PDA

View Full Version : studs

donniebrooke
06-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Does anyone know how to, or even if you can remove the studs from the exhaust mounts on a 400ex. I twisted one off and need to replace it. Is this even possible?

greg_gorrell
06-22-2005, 10:33 PM
idk but one of mine came out too...the nit is still stuck on it but im have it soaking it some silicon penetrate right now. im still deciding what im gonna do but ill let you know.

donniebrooke
06-23-2005, 06:02 AM
thanks man.

HeyWatchThis
06-24-2005, 08:20 AM
They are removeable. If you want to back out a stud to replace it, use 2 nuts. Put both nuts on the stud and snug them up against one another, then wrench the inner nut. This will back the whole stud out.

I just ordered all new studs and bolts for mine after i backed one out prepping for a new exhaust. A stud was bent and i got cross threading on the exhaust side. I noticed they were all a bit corroded and discoloring the nuts on them.

Be carefull tightening them or reusing a stud that is corroded, you don't want to cross thread/strip the aluminum. Replacement cost was ~$12.00 for a full set of exhaust studs and nuts from honda parts.

donniebrooke
06-24-2005, 08:38 AM
so then i assume that i will be turning the inners nut left like i am loosening it?

HeyWatchThis
06-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Yup, the 2 nuts bind one another, use the inner to back out, and the outer to thread in or tighten. Threads on these studs seem normal - lefty loosy, righty tighty.

donniebrooke
06-24-2005, 08:48 AM
that makes sense. thanks for all your help.