PDA

View Full Version : KX100 Bogs, Stalls, I Hate it.....

MadMax27
06-20-2005, 04:52 PM
My brother just bought a 05' KX100, if anybody here can help, please do so!!

1st tankfull, ran awesome, he hangs right there with my 400EX

2nd tankfull we ran 32:1 pre-mix, as stated in manual. My god does he foul plugs!!! these plugs are $9-12 a pop. I know were running way rich, but he'll be runnin down the trail, all fine and good, then it sputters and dies. EVERY time on the trail, it leaves him stranded.

I friggin hate this 2-stroke POS. I have to go get my truck every friggin time, and hual it home. Any ideas???? please please help. Before I take a Plasma Cutter to this heaping pile of Cow ****.

Bone Stock everything.......

400Rider022
06-20-2005, 06:55 PM
sell it buy a quad:blah:

huffdaddy_400EX
06-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by MadMax27

2nd tankfull we ran 32:1 pre-mix, as stated in manual. My god does he foul plugs!!! these plugs are $9-12 a pop. I know were running way rich, but he'll be runnin down the trail, all fine and good, then it sputters and dies. EVERY time on the trail, it leaves him stranded.

I friggin hate this 2-stroke POS. I have to go get my truck every friggin time, and hual it home. Any ideas???? please please help. Before I take a Plasma Cutter to this heaping pile of Cow ****.

After it dies how do you get it re-fired? Do you have to replace the plug before it will start?

MadMax27
06-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Yup. gotta clean it up or replace it. Ive been dumpin pure gas no oil, in the tank. Also backed out the air screw, runnin alot better still smokes bad under load.

RiderTRX400ex
06-21-2005, 09:46 AM
are u runnin those plugs that kawasakai like recommends for the KX? they are like a weird number... and they are different... when i rebuilt my 85 that i used to have i started to run those. They sucked, i would foul plugs all the time, until i started to run just standard NGK BR9ES plugs... fixed my problem right off.

Dont run those bikes to lean man, they are expensive to rebuild, u cant bore them, cylinders chrome plated:scary:

MadMax27
06-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Weve been playin with the jetting, moved the clip way up on the needle. So, the low end is almost their. However it bogs real bad 3/4- wot. So Im going to go smaller on the main and see what that does. A friend made a good point, when we first bought it, it was like 55 outside, now its anywheres from 75-95 with little or tons of humidity. He thinks the weather is playing a major factor with this damn thing.

MadMax27
06-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Were also planning to run a hotter plug....

AtvMxRider
06-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Yup. gotta clean it up or replace it. Ive been dumpin pure gas no oil, in the tank. Also backed out the air screw, runnin alot better still smokes bad under load.

Well that's a good way to **** up a new bike:huh . Rejet the carb, if it is smoking under a load you are too rich.

MadMax27
06-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Well that's a good way to **** up a new bike:huh . Rejet the carb, if it is smoking under a load you are too rich.

Wow, you think. I just dont understand how day to day it changes. Is this common for 2 strokes, affected by weather so easily? I dont mind changing it, but every couple weeks, thats gonna suck.

bman9
06-21-2005, 10:30 PM
warrenty!!!!!!!

F-16Guy
06-21-2005, 10:36 PM

So let me get this straight.... he took a brand new dirt bike and immediately ran the piss out of it? I have no idea what the problem could be:huh If I had to guess, I'd say he at least smoked a set of rings. When you have a cylinder plated with Nikasil (or whatever Kawi uses now), you have two very hard surfaces trying to wear down and form a seal. That thing shouldn't have been out of third gear for the first TWO tanks! The good thing about plated cylinders is that they're so hard that unless you scuffed the piston up badly, you could probably get away with just rings. Now the rod and crank bearings on the other hand......

BTW, oil/fuel mixture and fuel/air mixture are two totally different things. You aren't going to lean the fuel/air mixture by leaning the oil/fuel mixture. On the contrary, you'll richen it because the thinner mixture will flow through the carburetor more easily.

MadMax27
06-22-2005, 05:43 PM
We tore down the motor, and the cylinder has no scratches. I shouldve taken pics. The rings appear to have set fine. We drained his tank, and mixed up some leaner mix, and with the leaned out carb, it runs great until 3/4-WOT, Then it bogs bad smokes bad and stalls. So were gonna go smaller on the main. If it's still crappy, ????

AtvMxRider
06-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Don't lean the fuel mixture. Keep it at 32/1. Just rejet the carb!!!

MadMax27
06-22-2005, 06:01 PM
This thing is kickin my ***. I just tore down a 600 ton chiller today, I come home and this thing, which my 400's carb is bigger than, is just killin me...... I wanna cry....Boo Hoo. What temp range is the jetting range good for? I heard 20 degree swing and itll be off????

AtvMxRider
06-22-2005, 06:08 PM
There is no set range for jetting it is just trial and error. It can be aggrivating at times but you have to be patient. What clolr does the plug look like?

mattonln
06-22-2005, 06:16 PM
What type of oil are you using? Some synthetic race oils require a leaner mixture because of their higher lubricity; mix according to whats on the bottle of oil and give it a try. Some oils go down to 20:1 and up to 50:1 so check it out...

F-16Guy
06-22-2005, 07:36 PM
You should definitely keep the mixture at 32:1. There must be something wrong, unless you're up in the mountains. I would have to say that most 2-stroke race bikes are jetted lean enough to run good in a very wide temperature range, as long as you're not too high up. The bike is so new, I can't think of anything besides the rings not seating, or maybe a piece of crap in one of the carb passages. :confused:

speedy400
06-22-2005, 08:45 PM
If its a stock motor you shouldnt have to rejet for normal running temps(80 degrees). Its Gotta be some dirt stuck in the carb IMO. I would put the jetting back and premixture back to 32/1 then rip down the carb with a air hose and carb cleaner handy, blow out EVERY passage. Trust me, I've been in your situation waaaayyy too many times. Last summer I was out for 2 months, and eventually found I had to full dissassemble and clean my carb 5 full times before it finally got the particle out....-darren

MadMax27
06-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Hmmm, I threw in a K 132, stock is K 138. They had no K 135. It'll hit the top end, but under load, it still putters, just not as bad. Stills stalls out though. Plug is a nice tan color, but its still wet ( oil ) Im starting to get aggetated. I think were gettin closer, but I feel were making this thing way lean, but the plug says otherwise....