PDA

View Full Version : How do u disassemble a Shock?

300excrazy98
06-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Hey i just bought some works shrocks with remote ressies, the springs are alittle chipped and I want to take the springs off so i can get them blasted and powdercoated, i also want to polish them! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

06-23-2005, 09:12 AM
are those preload adjustable, if so take of the rezzies and keep unscrewin the preload ring untill it comes off

bwamos
06-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Those are the AT-Steelers and don't have the preload adjustment colar option.

You can use a spring compressor to take the tension off so you can unscrew the end that you can't see in your photo. (or you can redneck it and use a couple tiedowns. ;)

Move the rubber stopper up.. so you can use a vicegrip on the shaft where the stopper sits incase you scuff it it wont matter. then just unscrew the lower mount from the shaft.

DO NOT remove the ressy. The ressies are presurized with nitrogen.. and you will have to send the shocks back to the manufacturer to get them fixed.

yamablaster24
06-23-2005, 01:57 PM
yeah if you take those rezzis of 300 PSI of Nitrogen and shock oil will come shooting out. Try not to use visegrips on the shaft at all.....thats only gonna cause a burr in the shaft and eventually give youa leak

just put the shock on your a-arms stand on the bike put some zip ties to hold it compressed ( the springs) then take it off the shock will rebound then you take metal rings out of unpictured side once you do thise it will all fall apart.

m250r
06-23-2005, 03:49 PM
yamablaster24 check ur PM's

bwamos
06-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
Try not to use visegrips on the shaft at all.....thats only gonna cause a burr in the shaft and eventually give youa leak

That's why I said move the rubber stop and use the vicegrips where the rubber stopper usually sits. The shock seals will never touch the shaft in that location. I put a piece of slit rubber tubing (for a vaccume/vent line on a car) around it then use the vicegrips. ;)

There are special tools for it.. but that's the down and dirty way. ;)

vinson581
06-25-2005, 08:44 AM
here is the PROPER way to do it, and i have done it one various shocks,and it wont damage them at all....

ok here it goes.

1. get one of those quick clamps that have rubber on them, put one clamp on the spring, and the other on the bottom of the shock EYE- where the bolt runs through
2. start squezeing the handle of the quick clamp, and the spring will compress, and reveal a little metal clip under the top spring stop..pull that clip OFF
3. now the spring is going to have tons of play in it, push it all the way to the top towards the rezzi. at the bottom of the shock shaft is the big shock base / spring retainer lets call it. push it off the shock eye, and you will see there is a BIG notch in it so it will come off the shaft.
4. pull the springs off, noteing the order of the BLACK spring seats, and the bottom limiter for the WHITE spring.
5. reassemble the same way....

P.S- DONT PAINT THESE SHOCKS, DO NOT USE A SPRAY PAINT ON THEM, IT WILL TURN THE POWDERCOAT TO MUSHY GLOBS- you must strip the powdercoat, and then RE_Powdercoat!

v581