PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil

300exjoe
06-21-2005, 03:05 PM
i got a new quad and changed my oil to synthetic ,when i took it in to the dealer for some service they tried to tell me that synthetic is bad for your engine till you get tit properly broke in.... they said 150 to 200 hours is this crazy.....?

frosti108
06-21-2005, 03:06 PM
theyre right. you should def break your **** in before switching to synthetic

wooph
06-21-2005, 03:26 PM
200??? sounds crazy to me! when I got my quad, the dealer told me about 10 hours for break-in...

bwamos
06-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Run it through a couple tanks.. then you're good to switch.

You just really really need the breakin oil to get your pistion rings to seat properly.

400exrider707
06-22-2005, 06:10 AM
The longer you wait to switch over the better.......
www.mototuneusa.com

Rico
06-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I rebuilt my motor this winter. I had a new sleeve installed and new rings. I put in synthetic after the rebuild, yes before the motor was ever started for the first time and ran the dog chit out of it on my first trip out. She runs great, doesn't smoke and clarified that the story of "using synthetic on break in is bad" to rest.

Now I will say it's not recommended to use synthetic if your going to break the motor in slowly, you have to run the hell out of it for it to seat the rings properly using synthetic...:cool:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I did all this using the new Mobil 1 advanced formula with friction modifiers......:eek: :eek: :eek: The kind that doesn't come with the red cap...:eek2: :eek2:

nosliw
06-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Rico

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I did all this using the new Mobil 1 advanced formula with friction modifiers......:eek: :eek: :eek: The kind that doesn't come with the red cap...:eek2: :eek2:

you mad-man! :p

notice any clutch slippage or anything

Rico
06-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
you mad-man! :p

notice any clutch slippage or anything

Yeah I'm a friggon psycho......:o

I run an 8 plate kit instead of a 7 with Heavy Duty springs and there's NO slippage. Except for my tires on the ground from all the power the SOB has.....:devil:

wilkin250r
06-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Rico, your logic is flawed. That's like saying "I was in a car wreck without wearing my seatbelt, and I was fine. Therefore, seatbelt safety is just a myth."

Using synthetic during break-in isn't guaranteed to ruin your motor. Nor are friction modifiers guaranteed to ruin your clutch. But they will increase the likelihood, and therefore are not recommended. Just because YOU were fine with this little scenario doesn't necessarily give definitive proof. The risk is still there, and people much smarter than you or I would confirm this.

Rico
06-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Rico, your logic is flawed. That's like saying "I was in a car wreck without wearing my seatbelt, and I was fine. Therefore, seatbelt safety is just a myth."

Using synthetic during break-in isn't guaranteed to ruin your motor. Nor are friction modifiers guaranteed to ruin your clutch. But they will increase the likelihood, and therefore are not recommended. Just because YOU were fine with this little scenario doesn't necessarily give definitive proof. The risk is still there, and people much smarter than you or I would confirm this.

I guess I could have stated it was on my 400ex and that I legally can't be responsible for anyone that ruins their motor because they listened to me....:o I forgot I was in teh power train section and not the 400ex specific forum.

Thanks for pointing that out and taking care of all the fine upstanding citizens on ATVriders.com You should be named member of the year....:macho

DeerNuts
06-22-2005, 12:13 PM
You should be named member of the year....:macho

Yep. Wilkin is about the smartest mofo on this site. BTW, I enjoy reading all of your posts. You use good reasoning and always manage to get across what you mean and are always correct in what you say.

What Im getting at is that I hate reading a post and saying to myself, "What the hell does that mean" or, "That doesnt make any sense at all you dumbarse"

wilkin250r
06-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks for pointing that out and taking care of all the fine upstanding citizens on ATVriders.com

Oh, come on now. You don't need to make me out to be a prudish, pedantic stick-in-the-mud.

RiderTRX400ex
06-22-2005, 01:53 PM
while on the topic, does 20w 50 full synthetic oil sound good to run in a 400ex? should i just look for a 10w 40 synthetic instead?

400exredrider
06-22-2005, 03:01 PM
i usually use a non synthetic honda oil on break in, hammer the heck out of it for awhile. about 2 hours. after 2 hours i switch out a synthetic thats wet clutch safe. havent had any problems.

06-22-2005, 08:24 PM
never run synthetic in any thing that doesnt have seperate oil for the clutch and trans

nosliw
06-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
never run synthetic in any thing that doesnt have seperate oil for the clutch and trans

wrong. HP4 for example is a good synthetic motorcycle oil that doesn't contain polydenum or teflon or anything else that will make a wet-type clutch slip.

Rico
06-23-2005, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by yzfmxer

and why is that???????????????????????

dont give me no, It'll fry your clutch bull$hit either. I"ve been running synthetic in my 400ex for 4 years and I'm on my second set of clutch plates...:blah:

cals400ex
06-23-2005, 08:52 AM
i ran it in my for 3 to 4 years and my sparks plates looked new when i checked this year.

Out_Sider
06-23-2005, 09:28 AM
i just recently switched over to Amsoil 10w40 Synthetic, and i put it in BOTH :eek2: sides and wow, no clutch slippage :eek:

i must be completely insane :devil:

98red
06-23-2005, 03:11 PM
I am still amazed by all of these experts on which oil to run....

cals400ex
06-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
i just recently switched over to Amsoil 10w40 Synthetic, and i put it in BOTH :eek2: sides and wow, no clutch slippage :eek:

i must be completely insane :devil:

the amsoil oil is safe for wet clutches. they actually recommend to run that in both side on a 450r. i was going to get that but i went with maxima ultra, mainly because it is a group V ester oil.