PDA

View Full Version : Set Up A Quad for XC ???

Quad18star
06-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Alright .... This might not be in the right section , but I dont know what other section to put it in , so it's going into this one until someone maybe moves it :D .

Well I've been contemplating what I'm gunna do with my quad ... I got an 04 YFZ . First I toggled with the idea of an MX machine , then thought about a TT setup . ( MX would be my first choice but I cant race that anymore , TT is cool but we dont have a big enough series) ...So now I'm thinking about seting it up as an XC machine .

What are some of the better products known in the XC world ?? I won't race but am gunna use it to ride the woods when I'm able to get back to riding . I already have Hipers ( 8 inch rear though ) , Tag CR Double High bars , Tether cord, Exhaust , nerfs , thicker seat .

What width axle is best? A-arms? Shocks? I'm new to the XC stuff so help me out please . Doesn't matter what type of machien your stuff is on , I'm mostly looking for product manufacturer feedback . :)

hardkoratvmxr
06-21-2005, 08:00 PM
rpm xc axle, houser +1 lt a-arms and elka lt shocks razr2 front tires razr 1 rears

brian-250
06-21-2005, 08:02 PM
stock is the best width for XC if you do buy arms dont go over +1, for shocks id say go with elka tripple rates and have Laz at GTthunder work then over for you. handguards are a must, and razor2's are a good XC tire, anything else just ask.

cletusEX
06-21-2005, 08:05 PM
It all depends how much money you want to throw in it. A lot of guys run stock axle and stock a-arms, but if you want to go aftermarket I wouldn't go too much wider. I would get your shocks revalved for your weight and XC riding (GT Thunder did mine and they are awesome but I've heard good things from Derisi) or aftermarket shocks if they are in the budget. I would also recommend a steering dampner. Once again it depends on your budget. I love my WER but a whole bunch of people love the less expensive stick types (Denton/PEP). Also most XC racers run a 9 inch rear but if your not racing a good set of 20 inch rears on those 8 inch rims should work. There is always more stuff you can add but those are the basics.

raptorman2001
06-21-2005, 08:07 PM
yea go with gt thunder for all your work motor or accosiery work they are great but any way if you get hand guards try the acesbie or the power madds i have went throught about seven bikes and all of them had one of those two hand gaurds on them!

Chino
06-21-2005, 09:29 PM
axis shocks ars/fx front and rear end, rpm axle :devil:

raptorman2001
06-21-2005, 09:40 PM
i would go with this set up you already got the hyper those are important thing

jd preformance stock legnth or +1's arms
custom axis front shocks
jd preformance swinger
rpm xc axle
rear custome axis shock
let gt thunder gusset your frame or buy a aftermarket one
maybe a sticker kit for looks
pro pegs
and if you have the money get some tire balls there awsome

Quad18star
06-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info so far . I've dealt with GT Thunder when I bought their graphics kit ... they seem like a bunch of nice people .

Who makes the best skid plate for XC riding... cuz I'll deffinately need one of those !!!!

Mxjunkie
06-21-2005, 10:26 PM
from what it sounds prm has a pretty badass skid plate, I allways make my own skidplates, I buy a sheet of aluminum from the local metal shop .250 I belive and its 40 dollars, I make a templet of the frame, cut it, make brackets and there we are.

For xc you can almost run a stock quad so you wouldnt need much to swap over, nice suspension is a plus, +2 +1 aarms and a +2 backend is about the WIDEST you want to go.

raptorman2001
06-21-2005, 10:27 PM
go with pro armor or gyt-r(genuwine yamaha) skids those are great too just do not ever get ac stuff i have had tons of trouble out of there products

raptorman2001
06-21-2005, 10:28 PM
and no you dont want a +2 front end the most you want in the front is a +1 and int he back the axle is adjustable just set it at the same

Mxjunkie
06-21-2005, 10:30 PM
the tracks here +2 is the limit, I dont know how it were you guys ride, theres probaly 1 or two you could get away with +3 and such

raptorman2001
06-21-2005, 10:35 PM
no i was just sayin in my oppion i would not want to go over a +1 front end because then you cant get through some of the tight spots in the woods

parkers30
06-22-2005, 08:36 AM
a plus 2 front end would put you at almost 50" most people try and stick pretty close to 46" for XC and trail riding