PDA

View Full Version : stuck swingarm bolt HELP!

06-18-2005, 09:14 PM
ok i have an 04 and the swing arm was moving slitly so i went to change the bearings. I CANT GET THE BOLT OUT!!!:mad: i have tried using i sledge w/ no efect. i've unbolted the shock and raised and lowered the frame to every pos. and still won't budge. yes i have put an impact and got it turning wile pounding it. now i have tryed drilling the bolt head off and pushing it the other way, still won't move. the only thing left i can think of is thread a rod inside and use a bottle jack to pull it. any other sugestions??????????i am stumped and will be missing a race on the 26th if i can't get this stupid bolt out:mad:

Punk'd
06-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Take a screw driver and put it head on against the bolt and hit it with a hammer? sorry man all i can think of.

KEVIN132
06-19-2005, 05:59 AM
why dont they put a zirk on this bolt. someone has one and they make the bolt out of something stronger also!last chance i would weld a something to it and use a cumalong or something?GOOD LUCK heard you were swimin at last race?

2004TRX450R
06-19-2005, 09:21 AM
This is probably the MOST overlooked part of maintanence. What happens is the bolt rusts to the collars inside. So they will spin but not come out as the collars are larger than the holes the bolt goes through in the frame. If you don't maintain your quad properly and dissassemble the suspension and grease everything this will happen and it doesn't take all that long. As a general rule I try to do it at least every 6 months worth of rideing but I don't ride a lot. If you ride a lot especially if you like to get it muddy and wet you need to do it much more frequently. When this happened on my 250R I actually bent the frame tabs out from beating on it so hard! And it still didn't budge. Then from the frame tab being bent I was able to get a cut off wheel in there and cut the bolt on both sides and get it out that way. Then had to cut the bolt in the middle to pull out of each side. You might want to try to set the quad on it's side and use some penatrateing oil on it several times. It MIGHT loosen it up enough to drive it out. Otherwise it sounds like you are going to be doing some cutting.

plkmonster2
06-19-2005, 01:16 PM
On my 400, I sprayed it with pb blaster the night before. The next morning, I made a special tool out of a bolt. It was the same size as the swingarm bolt, but the end had a small nub that fit into the swing arm bolt. While someone else was turning the bolt, I tapped on it. Came out in about 5 minutes, and that was after it sat in there for 6 years....

trxHRC450r
06-19-2005, 04:19 PM
get an air hammer on that. i work at a shop and it seems every 400ex we have through there has that swing arm bolt bent to $hit. you may want to invest in a new bolt. also the pb blaster or wd40 will help but thats what i have found to work best

KEVIN132
06-19-2005, 06:38 PM
does anyone know who makes the bolt with the zirk????i want one now that ive seen this . checked mine its fine!!

06-19-2005, 07:04 PM
hey kevin132 what does swimin at the last race mean??? thanx everyone for the info. but i've tried almost everything so far except the air hamer and cutin it. i'ts been sokin with pb blster for 5 days:ermm: tomarrow in work i'm going to get a hyd. puller and see about the air hammer. if this doesn't work my buddys gona see about getin a cutting torch, but thats scarry. i'll keep you all posted on the progress. thanx J

KEVIN132
06-19-2005, 08:11 PM
somebody 666 was at a race and dumped or something then people said he jumped in the water nearby? it was on neatvmx website i think ?i thought it mita been you thats all.

cals400ex
06-20-2005, 10:02 AM
i got a bolt with a grease zerk from the quadshop on my 400ex. i would assume they can get them for the 450r too, unless they arent out yet.

06-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by KEVIN132
somebody 666 was at a race and dumped or something then people said he jumped in the water nearby? it was on neatvmx website i think ?i thought it mita been you thats all. :D yea that was Chris 666 it was at the jolly mud fest, it was prety funny;) :D

KEVIN132
06-20-2005, 06:20 PM
thanks for heading me to quadshop i knew someone made them ,hows it holding up?????

cals400ex
06-20-2005, 07:15 PM
i didn't have any problems with it. i didn't have it too long though because i sold the bike.

4fiddyR
06-20-2005, 07:16 PM
when they are siezed, and you try to knock it out from the threaded side, you actually mushroom the hollow bolt. You need to cut the head off and knock it the rest of the way through the foot brake side. 3/8 extension worked for my buddies 2003 400ex once we cut the bolt head off. (use a craftsman so if ya brake it you can return it) Just don't tell em what ya did.

plkmonster2
06-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Lol, I love craftsman stuff. Last week a guy came in with a twisted up screwdriver. He walked out with a new one... for free.

2001400exrider
06-21-2005, 04:19 PM
should u be able to put a rachet on the foot brake side and turn the bolt? either way?

06-25-2005, 09:32 PM
well i tried the hyd puller, got it up to 1000 lbs and hit the other side w/ a sledge and NO GO. i actually pulled a 3/8 bolt apart!!!! so i brought home a drill the same size and i'm going to wipe out the bolt compleatly. it will only harm the bearings and bushing wich i already have. what sucks is i'm missing my 1st race in 18 mos. but the kids are racin so wish them luck. I'll keep you all posted when i get this sucker apart:macho

KEVIN132
06-26-2005, 04:54 AM
good luck to the kids and when you get that darn thing out . ihope you put a zirk type in like im gonna but whent to the quadtech website and there were no zirk bolts on it .can someone give me a number to call????????

06-26-2005, 07:49 AM
The first thing I did when I bought mine was take the rear suspension link and swingarm bolt out a grease everything. I just tore mine down to the frame and my swingarm bolt slid out nicely. Just a tip for all do it now while you can. It is worth the time and effort.

07-06-2005, 08:55 PM
well i got it out FINALLY. i ended up drilling out bolth sides to inside the frame. Of corse when i did this the drill walked and wouldn't cut any more so i brought home a long hand grinder and had to cut little slices then turn the bolt w/ a drill to cut more slices. on the clutch levr side i came in from the top and on the throtle side i hade to use a smaller wheel and come from the bottom:rolleyes: 3 hrs later the swing arm was out. But vaca was this week and we went to the cape, so it sat on the garage floor:grr: looks like i'll be missin another race cause of no practice time:mad: we'll see. so take it from me GREASE EVERYTHING AS SOON AS U GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanx for the input