PDA

View Full Version : Subwoffer, Amp, Speaker questions... whats hot and what not?

Narly R
06-19-2005, 05:58 PM
I do not know much about all these brands, and how they work. Which amp with what sub, amout of watts, things like that. I went to the stereo store, and was going to get 2 Rockward Fozzgate (sp) 10" P2 subs, with a amp. But I was woundering if the Sony 12" Subs, or the Alpine 12" subs are any good? Because I can get those other places, for a little cheaper. Or will the differance just be too much...? Anyone know what would be best to go with?

Mxjunkie
06-19-2005, 06:01 PM
a buddy of mine has the sony xpodes I think they are, 12's they thump pretty damn hard, I think we pissed off everyone at the gas station so they work nice :cool:

06-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Its "Rockford Fosgate" not Rockward Fozzgate.

PS, you dont want to go cheap on speakers or Preamps or Amps when it comes to car stereo, skimp on any of the 2 and you might as well had left it stock. It seems your already headed that way by looking for cheap speakers.

Suggest you have someone that knows about the stuff select compatable equipment for you...

etter696
06-19-2005, 06:25 PM
i would suggest alpine, not diss'n sony but walmart carries them so that just shoots them down right there lol, all i can say is bite the bullet on a nice amp off the bat, u can always go bigger with speakers

Bush0102
06-19-2005, 06:27 PM
I used to have two eclipse aluminum 10" subs and those things hit so hard, so clear, and had a huge range. they handled a lot of power for their size. i think there's a titanium series too, check out e-bay

Cody_300ex
06-19-2005, 06:36 PM
JL audio W7's for your subs for sure if you have the money. He also ran 2 JL audio 1000 watt amps. Most of his car was dyno matted and when he had it above half way it shook the entire car. It is the hardest hiting system I have every heard hands down. Hard to beat JL audio.

Narly R
06-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by DierWolf
Its "Rockford Fosgate" not Rockward Fozzgate.

PS, you dont want to go cheap on speakers or Preamps or Amps when it comes to car stereo, skimp on any of the 2 and you might as well had left it stock. It seems your already headed that way by looking for cheap speakers.

Suggest you have someone that knows about the stuff select compatable equipment for you...

I don't want what is cheaper, but what is best for the price, and I was just woundering if these other brand names were as good as the Fosgate stuff. Why spend more when I could get something just as good for cheaper...? But I dont know if these are as good as these, or what is good? I have heard really good things about JL Adio, but havent looked into those much, just if anyone has any suggestions, I wont go the cheaper route, I want it to sound good...

MichaelS693
06-19-2005, 09:54 PM
go jl if you can... well worth the price... stay away from sony.. rockford fosgate and a certain type of the alpine subs are good.. they have a few types like type E type R and type S:D pretty much every type of amp is good... class d is the best and dont go towards a cheap amp or cheap company... power acoustic or zapco or planet audio are good;)

TCracin440ex
06-19-2005, 09:57 PM
JL audio all the way bro....my buddy had an older model ford probe with 2 jl audio w6 12's in it...and i have a driveway that is about 100 yards long or longer....and dude was at the top of my driveway and i could feel the windows in my house shaking from them 2 subs....JL audio all the way man...

sony explode the pentagon shapped subs thump pretty damn good too my buddy has a set of 12's in his cavi with an 800 wat amp and they will rattle your brains when your inside the car

nowukno
06-19-2005, 10:11 PM
JL Audio is by far the best subwoofer made , W7 is the best , but W3 and W6 are very good also. Very expensive though , but you get what you pay for.

Cody_300ex
06-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by nowukno
JL Audio is by far the best subwoofer made , W7 is the best , but W3 and W6 are very good also. Very expensive though , but you get what you pay for.

Very true, My bros W7 would thump insanly good. He was gunna enter it in a sound compition, but he ended up totaling the car out.:ermm:

Narly R
06-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I dont know if I will go JL, but I will look into it. Thanks

LuckyOxygen
06-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Whoever says sony sucks, you need to learn a little more. Yes the cheapo red ones at walmart are cheasy. But like most other companies, they have a competition speaker, which holds twice the watts than the cheap ones. JL audio does make good products. Are you wanting something to just bump a little, or are you wanting a slamming *** system? JL, (kicker solo-baric), MA audio, Crossfire, Eclipse!(already mentioned), fosgate, the list goes on and on for good subs. Make sure you get good component speakers too, I dont care what anyone says on this, but Alpine is the way to go for highs. Just go to a local audio store, but not best buy or wal mart, and talk to them.

unstopable1
06-20-2005, 12:01 AM
I run 3 12inch MTX thunder 8000 in my truck with a 1501 d amplifier and it hits d#$n hard

Scro
06-20-2005, 08:47 AM
for a while i ran incriminator audio. Its a small company from around where i live, but there stuff is very nice. I had 4 12's of the Lethal Injection series off 2400 watts and it was doing 149.4 off of the dash on the new Termlab sensor. You may also want to check into RE Audio. There stuff is top of the line also.

