PDA

View Full Version : Finally broke my frame

450Racer
06-18-2005, 10:06 PM
ah. i knew i was in for it. this is my second year on the frame, i bought it in Feb 04'. it has taken SEVERE abuse with the stock shocks all last year. i bottomed them out all the time, cased jumps, all that good stuff. i thought i'd be in the clear till the winter for the gusset kit or a new frame with my Elka shocks. however, i was wrong. i ran HARD at practice tuesday. i ran 3 hours on and off the track. i overshot some jumps, landed crooked on a few, but didn't case anything. i really rode it hard. i was washing it today, checking over all my bolts and stuff for the race tomorrow and low ane behold the frame was completely cracked on the left upper side near the kickstarter or under the seat. it looks like the frame bent down from stress of the motor and the top couldn't take it and it busted. i'm goign to get it welded adn hopefully it wont' break again till winter. i think i'm just going to buy a new frame. i hear they're only $400 bucks. then get it gusseted and powdercoated.

does anyone know if these frames are steel or chromoly? i'm leaning towards chromoloy. but for $400 bucks, i'm leaning towards steal. anyway, this sucks. i'll put a pic up tomorrow after the race. and yes, i'm racing it with a busted frame, not welded, it's saturday night and no one is open. hopefully if i take it easy in practice, it'll hold up 2 motos.

K_Fulk
06-18-2005, 10:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43964&item=4556628849&rd=1

450Racer
06-18-2005, 11:19 PM
i wish. even if i got that, it would be illegal for me to run Production class at Nationals. i think a new frame and gusset should hold up for another couple years until i build a new bike.

hondaracer305
06-19-2005, 12:31 AM
wow, EXACT same story for me. i ran stock all year since march suspension wise and i just now found a crack in the exact same spot yours is cracked. im actually suprised thats the first and only crack in my frame, i flatlanded that thing sooo many times off 50 and 60 ft tables... the impact of the crash when i was in texas flatlanding off a table, broke my handlebars :eek2:

Punk'd
06-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by hondaracer305
wow, EXACT same story for me. i ran stock all year since march suspension wise and i just now found a crack in the exact same spot yours is cracked. im actually suprised thats the first and only crack in my frame, i flatlanded that thing sooo many times off 50 and 60 ft tables... the impact of the crash when i was in texas flatlanding off a table, broke my handlebars :eek2:

WOW..

450Racer
06-19-2005, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
WOW..

holy crap. i've never busted a pair of bars thank god. i guess i'm lucky that it's not busted in other places. the weird thing is, i've been running Elka's all this year and it's a fresh crack. oh well. i think a good guess would be...if the shocks are moving a lot more, maybe the motor was putting too much downward pressure when my shocks compressed and it bent the frame and then just cracked cause of the stress. oh well. i'll be getting it welded tomorrow. i'm headed down now to see if i can't bust this again, haha.

hondaracer305
06-19-2005, 12:03 PM
thats odd that it cracked w/ elkas :huh , ive bottomed my stock suspension way to many times, im trying to see if elka can hook me up or something, prolly not, but we'll see, then i shouldnt have anymore frame problems.. :o

hondaracer305
06-19-2005, 12:04 PM
WOW..

dunno if thats sarcasm or what, but ok..

Prey
06-19-2005, 03:11 PM
hey man, i am intersted in where you are hearing about $400 frames, i looked at alba and saw them for $630.

i just found some cracks in my frame, it would great if i could save a few hundred replacing it

ThumPIN_450R
06-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Try to see if you're dealer can get honda to warrantee it my 04 was cracked in 10 different spots before I was able to get a new one I just kept welding it myself and then my dealer called and told me that he got me a new frame so that was good stuuf to hear

dirtriderex
06-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Not a bad idea to buy a new frame, I just checked service Honda and the Frame goes for $432! That is cheap

Punk'd
06-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer305
dunno if thats sarcasm or what, but ok..

Not at all man. Just never broke a pair of handle bars

450Racer
06-19-2005, 06:16 PM
well, i raced it today and nothing else busted from what i know. haha. i crashed REAL bad in practice. i jumped over a guy and overshot it and landed croked and it pitched me. it pisssed me off to see him roll over the landing in 2nd gear while i was stuck under my quad :grr:. i got 3rd overall for B, not too bad. i got the holeshot but got stuffed in the corner by the outside guy and finished 3 or i would have had 2nd. the track is too narrow to pass in many places, but anyway...i was jumping about 80' down a hill from the finish jump and it still didn't bend. it was a smoth landing.

yeah that's nuts. breaking bars, i've heard of bending.

yep, it busted with my Elka's, i'm really suprised. i can imagine the stockers but these things are like butter. hmm. yep, my dealer told me he could get it for me for $432 and i work there and get a 15% discount so like 365. that's really cheap if you ask me. better than paying like four times that for a decent one.

Prey
06-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
Not a bad idea to buy a new frame, I just checked service Honda and the Frame goes for $432! That is cheap

MAN!!!!!!!!!!! thanks a ton for the info, it is truely appreciated

hondaracer305
06-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Not at all man. Just never broke a pair of handle bars

its cool man, i wasnt tryin to be a prick or anything, just couldnt tell.. ironic thing was, i had drove all the way to texas for that freestyle show, then, my first lap around the track to warm up a little bit before i started hitting steel ramps, i broke the bars in under 3 minutes or riding after driving 13 hours... but i got hooked up with some bars so it was all good :D

4fiddyR
06-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Join the club, Broke mine in that spot on both sides, and underneath by where the pegs mount, also on the front shock mount brace. Anything ridden long and hard enough will stress and crack or brake.

I raced High Point this past weekend, and had Jody from JB Racing do some welding for me! That guys is a surgeon welder, looks factory, thank you JB RACING!!! When I get a new frame this winter I am taking it to them to gusset it, then it will be time to get some cool PC.