PDA

View Full Version : New Raptor owner needing help

KillerBee
06-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Hello all.
It's been quite awhile since I've posted at this site.
I just bought a 2003 Raptor last week at a dealer auction.
I don't have any idea on the ATV's history and although I've owned a few 300ex's, 400ex's, and a few utlity quads I have NO experience with the Raptors.
Visually the ATV looks to be in excellent condition.
It is all stock, the stock tires look new, all decals are in place, the plastic is perfect.
It appears that the ATV has very low hours on it and is very clean.

When I bought it the battery was dead so I've haven't heard it run yet.
I charged the battery overnight and it turned over fine but wouldn't start.
I bought a new plug but I haven't had the free time to install it.
From doing a little searching on the internet I noticed some talk regarding the parking brake keeping these ATV's from running?
I figured out (I think) how to engage the parking brake, but it doesn't seem to work, the bike still rolls with the parking brake is engaged.
Possibly the parking brake cable is stuck?
I am hoping to install the new plug, check for spark, and get this this beast running.

So for the experts, does the parking brake keep the engine from starting?
Should the parking brake be on or off to start?
If the parking brake is the problem would the ATV turn over but not start?
Is there anythign else I can check that would cause the ATV to turn over but not start?

Robin Hood
06-21-2005, 07:46 PM
My parking brake never worked either, actually, everyone who owns a quad around here has never really had their's work either.

Mine starts up without the parking brake engaged. Check your starter relay, located behind your battery, when my relay went bad it would click, but nothing would happen. Can you describe the symptoms a little more? Like are there any sounds or noises when you try to turn it over? Good luck.

BTW the relay is a little square black box with somw wires coming out the top of it.

KillerBee
06-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the response.
Once I charged the battery my Raptor's engine will turn over fine when I push the starter button but it won't start.
I'm gonna use the new spark plug and see if the quad has a spark, then install it.
I just wanted to make sure there isn't some safety device on the quad that would allow it to turn over but not start.
I plan to get a service manual as I have NO experience with Raptors.

troutman561
06-21-2005, 08:57 PM
is the gas on? check the switch for it on the right side top of the engine where the plastics basicly stop

KillerBee
06-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Gas is turned on and tank is 3/4 full

troutman561
06-21-2005, 10:21 PM
well i have no idea, i have a friend with a raptor and he hasnt had to much good luck with it... but good luck with ur purchase and enjoy riding

tater_kamik
06-21-2005, 11:05 PM
so it turns over fine, but will not ignite. have you ohmed out your coil? definately need to check the spark plug... do this, put the new plug on the coil but then ground out the side of the plug and try to start it. you should see spark! if you dont, it eliminates a lot of crap, and vice versa.

Robin Hood
06-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Check the spark plug, fuel lines, maybe carb, if its turning over your electrical is fine, it sounds like a fuel problem. Check your air box while your at it too. Good luck.

KillerBee
06-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I checked it for spark today with a new plug, holding it against the frame. It has spark.
I installed the new plug,and put fresh gas in it, it turned over but wouldn't start, same as before.
While attempting to start it I noticed gas was dripping fairly steady out of the 2 tubes coming out the bottom of the carbs and running down to the swingarm, I assume these are overflow tubes.
I'm thinking the carbs need rebuilt.
From looking at the ATV it appears to have been ridden VERY little and parked for quite awhile (like over a year).
I'm thinking the fuel in the carbs has turned to varnish.
I'm going to remove the airfilter and spray some starting fluid up
in the carbs and see if it fires briefly.

I called the local ATV shop and we discussed the problem.
He feels the same way as I do.
I'm planning on taking it in and having him go through the carbs and check the rest of the ATV over.
The bummer is I can't get it in for 2 weeks :(

Feel free to add any suggestion or opnions.

tater_kamik
06-22-2005, 10:04 PM
buy one off of ebay! quick and cheap! probably take a week to get it. or you can take it apart yourself too see if something is obvios and clean it up. just a couple of hours of your time, worst comes to worse, after you look at it you have to get it rebuilt, but if you find something...

MR.BIG
06-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by KillerBee
Thanks for the responses.
I checked it for spark today with a new plug, holding it against the frame. It has spark.
I installed the new plug,and put fresh gas in it, it turned over but wouldn't start, same as before.
While attempting to start it I noticed gas was dripping fairly steady out of the 2 tubes coming out the bottom of the carbs and running down to the swingarm, I assume these are overflow tubes.
I'm thinking the carbs need rebuilt.
From looking at the ATV it appears to have been ridden VERY little and parked for quite awhile (like over a year).
I'm thinking the fuel in the carbs has turned to varnish.
I'm going to remove the airfilter and spray some starting fluid up
in the carbs and see if it fires briefly.

I called the local ATV shop and we discussed the problem.
He feels the same way as I do.
I'm planning on taking it in and having him go through the carbs and check the rest of the ATV over.
The bummer is I can't get it in for 2 weeks :(

Feel free to add any suggestion or opnions.