RE (http://www.reaudio.com)
Incriminator Audio (http://www.incriminatoraudio.com)

Scro
06-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Also, I know this is going to start a bunch of crap, but I would stay away from JL. If you are looking for sound quality they would be alright, but there are many companies that make subs that are far superior to them. If you are lookin for something that is loud, dont get JL. You can make them loud, but for the money, there is so much better out there. If you dont believe me, go to termpro.com (http://www.termpro.com) . Check out the competitors menu. None of the competitors use JL, for the simple fact that they are junk in the SPL department.

nowukno
06-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by bama450r
Also, I know this is going to start a bunch of crap, but I would stay away from JL. If you are looking for sound quality they would be alright, but there are many companies that make subs that are far superior to them. If you are lookin for something that is loud, dont get JL. You can make them loud, but for the money, there is so much better out there. If you dont believe me, go to termpro.com (http://www.termpro.com) . Check out the competitors menu. None of the competitors use JL, for the simple fact that they are junk in the SPL department.

That's the most bull chit i have ever heard - LOL :huh

Scro
06-20-2005, 11:18 AM

believe what you want....i was simply stating my opinion.

nowukno
06-20-2005, 11:20 AM
believe what you want....i was simply stating my opinion.

And so was i

400EX_Kid_03
06-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Please dont go with the Sony's... or the Rockford's for that matter. I have an Alpine Type R 12" sub in my eclipse.... just plain POUNDS... and for only 1!!! I would sugguest a couple of Type R's, or if you want to spend the money, check ebay for some Type X's... straight up power subs.

Scro
06-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 400EX_Kid_03
Please dont go with the Sony's...

i agree

Narly R
06-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the help guys I will look into those things...

Fender Bender
06-20-2005, 09:25 PM
thanks for the resonant engineering link bama, you beat me to it. :p

I have always had good luck with orion amplifiers, and i hear good things about pheonix gold. Of the three you listed, I would go with infinity. I have heard good things about the perfect series. JL is too played out, everyone either has them or wants them. I use JL seperates (mistake) and woofers. I'm losing all of them soon. http://www.s10forum.com has a guy that goes by the sn of PunkORama, he knows his ****, start a thread there if you want and he can help you out a lot. I would type a novel but its been a long *** day and im tired, hehe.

good luck with your choices, remember to do it right the first time or it will only cost you more money. ;)

TGW_400ex
06-20-2005, 09:57 PM
JL is the best company out there but there subs are so damn expensive.:eek2: I like my L7 its pounds;)

TGW_400ex
06-20-2005, 10:03 PM

You dont know too much about car audio then. I'm pretty sure JL doesn't hold the record for the loudest sub.

Bush0102
06-20-2005, 10:03 PM
if you want to shatter glass and make babies cry, that 13w7 can't be beat for loudness.

but i'm telling you, definately look into the eclipse aluminum and titanium series subs if you want unbelievable sound quality with quite a bit of loudness. i think a titanium series 10" sub is rated at like 1300 watts RMS. i ran mine with a phoenix gold amp.

MichaelS693
06-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by LuckyOxygen
Whoever says sony sucks, you need to learn a little more.

WKY400EX
06-20-2005, 10:57 PM
JL makes some really good stuff, it's just really expensive though. Like bama450r said, there are a several great car audio companies out there. Seems like a lot of the good ones are the ones you haven't heard of. Look at the products from Resonant Engineering, Digital Designs, & Orion. Just to name a few.

MAaudioX10
06-20-2005, 11:18 PM
MTX has always made top of the line car audio. MTX makes a 22" sound quality subwoofer called the jack hammer. Now, that is the extreme of the extreme considering it is a 390 lbs subwoofer and retails for $5,999.

MTX, also, makes the T9500. You think the JL W7 is mean. You haven't seen this bad boy in action. Not only is the T9500 less money, it has a larger motor structure, more power handling, more excursion, and is constructed far better. One thing I do not understand is JL use foam for there surrounds, even on the W7. Everyone else, even Sony, has moved on to butyl rubber. Vastly superior to foam.

Chanman420q
06-20-2005, 11:37 PM
i didnt read this entire thread so i may be repeating everything that already said, but no ones making you read my post, so heres my 2 cents

its not just the equipment that you use, its how its all set up. Ive always compared audio setups to the human body... ill explain

deck, is like your head, better the head unit, the better you can tune it

Wiring, is like vains, if ur vains are to small, thats not good, ( high blood pressure, lol ) but if there 2 big, that isnt always good either

Amp, the amp is like the heart, u want it to be strong but not to strong

Box, is like the lungs. the box in my oppinion is most important ill explain later on

sub woofers, is the "person" if a person isnt "healthy" ur not gunna be in good shape

its a stupid comparison, an you may think im on drugs right now but if you really think about it, its right.

