PDA

View Full Version : Help picking the right one

redlined94
06-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Well fellas, looks like I get to be in a nice situation. Either way I am gonna get a nice quad but I wanna make sure I get the better one. Now i know everyone has there favorites but lets put all that aside and figure out which is best. Alright i can get either a new 05 YFZ450 or 450R. I am wondering which one I should get cuz I am torn between the two. Just help me out guys. Thanks!!

also i am a pretty experienced rider and I am 6 foot tall 200 pounds if you wanna know. Also do mainly trails and some track.

Tell me what you all think!!!!

fasterblaster09
06-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Im a honda fan,but I have to face it,I think the yfz is better overall,not by much though.

nowukno
06-19-2005, 10:06 PM
I have a 450r and i love it , i have ridden both and i got the 450r because it has a smoother power delivery and the seats alot softer , but both quads are awesome and no matter which one you get you will be very happy.

DH400EX
06-19-2005, 10:13 PM
they r both kick *** quads, but i think it will come down to, do u want kick start or electric start?

Mxjunkie
06-19-2005, 10:20 PM
I like how simple the 450r is compared to the yfz, no batterys or starters to worry about, that and most yfz's I have seen at the local tracks dont like water at all, they either stop, dont start after that race or god forbid they catch on fire like the one at the mx track last year that was posted on here.

Chino
06-19-2005, 11:02 PM
personally i belive the yfz has more power than the 450r but i belive the 450r handles better therefore you have controllable power. IMO 450r

Dannys440
06-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I have rode both and i like the R over the YFZ,I like the stock(only way i have rode them)torque feel of the R is all.

redlined94
06-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Ya i agree with all of you guys. I have been readin around and depending on the person they say the 450r has more top end and taller gears and smoother powerband where as the YFZ is more snappy and stuff. I cant make my mind up. Hopefully a quick test drive of both of them tomorrow will set my mind str8. Thanks for the comments though keep them comin guys!!!

toby400ex
06-19-2005, 11:16 PM
From what Ive read the yfz isnt comforable for taller riders. But we all know that can be fixed with longer stems and such...

SGA
06-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Both are fine machines. The Honda is a Honda though, well thought out, over engineered for dependability and great for most riders.

Here at ATV riders, we dont have regular riders, we have many great riders pushing thier quads to the limits and can find the weakness of any machine.

redlined94
06-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Ya I havent heard of any 450R's breaking yet but I have heard plenty of YFZ stories so I am takin that into consideration. I have been readin stats on the results on what they would be like after pipe and jet and the YFZ still makes more power. This is such a crappy decision to make lol. I wish it was like picked between a 400ex and 300ex. Anyways, keep em comin.

je450
06-20-2005, 12:05 AM
i have a yfz and do only mx on it and it is great. ive never rode a 450r before but from what ive heard if you do mostly trails and some mx i would go with the r and i have also heard that they are more comfortable and easier to ride on trails and what not.

sampleez
06-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by redlined94
Ya I havent heard of any 450R's breaking yet

:huh have you not looked at the 450r section? there are several threads about stuff breaking on them. theres one now about a guy cracking his frame. there are a few of cranks or crank bearings going out. and i've heard a few having tranny probs.

it don't matter what you get, you'll eventially have a few probs if ya ride the bike hard.

what kind of riding do you mainly do? if you only trail ride, a 450r might be better for you, but maybe not. i've rode some trails on mine and i had no issues with it.

for the taller guys, the 06 yfz has a taller stem and lower pegs. or if ya get an 05, you can get a stock raptor stem(cheap) that's +1 or an aftermarket stem. and there's propeg nerfs that have a lower peg.

the main thing is to ride both of the quads, and not stock ones if it's possible. i couldn't believe the difference in mine from stock to now with the cam mod, a pipe, the air filter lid off, and rejetted. and on the 450r, similar mods and the hrc stuff makes a difference too.

i got a yfz mainly cause imo they look ALOT better, they've got wicked power, and the ergos couldn't be better for me, and i mainly ride mx, so i think the yfz was just the better bike for me. i rode a 450r with a hrc cam, sparks pipe, bars, nerfs, and some other small stuff, and i didn't really like it. i don't know, it just felt wierd to me. but i rode a buddies 04 yfz with a pipe bars nerfs and i loved it. it felt just like riding my old 400, but with MUCH more power and better suspension

sorry for the long ***** post, and hope it helps some

:devil: :devil:
http://img234.echo.cx/img234/3212/front16xl.jpg

redlined94
06-20-2005, 01:35 AM
I have rode a piped and jetted YFZ before and man it was fast. I havent rode a 450R and I have just read good things about them and I know they are good bikes. I think I am leaning to a YFZ but it will have to come down to what kind of deal I can get at the dealer. You guys are helpin out a lot though. I really appreciate it. I really like that red and white combo on the YFZ too.

