My dad wants to know if the frame is straight steel or alloy.

And anything else you think I should know.

Thanks guys
-Justin

schulte_85
06-22-2005, 05:57 PM
I definately wouldn't use a Stick welder. It is very hard to make a clean looking weld with stick. I would either use a wire welder or if you can have someone tig it for you. That would work the best.

250-R-250
06-23-2005, 01:08 PM
A stick welder will work fine, for a long bead thats what I prefer...Just make sure you get good penetration!!and you can always grind down a bad looking one, its not for looks though its for the strength

Pappy
06-23-2005, 01:22 PM
mig or tig only.

250-R-250
06-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Sorry to bust up the party but pappy check you PM!!!!

rmw7949
06-23-2005, 01:28 PM
You could use a stick, Powder coating will hide small imperfections. Or u could tack it w/ ur stick and then take it to a pro and have it tig'ed. I think im pretty good welder when its fence posts and buildin trailers. Just somethin about having a pro welder welding on my frame. Gives ya that warm safe feelin........................ya know what I mean. Just kiddin do what ever floats ya boat!

Pappy
06-23-2005, 01:39 PM
if i ever saw a person gussting a frame with a stick welder i would beat them about the head repeatedly.

i have seen welds so bad and attempts so poor that it borderlined on dangerous, not too mention it did not stregthen the frame it indeed weakend it. and this was with mig and mig welds using flux core wire.

never...never should poor welds be covered up with anything. let it stick out as a reminder that you should have done it right:D

rmw7949
06-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
if i ever saw a person gussting a frame with a stick welder i would beat them about the head repeatedly.

i have seen welds so bad and attempts so poor that it borderlined on dangerous, not too mention it did not stregthen the frame it indeed weakend it. and this was with mig and mig welds using flux core wire.

never...never should poor welds be covered up with anything. let it stick out as a reminder that you should have done it right:D If done properly w/ the correct rod, settings, and gusset material in the correct places a stick will be every bit as strong as a tig weld. I was only refering to the visual aspect of the weld. Tig does look better and may be stronger w/ alloys but I dont think were talkin aluminum here? Mild steel no? Anyways like I said earlier just take it 2 a pro. They get paid 2 weld we get paid to race. Some of us anyways. You get my point , SAFETY #1

Pappy
06-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by rmw7949
If done properly w/ the correct rod, settings, and gusset material in the correct places a stick will be every bit as strong as a tig weld. I was only refering to the visual aspect of the weld. Tig does look better and may be stronger w/ alloys but I dont think were talkin aluminum here? Mild steel no? Anyways like I said earlier just take it 2 a pro. They get paid 2 weld we get paid to race. Some of us anyways. You get my point , SAFETY #1

when i see you running a frame gusseted with a stick then i will acknowldge you being honest. you speak of safety yet with your responses show you have little if any actual expierence in the field of welding and its attributes. trust me, you say it and 100 people will brake out grand dad's arc welder and ruin frames. this i know because the last thread awhile back had several frames arrive here shortly there after with more birdchit weld then id ever seen in one place.

can you gusste a frame with an arc/stick welder? yes

chances you will have a positive outcome even from a first rate welder? pretty slim almost none.

the only thing i can agree with you on is the fact that a professional welder should be handling your gusset work.

rmw7949
06-23-2005, 02:17 PM
U dont agree a profesinal welder under the right conditions could do a good job w/a stick?. I have done nothing but refer to profesional welders and no I am not one like I said earlier but if u want I'll give you the # of 1 that can and will. I wont disagree w/you about the fact that when I do have mine done It will be done w/a tig or a mig . ONly because of the visual aspect, I've seen things that require far more tensile strength than a quad frame be welded w/a stick, but I do understand your concern 4 safety.Litsen hear kids, NO WELDING should be done on your quad w/out being a certified welder. that being said I'm sure Pappy will agree w/ that statement.

FoxRacing81
06-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Well...I guess to be safe I'll just get my uncle to do it with his Mig Welder...Thanks guys.

-Justin