PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Im a stupid newbie!

rhino738
06-21-2005, 02:57 PM
I just did my first "do it myself" oil change. The dealer did not have the filter cover O-ring so I re-used the old one. I changed the oil per the manual, and started it up to check for leaks.........and found it leaking around the filter cover plate. So I jacked the bike up on its right side and opened the cover plate again. I noticed the O-ring had a small crimp in it, so I moved it around abit to see if it would help any. While I was messing with the O-ring, I noticed the spring to the back of the filter had come off when I removed the cover plate. I put the spring back in the filter, but couldnt tell if it went back into the hole of the "engine thingy" due to the oil inside. Would the filter and engine cover plate go back on easily if the spring missed its mark inside the "engine thingy"? Also, I put just over 800ml of oil in the engine, and its still well below the "Full" range. It is about half way (maybe slightly higer) between the High/Low range. Should I put a little bit more in to bring it up the Full mark. And one last question........When my enging was running, the oil level window was almost completely void of Oil........is this normal? Sorry for the noob questions, but Im scared Im gonna screw something up. I posted in the general forum to get a quick answer due to a out of town trail riding trip.....Im leaving thursday and need my mind at ease. Thanks!

Rhino

stevo3176
06-21-2005, 06:06 PM
The spring is fine as long as its in there and you did not have to force it. It will be easier next time. the oil level sould never go above the H mark when filling ever. You can't see the oil bc it is runnin around the engine. Let it sit for a bit before you check and add. It takes some time for the oil to get back down.

Punk'd
06-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Ok when your engine is started it might apear there is nothing in that glass window, but turn the engine off and presto! Oil! (I keep mine in between H and L) so every now and then when your bike is off check to see were it is. Looking at it when the engine on is totally difftent.

As for your oil filter.. Id go buy a new one and you NEED that spring.

Anymore questions just ask..

rhino738
06-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks Fellas! I appreciate the info!

Punk'd
06-21-2005, 11:47 PM
No problem bro:macho

Out_Sider
06-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by rhino738
HELP! Im a stupid newbie!

well atleast you admit it :macho