trick450r
06-20-2005, 04:49 AM
i never even sat on a YFZ before i put in an order for my 450r so i really cant help you on comparison (i ordered it like maybe 2 weeks after the YFZ came out) as soon as i heard that honda had a 450r it was mine...im not going to tell you the honda is better because in some cases its not, in some it is. For taller riders like yourself, the honda is a generally better suited due to the higher bars and higher seat hieght. Also i only skimmed through the article so im not sure if you are mx'ing the bike or not, but if you do motocross, part of the game is modding the bike, no matter which bike you get it will be the same in the end geometry and hnadling wise. If you ride on the trails i feel the honda would still better suit you due to the gearing and ride hieght...so either way your making a good decision.

tamehart
06-20-2005, 05:33 AM
I am 6' as well...I went with the honda because simply my riding style was limited on the YFZ. I was really uncomfortable on it. The honda gives me my ability to get my long legs moving around. Make sure you ride both, that would really help!

redlined94
06-20-2005, 12:09 PM
I know what you guys are sayin. I have sat on a 450R before and it did feel like it became part of me lol. Anyway I am goin ip to the dealer in like 30 min so when I get back I will tell you guys what happened. Thanks for the help!!

redlined94
06-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Well just got back from test drivin both. Looks like the 450R takes the award. That bike is just simply amazing to me. I test drove the YFZ too and I just liked the feel and smoothness of the R better. I have an interesting story too that happened. Me and my buddy (muddy400ex) were sittin in the lobby dealin with the people when i see out of the corner of my eye the YFZ that we test drove is rollin down the hill. So i watch and it rolls into this grassy ditch that is huge and it hits a telephone poll guide wire and flips over. Bent the bars a lil and thats it but I found it so ironic that both the 450R and the YFZ were sitting there in first gear and what do ya know the YFZ slips out of gear and screws itself. Anways I thought it was kinda funny actually. THought you guys would like to know that. But it looks like I am gonna go back within the next two days and get the 450R. I will def. post pics when i get it!!

SRH
06-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
I like how simple the 450r is compared to the yfz, no batterys or starters to worry about, that and most yfz's I have seen at the local tracks dont like water at all, they either stop, dont start after that race or god forbid they catch on fire like the one at the mx track last year that was posted on here.

i dont race in mud and water myself but most guys i know with 450rs are happy but they always say they wish they had electrict start, just something to look at

your not gonna go wrong with either choice, but i sat on a 450r and just didnt care for the feel, didnt seem like there was alot of room to move around and stuff, seemed like it sat high too

the main diff is honda detuned the 450r more than yamaha did with yfz, either motor setup for performance is touchy, but yamaha out of the box is ready to go so you have to do the maintence, honda has theres setup to run and run and run bla bla bla

id rather have the yamaha, its all performance and i love the handling so much

SRH
06-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Well just got back from test drivin both. Looks like the 450R takes the award. That bike is just simply amazing to me. I test drove the YFZ too and I just liked the feel and smoothness of the R better. I have an interesting story too that happened. Me and my buddy (muddy400ex) were sittin in the lobby dealin with the people when i see out of the corner of my eye the YFZ that we test drove is rollin down the hill. So i watch and it rolls into this grassy ditch that is huge and it hits a telephone poll guide wire and flips over. Bent the bars a lil and thats it but I found it so ironic that both the 450R and the YFZ were sitting there in first gear and what do ya know the YFZ slips out of gear and screws itself. Anways I thought it was kinda funny actually. THought you guys would like to know that. But it looks like I am gonna go back within the next two days and get the 450R. I will def. post pics when i get it!!

they dotn slip out of gear, it was probaly sitting there in neutral

redlined94
06-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Well then it must have sat on a slope in neutral for a long time and not move at all because I rode it and just stopped and shut it off and left it in gear so I am pretty sure it was in gear.

