PDA

View Full Version : clanking noise

400exdave
06-20-2005, 07:47 PM
I went to my local track today to test out my new 14 tooth sprocket and how it does. First of all, that has got to be the best 10 dollar mod you can do to your 400ex. It feels soo much better. but on to the real subject. After about 1 hour of riding, im riding on the track and take a turn then hit a jump and land it, then i hear this loud clanking noise. So first, I check to make sure the sprocket i put on isn't loose, then i check my axle housing bolts make sure those are good, which they were. Then I start to drive it back to my truck and i could like feel the clanking on my feet or foot pegs. Then i turn it off and let it sit for a bit, then start it back up and it clanked again pretty loud. Here some tidbits now.... it still has just as much power as it did before, still feels the same just now with a clank. I haven't had time to REALLY look at it, but just thuoght i would ask you guys see your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

jak1389
06-20-2005, 08:12 PM
is that clanking noise coming from your motor?

400exdave
06-21-2005, 01:02 AM
to what it sounds like, yes. I am just kinda confused that it would come from the engine. the engine is not even a year old and i always had proper amounts of oil in it. oh well. but yeah, its the engine.

jak1389
06-21-2005, 06:16 AM
it sounds like it might be your timing chain is streched out.

Speedy81304
06-21-2005, 09:05 PM
doesn't matter how old the engine is i seen new engines not last more then a couple of hours... 400ex bottom ends are kinda bullet proof. i would check your timing chain and you valves.

400exdave
06-22-2005, 01:49 AM
thanks for all your help. i guess what I'll do is take it to my honda shop, because i don't know how to adjust my valves or timing chain. thanks though, really appretiate it.