PDA

View Full Version : hey im new, help me out

RuBb
06-20-2005, 10:08 AM
hey guys im new here and was just wondering if u could tell me a few things, alright well im 13, 5'9 160 pounds and as far as i no am now selling my dirtbike (not enough power/to small) and getting a quad. and it looks as though it may be a 400ex.

what i wanted to no is do u think this would be to hard to handle for me? i dont think but im not sure on the specifications (horsepower) lol so if sum1 could tell me how much horsepower a stock 400ex has id apreciate it. also i ride mostly in trails / pits so would this be a good choice, is it hard on gas? easy to maintain? and am i making a good choice by switching from a dirtbike to a quad because well, i have no experience at all with sport quads rofl, never had drove 1 before, but i hear they kick *** haha

and i was wondering how good the shocks are for what im going to be doing, im wont be doing any huge jumps but i do have limited funds on what i can do with it so a new suspension is kinda outa the question lol and i was also wondering about the trx450r which is probly alot better, but probly wont be getting due to the high compression motor (having to replace top-end) and i dont think i could handle the CRF450 motor in it lol

thanks =0

Chino886
06-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Hey Bud, if this is your first quad, I would go with the 400EX, simply because it is easier to handle and a little less power. I have a 400 and I think it has plenty of power, you are not going to be the fastest out on a drag strip, but if you ride trails, it is a great quad.

D

RuBb
06-20-2005, 10:17 AM
hm how much power does the 400ex have, i no the 450 has about 55, and well i hate wen u need the power, but it just isnt there, and i am hoping to have this for a while so that wen i get older i wont have to buy another new 1 lol, and isnt the 450 high maintinance? how fast did u get ur 400ex going? also can sum1 tell me how much horsepower the 400ex has i need to no

Chino886
06-20-2005, 10:27 AM
hey RuBb,

I don't think the stock 450R has 55 HP, I think they only come with 36 stock, with some mods I am sure you can get that out of it. The 400 EX I think comes with 29 HP, but like everyone will tell you, all the power in the world is not worth a darn if you can't ride worth a lick. My bro has a 450r, I am sure he will beat me in a sand drag, but when it comes to the MX track, I am sure I could keep up or beat him.

D

quad2xtreme
06-20-2005, 10:29 AM
It is somewhere around 28 hp. A stock Raptor has about 36. The 450r does not have 55. The quads do not have the hp that the dirtbikes have.

The 400ex is an excellent choice with low maintenance requirements. Replacement parts are much cheaper than the other brands too.

The shocks are already setup for your weight so you are ahead of the game.

You are looking at 62-65 on the top end if the gearing is right and the tires are light.

/Jon

RuBb
06-20-2005, 10:31 AM
hm, yeah that sounds like a reasonable amount stock, thanks, yeh i can drive pretty much nething u can put me on good, in terms off ofroad, im not sum stupit 13 year old like most are on dirtbikes/quads, but i have more experience on 2 wheels then 4... i ride dirtbikes offroad and mainly bmx

RuBb
06-20-2005, 10:52 AM
i hope you mean 62-65 mph ? im from canada we dont use mph haha. hm yeah i think i might get this. thanks for comments, ops i almost forgot, sum1 tell me how the stock suspension is, iv been reading and alot of people are buying new suspension... im gona buy new handlebars and the nurfbars cuz i hear there a must have a;though i may have to save up, due to i cant get a job yet to buy both of them -_-.. are the nerfbars completly necissary?

DH400EX
06-20-2005, 10:57 AM
stock 400 suspension isnt the best.

RuBb
06-20-2005, 11:00 AM
to soft? but would it be good for small jumps / drops etc

im not talkin like 100 foot table tops, just reasonable jumps

yamablaster24
06-20-2005, 11:24 AM
when i raced my stock 400ex i did little 40 foot doubles 55 foot tables and i only weighed 130 lbs and suspension soaked it right up. Anything more is asking for a frame scrub. Im sure stock suspension should be fine for you tho.

quad2xtreme
06-20-2005, 11:35 AM
You will see that the stock suspension is fine for the type of riding you described.

The nerfs are more important than the bars even if you need to get used nerfs using the stock footpegs. One slip off the pegs and you can waste your ankle. It isn't quite like a bike where the tire is there just waiting to chew up your foot. Slipping is even more likely if you use boots that have mx tread instead of an ATV tread.

In my opinion, nerfs are the most important upgrade. It wouldn't bother me one bit if manufacturers were forced to put nerf mounting brackets on the frame and provide nerfs with every quad sold. A great portion of emergency room visits are for ankle injuries.

/Jon

RuBb
06-20-2005, 11:43 AM
yeah i used to drive quads, utility quads that is, but no sport quads, closest thing was a trike lol, yeh im away if ur foot slips u will run it over haha, happened on a trike before, alright thanks for the info

awsomeaussies
06-20-2005, 12:04 PM
I'd say go for the 400ex... I got my first quad (300ex) when I was 12, and a year later a got a 400ex. I've now had my 400ex for 6 years and I couldn't be happier:) It's a great beginner quad, but can also be made to an awesome competitive quad... and you wouldn't have any regrets;)

And stock this quad would work great you, and eventually you can always throw a couple goodies on it:D

VA400EX
06-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I agree with these guys, a 400EX would be a solid start with plenty of ability to upgrade in the future. If you want more speed, you can just bore it out to 416, 426, or 440.

400exrider26
06-20-2005, 04:26 PM
you will have no problem going from the dirtbikes, to quads... just takes like a few rides to get use to it. before i got my other quads i had 5 years riding dirtbikes, went to get a quad and got use the quad . i love my 400ex for the woods and almost everything else.

400exbiggun
06-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Actually its a big difference going from a quad to a bike. Seriously if your as used to a bike as i am it will fell 10x's more natural to get a twist on any quad you get. Bikes are awsome, for me anyway i have more fun and can ride 2x's faster on all types of terrain except in the winter. Which is the main reason im going back to 4 wheels.

A 400 will be a sweet place to start, i have owned a ton of bikes and quads, bikes from a kx80 to a crf230, to a ktm 250 exc. And quads from blasters, warriors, a 400ex and a tecate and im happily going back to building another 400ex for everyday use.

The 400 will have plenty of power, ignore all the people that say a z will smoke you and yatta yatta yatta. Good driver and the 400ex wont let you down.

400exrider26
06-21-2005, 03:47 AM
but since you are use to a bike, i suggest getting nerfs so you dont get your foot ran over alot. A twist grip gas throttle will probley be great for you too.

RuBb
06-21-2005, 07:17 AM
yeah i was thinkin of a twist grip, and am probly 80% sure im gona get 1, ima see how it works out first tho