06-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Well then it must have sat on a slope in neutral for a long time and not move at all because I rode it and just stopped and shut it off and left it in gear so I am pretty sure it was in gear.

so u leave quads in gear on steep hills when they have parking breaks? Maybe you should reconsider buying a quad

redlined94
06-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Ya your right I have no clue how to handle a quad. You guys werent there. Everyone was hurrying me and tellin me to ride and get off quick so I wasnt really thinkin about settin every damn brake the thing had. I guess i will just get a frickin honda 90 since i dont know how to ride. Thanks for the helpful info though you frickin prick.

muddy400EX
06-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
so u leave quads in gear on steep hills when they have parking breaks? Maybe you should reconsider buying a quad

iono bout u but ive never seen a quad move while it was in gear so i figured it would be alright too

06-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
iono bout u but ive never seen a quad move while it was in gear so i figured it would be alright too i guess in Illinois you dont have hills like these http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid114/padce6fc0e7658c695752de3183d3f720/f8cfc5fb.jpg (not a great picture but that hill behind my quad pretty much goes straight down) my Parking break was on when I took that picture because my quad was brand new. If I was riding a quad that was not my own I would not park it on a hill in gear because they will roll if it is steep enough, I wish that dealership would make you pay for it.You sound like the little prick my friend rolling dealerships quads into telephone polls ;) :rolleyes:

muddy400EX
06-20-2005, 07:35 PM
whatever dude

redlined94
06-20-2005, 07:40 PM
It was actually parked in a parking space at the dealer with a hill behind the space so apparently it DID slip out of gear because the 450R did just fine. I bet you are just a better man than me though since you can park your quad by a hill that is really steep. I can go do that too. I guess I will just give them a call and tell them that MixMasterIdiot says that I cant park a quad so just give me the smallest one you have. I am sure they will agree with you a 100%. Thanks for the input again. I love fightin with people on here. I just start out a nice little thread and it doesnt take long for the dumb crowd to show up.

06-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Stick with honda, they simply maneuver and handle much better.

remember you cant win a race if you cant finish it.

redlined94
06-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Ya i know for a fact that Honda is more dependable than yamaha and that played a big role in my decision. Thanks for the comment though and not bein a prick like other people DierWolf

sampleez
06-20-2005, 07:50 PM
that's right wolf, cause no 450r has ever broke down :rolleyes: wtf is the deal with u 450r guys on here. ya'll talk like the yfz is a flippin time bomb. i've had my bike for about 5 months and i ride almost every weekend on mx tracks and i've had no probs with it. the same for 3 of my other buddies with yfz's, but they mostly ride trails.

either of the 450s are reliable if you take care of them and don't beat the crap out of em all the time

06-20-2005, 07:50 PM
I bet you are just a better man than me though since you can park your quad by a hill that is really steep. I can go do that too. looks like you were not able to do that dumba55....try again :rolleyes:

redlined94
06-20-2005, 07:55 PM
I know what your sayin sampleez. They are both awesome quads really I didnt mean for it to sound like Yamaha is a piece of crap or this would have been a unanimous decision and I wouldnt even have made this thread but I guess I have been a Honda guy for a while and I just like it better. The YFZ is just as equally as awesome as the R. It really comes down to personal preference. Thanks for the help though.

muddy400EX
06-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by sampleez
that's right wolf, cause no 450r has ever broke down :rolleyes: wtf is the deal with u 450r guys on here. ya'll talk like the yfz is a flippin time bomb. i've had my bike for about 5 months and i ride almost every weekend on mx tracks and i've had no probs with it. the same for 3 of my other buddies with yfz's, but they mostly ride trails.

either of the 450s are reliable if you take care of them and don't beat the crap out of em all the time

true dat! i want a yfz so bad i can taste it!:D

sampleez
06-20-2005, 08:03 PM
edit:

blah, read something wrong and made a useless post

redlined94
06-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Well Matt since you dont like 450R's i guess you dont get a ride lol.

wtz400
06-20-2005, 08:32 PM
ive only ridden a yfz but i think all around it is a better quad...like all quads it has its advantages and disatvantages to the r...but i think the z is better. but for about the same price u could get the new raptor 700 w/ fuel injection...if i were getting a new quad i would get the raptor.
-josh

muddy400EX
06-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Well Matt since you dont like 450R's i guess you dont get a ride lol.

fine then. when i get a yfz you wont get to ride it since you dont like yfz's:blah:

redlined94
06-20-2005, 10:08 PM
LOL Fine then matt