PDA

View Full Version : wheres my oil going?

maxamillion
06-19-2005, 12:42 PM
i just did a routine oil change on my 02 400ex. I usually change the oil, start the motor and let the oil circulate, then add more until its full. It has always stayed at the same level, but i checked it after a long ride and it showed low on the dip stick. So I filled the oil tank to the top, and after another long ride its showing low. There are no visible leaks and it does not smoke, not even at start up. Anyone have any ideas whats causing this?

Thanks

maxamillion
06-19-2005, 01:09 PM
well i just had my bro rev up the motor and it does blow white smoke from the exhaust (not at idle though). He was riding behind me yesterday and said he noticed it then too. Is it time for a new piston and rings? The motor hasnt been rebuilt (as far as i know) since 2002 and i have no clue how many hours are on it because i bought it used.

jak1389
06-19-2005, 03:27 PM
it is probably time then to change piston and rings. not a bad idea to also change vavle seals while in the motor.

DeerNuts
06-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by jak1389
it is probably time then to change piston and rings. not a bad idea to also change vavle seals while in the motor.

I agree. I just changed the piston rings recently but not the piston because it is in very good shape. The motor smoked a bit--- exactly the same as he said, lots of white smoke at higher rpm's. Me being the dumbarse I am didnt bother to change the valve seals/have valves adjusted while I had the motor all torn apart and it still smokes:( Wonder what I gotta do now?:o

greg_gorrell
06-19-2005, 08:26 PM
change your vavle seals?