PDA

View Full Version : painting frame

redrider311
06-20-2005, 01:20 PM
hey i have a friend that is an ace with a paint gun... he painted his 1948 F1 and it looks awsome.. so i talked to him about painting my frame.. and he said we could do it... so now i have my bike down to the frame and im going to go buy a quart of rustoleum PRO paint .. has anyone done it this way before? and what are your results? i know people have rattle canned their frames and they end up looking like crapola... i just kinda need some confidence.. lol...

PS im not going to powdercoat it...

250-R-250
06-20-2005, 02:14 PM
I will tell you what I did to my trailer, I got the rustoleum textured paint in the spray can, when that stuff dries it looks great its holds on good and keeps it from rusting...I dont think you would have a problem with using that...But if you wanna have something last powdercoating is the way to go.

FoxRacing81
06-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by 250-R-250
I will tell you what I did to my trailer, I got the rustoleum textured paint in the spray can, when that stuff dries it looks great its holds on good and keeps it from rusting...I dont think you would have a problem with using that...But if you wanna have something last powdercoating is the way to go.

If you take your time, prep your frame good, and apply several layers of paint and clear, Paint will last just about as long as PC will.

I am doing the same thing to mine, but I can't help you...my uncle is painting mine and I'll just use whatever he recommends.

-Justin

Sleeper
06-28-2005, 09:01 PM
I think if I was going to tear down to the frame I would just powdercoat, But if you are going to rattle can it. Use some really good primer and some good paint. Napa used to sell Martin Seniour (i'm sure I spelled that wrong) paint in cans. It is the same paint some of body shops use. I bought some for an old t-bird and was amazed at the color match and quality.

Just be sure you follow the tempeture instructions and use high quality primer. and I agree multiple layers and proper dry time is a key to it lasting.

sleeper