PDA

View Full Version : 88 250r mods

2strokerider
06-21-2005, 11:26 AM
what are some relatively inexpensive mods? my 250 is at stock bore and i would like to keep it that way. ive got a pipe and filter (its been jetted) and some minor porting work. i was looking into reeds and an aftermarket air box. do these make much of a difference or not? im tryin to build it for mx so id like to hear about any input on other parts because im new to the 250r and mx.

baker250r
06-21-2005, 06:28 PM
thinner head gasket, cr250 reed cage, 36 or 38 carb, reed cage spacer. polish ur exhaust port

2strokerider
06-22-2005, 09:23 AM
should i get cr250 reeds or v force? who makes thinner head gaskets and what exactly does that do? is the spacer going to change the power to more top end because isnt that wat u want for mx. the port has already been polished and is the carb going to be okay even though its stock bore?

baker250r
06-22-2005, 09:59 AM
u gotta get the whoel reed cage assembly for the cr250, not just reed pedals. u can get either boysen or delta v force. but get the actual cage that goes in a dirt bike. then if u do that, u gotta get a 38mm carb. OR if u want to run your stock carb, get the cr250 cage, then get a cr125 intake boot, and ur 34mm carb will work still. the 38mm carbs work alot better for the modded engines. but for a stock engine, the stock carb will do just fine.

as for head gaskets. u dont gain gobs of power by doing this, but u do up ur compression, wich in turn will create better combustion, and will help ur response. but if u get ur compression up past 180, u gotta start runnin the expensive race gas. there are a few ways to get higher compression. the best way is to get a cool head with the interchangeable domes. or people also get their stock heads milled smaller, also people get their cylinders decked, so the when the psiton is at TDC it is flush with the top of the cylinder. on stock motors, there is about a 2 or 3 mm gap.

the cheap way to up your compression is to get a head gasket off a 89? i think cr250. it is a thinner head gasket than the thicker trx250r head gasket. or wut some people like me do. is take the stock 250r head gasket and take off the rubber pieces and run the middle metal piece. wich is thinner than the cr250 head gasket. but u will have to use a silicone, or permatex sealer, or else this will leak.

2strokerider
06-22-2005, 10:10 AM
ok i might try some of those. also does an aftermarket air box do much of anything or is it for looks? just curious

baker250r
06-22-2005, 10:58 AM
it does help with airflow. but ur not goona notice much of a difference. just run with ur lid off, and if u want, drill some holes in the air box. some may tell u not to do this. it does get ur filter dirtier faster... but then again, so will a aftermarket air box.