PDA

View Full Version : urgent electrical problem HELP

moogie66
06-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Anyone please help
I have a electrical fault TRX450R
I have ne power for my lights, fan etc
The engine will still start and run and turn off at handlebar kill switch. The funny thing is when key is turned off, it has no effect engine still runs.
Is there a fuse, fuse link or something
This is bike we set up for racing and we removed lights, handlebar switch, temp light and fitted prodesign kill switch ( 1 wire to coil and other to earth )
we had no fan coming on when eng gets hot
We plugged in all components back and found no lights, power etc but eng runs
PLEASE HELP AS I DONT HAVE MANUAL
THANKS SHAUN

bbrad mulvey
06-17-2005, 08:44 PM
TO ME it sounds like the kill switch. Try and hook it up with one wire the the frame and the other wire up to the key. it to me sounds like you are in a closed loop(not sure if that is the right word) and the kill switch is keeping it running. that is what happened to me when I did it wrong too!

ml450r
06-19-2005, 07:44 AM
My bike did what you are talking about. The wiring harness coming to the key switch was bad. I cut the key off and crossed the proper wires. To fix it properly you would need a new key switch with the pigtail. You can check it by grounding the wire going to the thermostat housing while bike is running. The red temp light should come on. If it doesn't the grab the wiring harness by the key and twist it or bend it either direction and the light should come on(if this is the problem.)I have two 450r's so I just changed the key switch out and found the problem.

2004TRX450R
06-19-2005, 09:15 AM
You didn't unplug the key when you were messing with the wireing for the kill switch were you? If the key is unplugged it will run but you won't have any power going to your accessories such as the lights and fan.