PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt stockers VS. elkas

400EXracer74
06-19-2005, 06:03 PM
how much better are elkas than well rebuilt stock 450 shocks. i know the price difference i just want a good suspension setup for racing. if elkas are still really that much better ill get them but if not then i dont want to spend the extra money. also can the 450 shocks be built to work with +3 a-arms?

pkb324
06-19-2005, 09:04 PM
i do have rebuilt stock shocks right now on my 450 and i do love them, but if you can afford to get elkas i would do it. I do think that they can make the shocks work for +3 as long as they arent long travel? but my recomomendation is get what you can afford to do. thats the best you can do!

06-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by 400EXracer74
how much better are elkas than well rebuilt stock 450 shocks. i know the price difference i just want a good suspension setup for racing. if elkas are still really that much better ill get them but if not then i dont want to spend the extra money. also can the 450 shocks be built to work with +3 a-arms?

the elkas are gonna be a lot better then the rebuilt ones, yes the 450 shocks can work with +3 arms, u jus need them to be revalved

kbass24emtp
06-19-2005, 10:02 PM
It all depends on who rebuilds them. C&D, DeRisi, and GT Thunder all do exelent jobs on the rebuilds. I never rode on Elks so I have nothing to compare my rebuilds to. Yes, you can use the revalve shock with +3 arms. I will say there is a night and day difference between stock and the rebuilt. If you go with the rebuilt shocks, you can get all the shocks done and even have new linkage. You could also put a good down payment on a-arms all for the same price as Elka fronts shocks. Rebuilding the stockers are not a waste of money in my book, I am doing the same jumps Elka quads are doing.

pkb324
06-20-2005, 04:09 PM
yes your right it is a night/day difference between stock and the rebuilt stock shocks, but they really are no elkas. dont get me wrong i love my rebuilds but with shocks u do get what you pay for!

hoopd450
06-20-2005, 07:49 PM
i race xc and used to have elka long travel fronts and their rear shock and linkage. i had nothing but trouble with them. i had to send them back to elka twice. they finally got the front working pretty good but the rear still seemed to buck even worse than stock. i finally sold them all. bought burgard +1+1 standard a-arms for $390 off ebay then had gt thunder rebuild my stockers with the linkage for $600. my bike handles better now than ever before. the only downside is that the shocks will probably need serviced more often because they don't hold as much oil. oh yeah, i also had laz use a hyperco spring on the rear which cost $95 dollars extra so my whole suspension cost just a little over $1000 dollars and it works great. i would recommend this to anyone.