PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Taper handlebars

EX400rider
06-22-2005, 11:40 AM
I need new handelbars and im pretty sure i want Pro Taper. The fat bars look awesome. The ones i want are called "Pro Taper contour 1 1/8" handlebars" Im not for sure if i should get low mid or hi bend bars. Could somone tell me about these bars and if u have pix please send!! I will really appreciate this if ppl get back to me. THANKS

300ex mxracer
06-22-2005, 11:44 AM
wat do u ride?

400grl
06-22-2005, 12:36 PM
I have Pro Taper Fat bars on my YFZ.....I love them. They are great bars - I have the CR low-bend bars - if you have a tall stem, you will want lower bend bars - if you have a stock length stem and want to keep your bar height close to stock, then you should go with the high bend bars.......

300ex73
06-22-2005, 02:08 PM
I use Pro Tapers on my 300EX, and they work great. I rolled mine down the road in like 4th gear, and didn't even bend the bars. Bent my steering stem and 2 rims though. Pretty nasty wreck, at least I was wearing my gear. Still came out of it bruised, scraped, and with a broken wrist. But anyways.

If you wanna run a taller stem, or use the stock stem with an adapter kit, then I'd use CR or CR high bend. If you're going to run an aftermarket stock length, or +1 inch stem, I'd say use the Pastrana FMX bend. They're a little taller, and have a good feel to them.

EX400rider
06-22-2005, 03:38 PM
I have an 04 ex 400 thats stock. Im putting sum money into it though and want pro taper. Y dont yall get ATV bends and not CR. I dont get it???

FoxRacing81
06-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by EX400rider
I have an 04 ex 400 thats stock. Im putting sum money into it though and want pro taper. Y dont yall get ATV bends and not CR. I dont get it???

IMO, I think ATV bend bars are way to tall to be comfortable...I am a tall guy and I hate high bend bars..

on my 426, I run -1 1/2in lower then stock pro pegs with Factory 909 CR High bend bars. This setup feels awesome and suites me perfect. (I'm 6'3)...I personally just hate the feel of ATV bend bars...I have some on my warrior and can't stand em.

Are you looking for something lower for more of a racier feel or taller...or just the same? I doubt you'll find fat bars (which are the 1 1/8s you said you like...stock width is 7/8s) as tall as the stock bars...you'd definatly need some risers or a taller stem. 1 1/8s bars require bigger clamps too.

-Justin

NacsMXer
06-22-2005, 04:25 PM

An "ATV Bend" is simply a bend that is similar to the bend of the handlebars that came stock on the machine. "CR-style" bends are similar to what comes standard on Honda CR dirtbikes.

Since a lot of us are into aggressive, stand-up style riding, ATV bends are not as appealing since they have too much pull-back to them. Pull-back is how much the bars bend back towards you when you're sitting on the quad. For example, a CR High bend has much less pull-back so it is a lot straighter than a 400EX bend. Also, due to the ergonomics of a dirtbike, CR-style bends are consequently much lower than an ATV bend.

It's all about the type of riding you do, but a straighter bar gives you much more control and comfort in aggressive riding conditions than a "stock 400EX bend" would ;)

FasstMidnightZ
06-22-2005, 04:55 PM
ohh that kinda helps me to. Thanks

EX400rider
06-22-2005, 04:58 PM
I like how the stock bars are. But what i really want is the Pro Taper but, it doesnt have to be, yes i do ride agresive and really hard. Somtimes i just poke around though. Race everyonce in a while. Does this give u guys a better idea of me?? O i want bars so i can keep stock stem and all that other stuff up there. Do yall no of a handlebar that would fit me best. THANKS!

EX400rider
06-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Also would i have to get new stuff for 1 1/8" handlebars? I would rather get fat bars but crossbar willl work also. I just wanna keep the front stock cause im on a budget and want other stufff too

bwamos
06-22-2005, 05:57 PM
I'd get CR-High for your situation.

Fat Bars, 7/8 w/ crossbar.. it's just all personal preference.

I prefer Renthals w/ a crossbar.. but that's just me. Think it's an 80's thing.. lol.

And, I prefer my $40 renthal bars to bend before my $200 steering stem does. ;)

Shrk352
06-22-2005, 10:42 PM
I have the pro taper 7/8ths in the RM high bend (because they didnt have anything else at the shop) and I love them they are very comfortable and they look good. I got the black bars so the black and yellow really match my yellow 400ex.

QuadJunkies
07-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
An "ATV Bend" is simply a bend that is similar to the bend of the handlebars that came stock on the machine. "CR-style" bends are similar to what comes standard on Honda CR dirtbikes.

Since a lot of us are into aggressive, stand-up style riding, ATV bends are not as appealing since they have too much pull-back to them. Pull-back is how much the bars bend back towards you when you're sitting on the quad. For example, a CR High bend has much less pull-back so it is a lot straighter than a 400EX bend. Also, due to the ergonomics of a dirtbike, CR-style bends are consequently much lower than an ATV bend.

It's all about the type of riding you do, but a straighter bar gives you much more control and comfort in aggressive riding conditions than a "stock 400EX bend" would ;)

thats EXACTLY where Im at right now, my atv bend bars makes me feel out of proportion, hands are too bent when standing and doesnt feel vary natural, I just bought the Hi bend Pro Tapers and Im going to have to go and exchange them out for a strighter bar of some kind, maybe a CR Hi bend and get a Riser as well, right now Im running a +1 stem and I think I could use +1 more in height , right now Im just concentrating on fiding the right bend,which is very little :ermm:. I too was told to try the Pastrana but I know I can get a CR Hi in stock locally,mihgt give that a try. :)

07-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Also would i have to get new stuff for 1 1/8" handlebars? I would rather get fat bars but crossbar willl work also. I just wanna keep the front stock cause im on a budget and want other stufff too you need bigger clamps, get cr low or high depending on rider prefrence and tusk offraod clamp kit that bolst on to the existing clamp giving a 3/4 inch rise the clamps are 34.95 i beleieve? www.rockymountainatv.com