Its all about how everything works together, if an amp doesnt power the sub enough, it wont sound right, and if your box doesnt have enough air space, it wont hit right, but if theres 2 much air, the bass is sloppy.

Another thing to remember, wiring is very important, a lot of people over look that. when an amp is say 500 wats, that its max peak, and it has to get the full voltage, if your wires cant handle the voltage the amp draws, it loses power, so ur sub may only see say, 355 wats.

As far as what equipment i would suggest, id say go with JL, im a big fan of theres, some people think there overpriced, which i think they are a too, but the quality and the balance between SPL and SP is just right for me. i have 2 10w7s and 2 500/1 amps, its LOUD. I started out with the 10w0s, rated at 125wattsRMS, dont think down on them because they only suggest 125 wats, they were pretty good and priced good. Good dailey driver subs.

hope i helped

if you got any questions about this stuff or what ever hit me up

PS dont bother with Capasators, waste of money, an alternator is the only solution

Chanman420q
06-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by MAaudioX10
MTX has always made top of the line car audio. MTX makes a 22" sound quality subwoofer called the jack hammer. Now, that is the extreme of the extreme considering it is a 390 lbs subwoofer and retails for $5,999.

The MTX 9500 series, is a nasty sub, im a JL fan 110% but ill give props to the 9500, its insane

Narly R
06-20-2005, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the info guys but I am not looking for the BEST sub or amp out there, I have about $600 to spend, so I need to get the best I can with that.

What is the best Alpine 12"?

2002400ex
06-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Try Kicker Comp VR's. They are good subs for the money. They sound really nice in a large proted box.

Fender Bender
06-21-2005, 07:05 AM
http://www.acaraudio.com/images/ALPSWRNEW.gif

Alpine SWR-1221D - 129.99 [link (http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=74)]

• 12" subwoofer
• Frequency Response: 24Hz – 2kHz
• Dual 2-ohm Voice Coil Design
• Power range: 100-300 watts RMS
• Peak power handling: 1,000 watts
• Sensitivity: 87 dB
• Kevlar Reinforced Pulp Cone
• High Excursion 1” Santopreneฎ Surround
• Dual Custom Progressive Nomexฎ Spiders
• Integrated Tinsel Lead Design
• Custom Cast Aluminum Frame
• Extra Length Extended Pole
• Flared Pole Vent
• Bumped Backplate
• Heat Transfer Plate
• High Strength Brass Voice Coil Bobbin
• Double Stacked Magnets
• Heavy Duty 8ga. Push Terminals
• Oversized Parabolic Dustcap
• Magnetically Optimized Motor Structure

Combine that and this (http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=37&products_id=870) amp and you have money left over..

Bush0102
06-21-2005, 08:49 AM
type r is the best alpine sub for the money

SixthFloorFreak
06-21-2005, 12:20 PM
i'm gonna go ahead and back up everything that bama450r said. RE and Incriminator can't be beat IMO. the RE MT and the Incriminator Audio Death Penalty are among the loudest SPL woofers you can buy, with better customer service than Digital Designs or Shocker. all the other lines from RE and Incriminator crush everything in the price range...the RE XXX rivals the JL W7 at nearly half the price, and 95+% of the linear xmax.

also, to whoever made the comment about rubber surrounds being superior to foam, you need to read up. while its true that a rubber surround will probably last longer, the spiders will wear out long before the surround will deteriorate. not to mention that suspension compliance weighs heavily on efficiency and other TS parameters, so for a given sub, a foam surround could actually perform better. don't get it twisted, rubber surrounds have their place though...on midwoofers :D

Fender Bender
06-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by SixthFloorFreak
i'm gonna go ahead and back up everything that bama450r said. RE and Incriminator can't be beat IMO. the RE MT and the Incriminator Audio Death Penalty are among the loudest SPL woofers you can buy, with better customer service than Digital Designs or Shocker. all the other lines from RE and Incriminator crush everything in the price range...the RE XXX rivals the JL W7 at nearly half the price, and 95+% of the linear xmax.

also, to whoever made the comment about rubber surrounds being superior to foam, you need to read up. while its true that a rubber surround will probably last longer, the spiders will wear out long before the surround will deteriorate. not to mention that suspension compliance weighs heavily on efficiency and other TS parameters, so for a given sub, a foam surround could actually perform better. don't get it twisted, rubber surrounds have their place though...on midwoofers :D

finally a decent reply!