Why don't you just do it yourself! Take the carb off and clean it, it is very simple. Just pull the bowl off clean the floats, main jet ,pilot jet, and needle and seat. It is very easy to do, if you have any mechanical ability you won't have a problem. Good luck!

KillerBee
06-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
Why don't you just do it yourself! Take the carb off and clean it, it is very simple. Just pull the bowl off clean the floats, main jet ,pilot jet, and needle and seat. It is very easy to do, if you have any mechanical ability you won't have a problem. Good luck!

Believe me if I had the free time I would have already tore into it :devil:
Unfortunately the wife and I are finishing up building our new house.
We are in the process of moving out of our old house and into the new one, we are finalizing the sale of our old house but still keeping up on all the yardwork and upkeep there along with 10,000 other thing going on at the same time :mad:
I also am getting ready to start building the new 30x40 garage to put all my toys in.
The wifegod already raised an eyebrow when I brought the Raptor home and parked it next to my other ATV, my street bike, and my son's 01 CR 125.
I also own a number of old musclecars that I'm getting ready to bring over to the new house. I have been putting off working on the old cars for quite awhile until these projects are finally done and I think wifegod seeing me tearing the carbs off the Raptor and cleaning them while there's soo many other more important things to do right now might be the thing that causes her head to spin around on her shoulders. That's never a good thing.
I talked to the mechanic again today and I'm gonna take it over to his shop tomorrow, he's gonna try to get at it ASAP if he finds the free time. I'm also gonna have him check the quad over front to back since I have no history on it. One less project for me to worry about at this time.
Thanks.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/p61f436883bf17f5a5fe8862b59236600/f536703e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/pa24fb21911e283bed4cca6d29812446e/f52b7e6e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid158/p1acc82529e9e6fc368a367aeda773a27/f51fb34c.jpg

tater_kamik
06-23-2005, 10:37 PM
nice toys! i understand the time problem, i just moved and that pretty much killed my raptor project. now im way off schedule!!!

ftballitis719
06-30-2005, 08:42 AM
kick it a few times, shell start right up

06-30-2005, 09:06 PM
nice cars man, cleanin a carb only takes like 10 min all you do is yank the cab out take off the bowl and spray carb cleaner into all the jets and other little holes but it souns like there is something wrong with the float to me if and when you clean the carb take the float off and see iff the needle with the rubber tip has a ring worn around it ;)

Racing Rice
07-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Nice collection of toys! Goodluck getting the Rappy running, keep us posted on what you find.

KillerBee
07-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Picked up my 03 Raptor from the repair shop today.
It's running great!!
Compression was excellent.
The owner of the repair shop said the carbs were full of gas turned into varnish :ermm:
He soaked them for 2 days.
He also went over the ATV front to back, he said the machine is in perfect condition.
We've come to the conclusion that my Raptor definitely hasn't been run in probably over a year.
I think the previous owner bought it new in 2003 getting a bank loan on it, rode it a couple times and parked it in his garage or shed.
The thing sat untouched for quite awhile. He eventually stopped making payments on it and the bank reposessed it.

It's runnign strong now, cranked a nice wheelie going up the driveway.
Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice.
Now on to the next project, the right headlight is not working how hard to replace the bulb?

tater_kamik
07-07-2005, 06:18 PM
personally i would use the bulb as an excuse to get some new lights! :devil: check out rivamotorsports for an illustrated parts breakdown, check the cost, and you will see how to do it! well, kind of...

tater_kamik
07-07-2005, 06:20 PM
http://216.37.204.203/Yamaha_OEM/YamahaATV.asp?Type=13&A=237&B=40

that is the link, better representation than i thought...:cool:

KillerBee
07-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the link.
What's the best aftermarket bulb for the Raptor?

tater_kamik
07-07-2005, 08:29 PM
i couldnt tell you that, i have heard of people using an automotive bulb but i couldnt tell you, i will research it a little bit and let ya know
:D

KillerBee
07-07-2005, 08:35 PM
The guy who went through my carbs told me they were halagens :confused:

tater_kamik
07-07-2005, 08:57 PM
that would be your everyday light bulb, including the ones that are in your home. but for an aftermarket one, i assume you mean a brighter light, such as the sylvania superwhite ones or whatever they are called. personally, i would stick with the stock ones for now because with many of the aftermarket ones (higher wattage, different gas, etc) actually suck. for example, the really annoying blue tinted bulbs that imitate hid's. they dont work well because of the blue tinting on the bulb, and because they are usually higher attage they are hotter and have a tendency to melt things. the best ones i have found aftermarket wise are the sylvania ones. piaa are great but they are too high priced (80\pair vs 40/pair sylvanias) i think your best bet for brighter light would be going for some trailtech lights, which will run you 100-120, or get the stock bulb which costs under 15. or you can get some real hid's from trail tech and i will be jealous!:D