PDA

View Full Version : how much is sand blasting???

enduro400rider
06-18-2005, 11:11 AM
well i got my 400 apart and plan to paint the frame ( i dont have the cash for PC ) and i sanded and painted the A arms and i really dont want to do the whole frame by hand :rolleyes: so i was thinkin about sand blasting how much do you guys think it would cost to have my frame and sub done at a shop?? just an average price is what im lookin for, thanks

250-R-250
06-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Even if you sand blasted it you would need a coat of something on there because it will rust.

enduro400rider
06-18-2005, 12:43 PM
yeah i know thats why im painting it, i just dont want to take the old paint off by hand like i did with the a arms. i will paint it after its sand blasted

ReconRider25
06-19-2005, 06:23 PM
when i did my frame i didnt have access to a sandblaster so i used the spray on paint stripper and then i sanded any spots where it wasent able to get. frame turned out good too cant even tell where the spots were that i couldnt get the paint off of and its holdin up good.

VT250X
06-25-2005, 06:57 AM
Do you own or have access to a large air compressor? If you do you can probably do it yourself. Walmart (around here) has a Campbell Hausfield sand blasting gun kit for like $20. I just got a 100 lb bag of Black Beauty at a heavy equipment store for $10. $30 total is pretty cheap. You will want a shop vac to clean up as your working other wise it can turn into a real mess. The biggest problem is having enough air flow so a large compressor is a must. Unless you want to do it in short bursts and wait while the tank fills.

LM

FoxRacing81
06-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by VT250X
Do you own or have access to a large air compressor? If you do you can probably do it yourself. Walmart (around here) has a Campbell Hausfield sand blasting gun kit for like $20. I just got a 100 lb bag of Black Beauty at a heavy equipment store for $10. $30 total is pretty cheap. You will want a shop vac to clean up as your working other wise it can turn into a real mess. The biggest problem is having enough air flow so a large compressor is a must. Unless you want to do it in short bursts and wait while the tank fills.

LM

That gun is pretty small though, isn't it? My uncle told me it'd take a year to do a frame, and he has a smaller one.

-Justin

VT250X
06-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Yeah it is kinda small, but if you got most of the paint off with the stripper then used it for the stuff thats stuck in the welds and other areas you couldn't scrape it would be great. It would also remove the rust a lot easier than sanding.

LM

prepracing
06-25-2005, 06:28 PM
I paid 30 bucks for my frame and subframe to be sand blasted, but they also powdercoated it for me so they did it a little cheaper. I would say somewhere around 50 bucks to have it done