PDA

View Full Version : painting my frame

greg_gorrell
06-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Alright, well it turns out i dont have enough money for a powercoat which really sucks so i have to paint my frame. Im going with a black and i checked out por-15 but a lof of posts had people saying that the UV rays fade the color so im going to stay away form that. I also checked out Rust Bullet. It seems like a pretty good product to me but i was wondering if anyone else has used this. Another question i have is, which is stronger, acrylic or epoxy enamel? If i can find them for cheap i buy which ever is stronger and use an airgun to put it on but as i understand, rust bullet is brushed on. thanks.

Out_Sider
06-22-2005, 09:36 AM
i've always heard epoxy enamel is stronger

greg_gorrell
06-22-2005, 10:15 PM
alright well my buddy is beadblasting it tommorrow. i guess he also has access to a chemical dip or something that will prime it and he says that is some tough stuff. so idk i used to have a friend with some powerdercoating equipment so im gonna see who he sold it to and find out how much the guy charges. if its too much them ill just put some epoxy enamal on it guess. hows that sound?

400exrider36
06-24-2005, 09:24 PM
about how much is it to get your frame powdercoated anyway?

06-24-2005, 09:34 PM
depends on where you live some places are $500 :eek2: others could be $150 :D

prepracing
06-24-2005, 10:28 PM
I had my frame, subframe, and swingarm powdercoated for $160 but the sandblasting was another $30 dollars extra. I painted my a-arms with acyrlic enamel and then clearcoated over that and have been riding hard on them for 6months and they still look great. And that was acyrlic enamel from a rattle can it has really surprised me how well it has held up

Mxjunkie
06-24-2005, 11:06 PM
My boss painted his and he races his everyweekend and his has lasted 2-3 years, we use expoxy primers, the only place his wore off was where his boots rubbed on the frame.

I glass beed all the parts that would fit in the machine then sand blasted the rest, cleaned the parts down, sprayed the expoxy, color and clear. I should of gone with a single stage paint that has your clear in it so I could touch it up but oh well looks good :blah:

greg_gorrell
06-25-2005, 08:44 PM
do they make and epoxy enamal paint? if so im gonna get it back form the beadblasting and ill have that primer **** on it so ill just sand it down with like 600 grit or something and then ill put about 6 or so light coats of that epoxy enamal paint it they make it. i wanted to go with a red that would match my duncan graphics but now im thinking metalic black. anyways i havw to take my a-arms apart tommorrow morning and get them to him but the rubber on my tie rod ends is getting bad so ill have to be careful with that.

greg_gorrell
06-25-2005, 08:46 PM
oh mxjunkie, did you use an airbrush, that looks nice