PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing?

RAPTOR80RACR990
06-20-2005, 08:59 PM
I have a Raptor 80 and when water hits it dies. Because i was at an XC race this weekend and we had to ride threw a creek. And after I got out of the creek and getting ready to go up a hill climb it started cutting out like crazy. Then it just died. I had to push it back to the pit and my dad put a new sparkplug in it and it fired right back up. I got back to the top of the hill and it started cutting out again. Then i had to drift off the hill and back to the pits i go. I let it set for a minute and it started right back up. And i took off again and made a few more laps. I know that water is getting in something I just don't know what. I need help on waterproofing this thing so that it won't happen again. Thanks

bigdaddy
06-20-2005, 09:26 PM
I dont know about your quad but on my boys Polaris 90 we had a problem with the stock boot getting mud in it and it would cut out under a load. I replaced it with a NGK boot and have not had any other problems with it. Hope this helps:D

bigdaddy
06-20-2005, 09:28 PM
I forgot to tell you to make sure all the electrical connections are clean and dry. We took ours apart, cleaned them then put dielectric grease in them.

RAPTOR80RACR990
06-20-2005, 11:13 PM
OK thanks bigdaddy, that might be the problem. How much do them NGK sparkplug boot cost.

bigdaddy
06-21-2005, 08:45 AM
If I remember right it was about $7. We bought the hard plastic one. It makes a lot better contact when you put it on the wire and stays tight on the plug. Any motorcycle or quad shop should have them.

Arctic Cat Dad
06-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Raptor80. Hi how are ya buddy. So you don't like that creek crossing at Pheasent Run? Sorry we weren't there Michael Loves that track. But we raced Timberline on Saturday. He likes the huge hill climb after the creek crossing. Do you take the middle hill climb or do you go to the left? Get the boot it will help. But your getting water into the airfilter. Because if you really get enough water into the plug it would ground it out and it will stop running. Seal your airfilterbox real good. Duct tape the seams. Also black tape the boot where the wire goes into the boot. I don't know where the airbox is on the Raptor but if you can add a snorkel tube onto it will help. Just try to get the airtube where it will be out of the water. If you remember on Michael's quad there is rubber surrounding his airbox. I built his for him. Michael has hit those 2 creek crossings full blast and has NEVER had any trouble. Try those few things and do some testing in some water holes.

Here's a thought. People think I'm crazy for this but.When it 's really raining HARD go for a test ride. Hit every mudhole and creek you can find,and see what happens. Also Before every race after I go over his quad, I give it a 45 minute torture test with the garden hose at full blast. NO MERCY! Believe me you can Totaly waterproof a mini quad if you do some testing. If you have anymore problems just PM me. Mike

RAPTOR80RACR990
06-22-2005, 08:20 PM
I am doing pretty good Arctic Cat Dad. How have you and Michael been doing? They made that creek crossing way diffrent from the last race at Pheasant Run. That race is my favorite to. I think its fun in all if my bike wouldn't keep dying. I like that huge hill climb after the creek crossing to. At the first Pheasant Run race I hit the middle hill. But at the one this past weekend I didnt hit it any because my bike wasn't running right. I am going to hit the middle hill next time. Which hill Does Michael hit? The air box on my Raptor is up front where the nose piece is. I will have to put some duct tape around the air box tommorow. My brother was taking pictures of the mini quad race and I saw pictures of Michael blasting through the creek crossings. Is Micheal going to race the next Pheasant Run race on July 10? Thanks for your help Mike:D
Justin

Arctic Cat Dad
06-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Michael hits the middle hill. If we don't have a Koontz series race we will be there.Hope to se you there. Be good and ride hard but smart to. Later mike

Pappy
06-22-2005, 08:48 PM
we did not have any trouble with the engine, but found we have an issue with water and brakes:)

RAPTOR80RACR990
06-22-2005, 08:51 PM
I just looked at the Koontz schedule and it says you race Bike Barn. :( That stinks. I was wanting to see you guys at Peasant run.

Arctic Cat Dad
06-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Pappy, If it didn't sputter there then you won't have to worry about anything! Plus I don't know what to tell ya about the brake deal. I don't think any mini brakes could handle that. Maby Disc brakes? Were the other mini's having trouble with brakes?

Pappy
06-22-2005, 09:03 PM
if they were they did not say anything. cody and canan were flying and at first it looked as if cody was going to walk away with the race. canan got around him by hitting the hillclimb after some ofthe course workers knocked down a lip or something, then canan's dad sent him up it and he got ahead of cody. after that everyone was hitting it.

cody held him in check but once i saw his brakes were failing i told him to hold 2nd place and not get too crazy.

we did find some issues with the carb, water had made it into the unit via the throttle cable. wasnt much but cody said the quad was sputtering on downhills and started cutting off. he had to bump start it alot on the last 3 laps.

devon nailed him good in the creek and trashed the silencer flipping himself over in the creek but other then that it was a good race.

RAPTOR80RACR990
06-22-2005, 09:07 PM
My brakes held up pretty good at that race just not my bike.