SixthFloorFreak
06-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Fender Bender
finally a decent reply!

i try :devil:

Scro
06-21-2005, 12:48 PM

;)

SixthFloorFreak
06-21-2005, 12:51 PM
bama, have you seen Steve Cook's new vehicle, Big Jim? got to sit in it for a burp Saturday night...165 with 3 or 4 12's in it and nothing but a square dash in it :eek2: ...gonna be real loud when he gets a "real" extreme install in it

Scro
06-21-2005, 12:54 PM
damn! Was that on a full burp?!? you got balls man..lol...But no i havent seen it yet. I havent been in his shop for about a year now. I have been tied up with my r, and just ran out of money to stay in the car audio business..lol....What kind of vehicle is he using?

SixthFloorFreak
06-21-2005, 01:02 PM
yeah, that was a full burp, but the interior is just square, as far from a typical extreme interior as it can be. he's using the new strappable Pioneer PRS-D5000SPL amps and the TS-W5000SPL 12's. the van has a lot of history, used to be filled with Strokers and Zapco 9.0's and was owned by Team Pure Sounds and Aaron "Chili" Roberts IIRC. its an old VW Bus

:D

http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/photos/E7684W1M7P8C.jpg

old stats page for Big Jim - http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=556&Season=0

Killa250ex
06-21-2005, 07:44 PM
One word: Audiobahn

Heres my setup I had in my Ranger :devil:

2 1000w 15's at point blank behind your head...

Killa250ex
06-21-2005, 07:45 PM
...It made ears bleed...

Killa250ex
06-21-2005, 07:46 PM
...Best Ive heard in ahwhile...

Narly R
06-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys keep the info comming.

Fender Bender
06-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
One word: Audiobahn

lol

2002400ex
06-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Audiobahns sound really good but are not very reliable:ermm:

Scro
06-22-2005, 07:24 AM
lol

x2

SixthFloorFreak
06-22-2005, 07:49 AM
x2

x eleventy

also, i'm sure if my 6 12's in a wall with 2000 watts doesn't make my ears bleed, 2 (sealed?) Audiobahn 15's wouldn't either. i'm not trying to start a flamewar or anything, just stating my opinion

http://img233.echo.cx/img233/6131/dscf02349vk.jpg

Scro
06-22-2005, 07:51 AM
^^^and you can bet he had some "professional" help with that install...lol...what's that thing sound like to the meter?

SixthFloorFreak
06-22-2005, 07:53 AM
^^^and you can bet he had some "professional" help with that install...lol

those subs are sold, 6 LI 12's coming, and another MTX 1501D. also got 2 sets of RE components waiting to go in with ~700 watts for them. :devil:

Fender Bender
06-22-2005, 07:58 AM
those subs are sold, 6 LI 12's coming, and another MTX 1501D. also got 2 sets of RE components waiting to go in with ~700 watts for them. :devil:

I have some RE XXX mids coming, let me know how they sound. I'm going to use Morel 3.5" tweeters, though.

SixthFloorFreak
06-22-2005, 08:01 AM
I have some RE XXX mids coming, let me know how they sound. I'm going to use Morel 3.5" tweeters, though.

i heard a set of the XXX's paired with Vifa tweets on some Kicker 4 channel amp in a buddy's truck....let's just say that i think you'll be happy with them :eek2:

Scro
06-22-2005, 08:03 AM

i wish i would have known that man, i got 4 that you could have got cheap!

Fender Bender
06-22-2005, 08:09 AM
i heard a set of the XXX's paired with Vifa tweets on some Kicker 4 channel amp in a buddy's truck....let's just say that i think you'll be happy with them :eek2:

What were they mounted in? I'm still deciding on where I'm going to mount mine. I'm obviously going to have to do some cutting, I was thinking about sealing up the door with dynamat and throwing a spacer in the door and cutting out the grill, then flush mounting the tweets 2 inches above the mid, but I'm leaning towards kickpanels.

SixthFloorFreak
06-22-2005, 08:20 AM
What were they mounted in? I'm still deciding on where I'm going to mount mine. I'm obviously going to have to do some cutting, I was thinking about sealing up the door with dynamat and throwing a spacer in the door and cutting out the grill, then flush mounting the tweets 2 inches above the mid, but I'm leaning towards kickpanels.

this is the setup i heard
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94516

bama, thanks for the offer, but i'd hate to mix old and new drivers...also, Nick is hooking me up with an awesome price on them :devil:

Scro
06-22-2005, 08:22 AM
this is the setup i heard
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94516

bama, thanks for the offer, but i'd hate to mix old and new drivers...also, Nick is hooking me up with an awesome price on them :devil:

i hear ya!

ZBlaster
06-22-2005, 01:56 PM

truest words spoken in this entire thread...

i thought i was the only one thats ever run incriminators... they have VERY nice subs for the price... right now im running 4 Memphis M3 12's and 2 Memphis 1000D's (last years models amps)...