PDA

View Full Version : Wiseco piston rings?

2001300exguy
06-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Im shold be putting my piston back in tonight and need to know how to put the rings on with out a compressor. also there was a little orangs piece of paper that came with the rings and it says something about having to grind the ring to get t he proper end gap what does that mean?
thanks

F-16Guy
06-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by 2001300exguy
Im shold be putting my piston back in tonight and need to know how to put the rings on with out a compressor. also there was a little orangs piece of paper that came with the rings and it says something about having to grind the ring to get t he proper end gap what does that mean?
thanks
You need to either do a LOT of research before trying to reassemble your engine, or have a professional do it. If you use the "search" feature on this site, you'll find more than enough information to CORRECTLY reassemble your engine. You can buy a ring grinder and a ring compressor at your local auto parts store (Auto Zone, Checker, NAPA, etc.) for cheap. You should also invest in a Honda Service Manual. There are quite a few things (like ring gap) that can be overlooked, and can ultimately (or immediately) grenade your engine.

2001300exguy
06-20-2005, 04:51 PM
i have a service manual

wicked400man
06-21-2005, 08:44 AM
when i put my quad back together with the wiseco 11:1 piston i didnt grind or use the compressor or whatever its telling to to do, just follow the service manual and make sure u have the right clearance thats all....

F-16Guy
06-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by wicked400man
when i put my quad back together with the wiseco 11:1 piston i didnt grind or use the compressor or whatever its telling to to do, just follow the service manual and make sure u have the right clearance thats all....
The right clearances include ring end gap. You can probably get the piston in the cylinder without a ring compressor, but it will be a lot harder and there's more of a chance of doing damage to either the rings or the cylinder. For $10, it's worth the investment. You can probably just throw it together (which is probably what you'll do anyway), but taking the time to learn about your engine, and the details of putting it together correctly, can make all the difference.