PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

jp8400ex
06-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Here goes, I took my cylinder to the local bike shop to have my GTthunder heavy duty headstuds installed on my 400ex. I talked to the shop manager before I agreed to let them work on it and I gave him the instructions included with the headstuds. I told him VERY specifically that the instructions needed to be followed completely because the headstuds are critical height. Anyways, I picked up the cylinder today and everything looked ok at the shop. When I got home I measured the headstuds and found that every single one of them was off from the measurements that were on the instructions. Well that got me a little agravated. Then I realized that they had put all the studs in the wrong location!!! Now i'm mad. But here comes the part that just really ticked me off. I decided to test fit my head just to make sure that they had atleast tapped the holes straight. Yep you guessed it, my cylinder head would not fit on the studs due to the fact that the front stud is totally crooked. Does this mean my cylinder is junk? I am soooooo mad right now! The stupid shop doesn't open until monday. What would you guys tell them? Any advice?

FoxRacing81
06-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Heads would roll if it were me...

That's ****ed dude...but its how all the **** gets done these days..half assed. I'd make them buy you a new cylinder since they don't seem to want to follow directions.

2004exrider
06-18-2005, 08:42 PM
id go back up there and find that manager and tell him that they completely screwed up! Ask why he didnt follow the instructions after you told them to because it was very important to have the settings exact. tell them they were all off (the measurements) and just for the hell of it you tried it and it doesnt fit at ALL. if it were me id demand they buy me a new cylinder and put brand new studs in them and if not take them to court.

Jimmy

nosliw
06-18-2005, 09:17 PM
be assertive and get them to pay for a new cylinder head. sounds reasonable and they shouldnt refuse to.

Glamis400ex
06-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Oh boy, does this bring back a bad memory. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me except FDO Racing was the ones that jacked them up. I got my freshly bored cylinder back from them only to discover that ALL the studs were in crooked. I came un-glued. I promly called FDO and snaaped a digi photo and sent it to them via e-mail. They were at a loss...they had no excuse.

BUT...THEY DID OFFER A REMEDY

They had a used, clean cylinder available. They offered me that used cylinder and a new set of studs installed....and sent my $100 check back to me. They also cut me a check for $50 to cover the cost of having that cylinder bored here in town. So, I got a decent, clean used cylinder, new HD studs, and a fresh bore for free. Yes, I was inconvenienced for a couple weeks but it was fine. It was during the summer and I didn't need my quad for another couple of months anyway.

They goofed...but they made it right. I would still have FDO do it again if needed. No hard feelings.

Glamis

jp8400ex
06-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Well I won't be able to talk to them until monday. I WILL let you guys know if they try to screw me on this one...:grr:

jp8400ex
06-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Well my local shop finally called me back and said that they had fixed all the mistakes and the headstuds were now magically straight. When i went to pick up the cylinder I found that one of the headstuds had been drilled so deep that a hole went clean through 2 of the cooling fins on the outside of the cylinder. I realize that this shouldn't really matter but since i they had screwed up so badly before i just completely do not trust this shop anymore. I told them that i wanted a new cylinder because they had jacked up mine and my money back for the service that they could not provide to me. They insisted that i was overreacting about them installing everything incorrectly and that the cylinder had been "repaired" and was good to go. Finally after about 1 1/2 hours of arguing with the service manager and the store manager, they finally agreed to give me my money back and ordered me a new cylinder. Moral of the story... check out your shop before you have any work done!! Anyways, my new cylinder will be going directly to GTThunder when it comes in. :D

FoxRacing81
06-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Good deal man.

2004exrider
06-21-2005, 04:52 PM
glad to see you didnt give in, always put up a fight!
Good Job:)

03400EX_Nacs
06-21-2005, 06:52 PM
i have had several problems out of my local shop too. sometimes i dunno what the deal is i just think it is they dont take the time to do things right... half assing it, as it has already been said

huffdaddy_400EX
06-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by jp8400ex
Well my local shop finally called me back and said that they had fixed all the mistakes and the headstuds were now magically straight. When i went to pick up the cylinder I found that one of the headstuds had been drilled so deep that a hole went clean through 2 of the cooling fins on the outside of the cylinder. I realize that this shouldn't really matter but since i they had screwed up so badly before i just completely do not trust this shop anymore. I told them that i wanted a new cylinder because they had jacked up mine and my money back for the service that they could not provide to me. They insisted that i was overreacting about them installing everything incorrectly and that the cylinder had been "repaired" and was good to go. Finally after about 1 1/2 hours of arguing with the service manager and the store manager, they finally agreed to give me my money back and ordered me a new cylinder. Moral of the story... check out your shop before you have any work done!! Anyways, my new cylinder will be going directly to GTThunder when it comes in. :D

glad to hear it all came out good for ya