PDA

View Full Version : Carb questions

HeyWatchThis
06-22-2005, 08:47 AM
I've done a search in the powertrain section for all the carb threads and it seems there are 2 carbs that folks like, FCR and Edelbrock; the majority of folks prefer the FCR.

Why I'm posting on such an already hashed topic is because I couldn't really find any specifics regarding rider styles, maintenance and reliability. Most threads refer to performance differences and I infered that most comments were made from the perspective of riders who raced at the track and needed any/all competetive edge they can obtain...

I'm a weekend warrior for the most part and don't race. I mostly ride trails which range from very technically difficult terrain (think rocky creek beds, carved out jump trails) to long service roads. I'm also 33 years old and like putting around with friends because sometimes I just don't have the stamina for hardcore riding like I used too. :)

I require little maintenance as I value my riding time more than I value tuning my quad in order to play. I commonly ride at elevations of 1000-4000 feet and get deep into the woods; I'd hate to have to walk back. Relibability is crucial.

With all that in mind, I want an easily tunable carb that compliments my current setup and will take any further mods I might want to make to the engine. I'm not fond of changing jets.

I'm currently an all stock 2000 400ex and just ordered:
- K&N air filter
- FMF Q2 muffler (I ride in places that enforce noise restrictions...)
- FMF Powerbomb headers
- Full set of tires, Kings KT-111 & 112

Now, with this setup and my riding style & requirements would folks still reccommend the FCR over the Edelbrock?

Thanks for your time reading this long post :)
~Joe

HeyWatchThis
06-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Well, after thinking on it most of the day, I said screw it and ordered the Edelbrock. It will be here Friday.

Hopefully I made a sound choice.

06-22-2005, 07:02 PM
the edelbrok is said to be a little finicky. but it is really adjustible I guess.