PDA

View Full Version : Smoking 400ex !?!?!

journeyman
06-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Alright here it goes....just got my 400ex back from the shop...it was 2 months old and the piston seized causing alot of damage...so the shop replaced EVERYTHING in the motor except for the side cases and the block...so I go thru the normal breakin period for about 2 1/2 3 hours...only giving it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle...well around my 4th hour of riding I noticed that when I rev the bike and let off the throttle, there seems to me some white smoke coming from the exhaust....it also was doing this on decelleration..keep in mind that the bike is bone stock now...so i go and park it by the garage and let her cool down....start it back up and no smoke...well as soon as she warms back up the smoke returns..No smoke when its cool, only after the bike warms up...I just dont know what to do????Is my brand new motor ****ed already????I called the shop and they said there shouldnt be anything wrong...They said maybe when the motor blew before that some oil could have passed into the header and possibly when the bike warms up it starts to burn?????any suggestions before I load her in the truck and make the 50 mile haul back to the shop????

Very sorry for the long post but im in need of some help.....:(

big diggin7
06-20-2005, 07:47 PM
hate to tell ya man, but when that same thing happened to my 01, it was the rings, a new set of rings, fined it good as new!!

2001 400ex
WB e-series silencer, Elka triple rates front shocks, WB rev limiter, K&N stage 2 jet kit (170 main jet, 42 pilot), XR400 cam, 16/36t sprockets, durablue 2+2 axle, DG nerfs, DG front bumper, DG 6 pack rack, 909 bar, modified stock header, Tinner air scoops, and more.

ridesa02400EX
06-20-2005, 10:38 PM
i dont think its your rings. if it was rings it would smoke all the time or until it was warmed up. is it blue smoke or white smoke? blue smoke is oil, white smoke is moisture. maybe run it for a little bit and check your oil often.

journeyman
06-21-2005, 02:40 AM
i ran it for prolly a few hours while it was smoking...havent rode it since frday though...but when i checked the oil friday night after riding..It had not burned any oil...any more suggestions??

blastereatin250
06-21-2005, 08:31 AM
check the valve seals

wicked400man
06-21-2005, 08:32 AM
well if you went a few hours with no oil burning, it must be a little water/moisture...id run if for awhile yet (3-5hrs) still checking oil points through there...and if it doesnt stop then take it back to the dealer it should have warrenty work done for free :-)

journeyman
06-22-2005, 07:04 PM
still smokin.....i think im gonna cry:(

ridesa02400EX
06-25-2005, 12:05 PM
if its not burnin oil i wouldnt worry to much about it

HeyWatchThis
06-25-2005, 10:10 PM
How much oil do you have in it? If you over fill the oil you might get too much oil pressure after it gets really warm; blowing through the header and burning up.

journeyman
06-26-2005, 08:10 AM
whatever the stock specs are which i think is around 2 quarts

MtnEX
07-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Mine I just bought recently is doing the same thing.

I didn't pick up on it until the Yoshi exhaust, K&N, etc...
Better faster flow, and I started smelling it.

I thought it was where the guy had the oil changed or a leak, because it was certainly that oil burning smell I'd catch a whiff of when I slowed down fast.

My wife rode behind me and said it stunk... so I reved the bike and saw the smoke.

God I hope it's over-full.......................