PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem...help quick

FoxRacing81
06-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Okay..I was riding on the 426.....and I accidently stalled it out. Whenever I went to fire it back up, I hit the start button and nothing happened. We got it to drift start however, and the lights and everything worked fine. We tried puttin a battery charger on my battery and it wouldnt take a charge, but I am not sure whether it is my battery or my selanoid or something else.

Please help. At first, we put the charger on the battery and the neutral light would come on, but once you hit the start button it went out and the selanoid made some noise. Now, the neutral light doesn't come on at all.

Thanks
-Justin

quading is fun
06-18-2005, 10:12 AM
happened to my dad's quad, its probably the selanoid... my dad's had the front one bad...

EASTHILL
06-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Remove the batt ground ,clean it and re try.

wilkin250r
06-18-2005, 12:09 PM
It sounds like a battery problem, or a connection problem.

Try jump-starting it with a car battery. Don't worry, it's safe (trust me, I'm an electrical engineer, it's safe). If it starts fine, it's probably a battery problem. If it DOESN'T start with the car battery, it's something else, either a connection problem or a bad component (like the solenoid).

FoxRacing81
06-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It sounds like a battery problem, or a connection problem.

Try jump-starting it with a car battery. Don't worry, it's safe (trust me, I'm an electrical engineer, it's safe). If it starts fine, it's probably a battery problem. If it DOESN'T start with the car battery, it's something else, either a connection problem or a bad component (like the solenoid).

Thanks man..

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a new battery anyway. It needed one (when my motor was rebuilt a week ago or so, the guy tried to start it and my battery was completely dead...he charged it and got my motor to start, but then the next day it cranked over but didn't have enough power to start the quad, so it needed a new one whether the battery was causing the problem or not)

So, I filled it with acid and I'm letting it charge right now before I put the caps on and try it. Hopefully it's just the battery.

If it is the selanoid, how much does a new one usually cost? and would a dealer or a local atv parts store have one instock usually?

Thanks again guys
-Justin

wilkin250r
06-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Can't help you on the solenoid, I never had to buy one.

FoxRacing81
06-18-2005, 01:28 PM
The battery didn't do anything. The light neutral light didn't come back on, it didn't start or anything. Last night, my friend accidently took the charger cables off without unplugging the cable and tried hooking it up to the solenoid and stuff and thats when the light went out.....I am thinking either a fuse blew or the solenoid blew...can anyone tell me where the fuses are on a 400? I am thinking maybe its a combination of the battery/solenoid or battery/fuse.

Thanks
-Justin

FoxRacing81
06-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Checked the fuse, it was blown! DOH! Put spare one in and it fired right up. It was definitly a combination of the battery and the fuse though...the old battery was completely shot.

Thanks for all your help guys!

-Justin

quading is fun
06-20-2005, 09:45 AM
haha thats good!!

greg_gorrell
06-20-2005, 09:47 PM
yeah man, at first it was your battery then your friend blew the fuse when he rigged the charger up to the solenoid.