PDA

View Full Version : shocks?

gpd005
06-17-2005, 02:10 PM
I have a 02 400ex and i'm looking at getting some shocks. I don't do a lot of mx mainly just woods. I wanted to get some advice on the Works compared to the Elka rec.s. Is it worth the extra money to go with the elka's? I have stock arms and i don't plan on going any wider. Let me know what you guys think.

D&M_Racing
06-20-2005, 12:20 AM
i have some elka non adj with rezzies for 500.00 + shippin OBO

D&M_Racing
06-20-2005, 12:21 AM
they are for an ltz400 and will fit a 400ex

TheFontMaster
06-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Elkas are a better shock that works, end of story, so if your budget alows it go with Elka. The Elka rec shock without rezzies is what you want to get, and if in the future you feel you need rezzies you can add them to the Elkas.

TRX_450
06-20-2005, 03:05 PM
wats up wit everybody not likin works shocks?....is there sujmthin rong wit em?

rmw7949
06-20-2005, 06:21 PM
YOU GET WHAT U PAY 4 when it comes to shocks. I`m not into bashin but.....Oh well they suck!! Just my $.02

TheFontMaster
06-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by TRX_450
wats up wit everybody not likin works shocks?....is there sujmthin rong wit em?

I have nothing against works, I have them on my 250r, but the Elka's are a much higher quality shock.

06-26-2005, 03:09 PM
The difference is that works and PEP frpnts use a check ball style valving where as the Elka, and Custom Axis use a shim style. I've ridden everything out there and I would recommend the Elka's for what you are wanting to do. You won't be dissapointed.

<DRS>GPF
06-27-2005, 04:21 PM
i posted this in another "shocks" thread..

"after trying both, and even recently having another go at each again (neither with rezzy's), i still like my works better.
they feel much more plush on landings and typical trails.

i dont race though, so that may change the perspective. on a smoother track elkas may be better for big landings, but they seem pretty stiff and noticably less forgiving on the trail.

my works are going back in to have the rezerviors added, which would be my only regret.. i shoulda got them to start.

spend the extra up front and get the added adjustment no matter which brand."

are the Elka's worth the extra $$?
not for me and my riding style.. (hard trails and moderate jumps)

i liken the argument to an "Intel vs AMD" a "token ring vs ethernet" or even "chevy vs ford" discussion.

my $0.02..

wilkin250r
06-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
"after trying both, and even recently having another go at each again (neither with rezzy's), i still like my works better.
they feel much more plush on landings and typical trails.

That can easily be fixed with setup. It sounds like your Elkas are set up too stiff.

Curless #32
06-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Just once I'd like to know exactly what everyone is comparing when comparing Works to Elka, PEP, Custom axis ect.. If you are comparing the Works A/T Steeler line to a triple rate Elka Elite the Elka damn well better be a superior shock.

I run the Black Widow shock from Works, my teammate runs Elka Elite. We both run well here in Michigan. We have both switched off quads to see what the other thinks. He is 50 pounds heavier than me so my quad feels a little stiff to him, likewise his feels too soft to me but we both agree thats the only thing. My Widows are a fine piece, I wish everyone who has ridden the older shocks would lay their opinions aside and try these new ones out. They are NOT the same old thing.

I, in no way am saying that the other shock guys don't make a good piece. I am merely stating my opinion based on my experience with Works new product line.

<DRS>GPF
06-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
That can easily be fixed with setup. It sounds like your Elkas are set up too stiff.

agreed, but both of us(my friend has the elka's) gave the exact same spec's to each of the mfr's. and mine came out of the box needing nothing.. and they feel great. i only want the rezzies for better rebound.
as far as the elka's, he's adjusted them to the limit, gotten new springs from elka and even bought different preload springs but still isnt getting the ride i get.

it may be that many people prefer a stiff ride, especially for the track but as mentioned before, my works feel better to him and me both on the trail.(as well as others who have ridden both of our quads, so its not just me..)

i will say that elka has had no problems helping out, so their service is stellar IMO. as of yet, ive not had the pleasure with my works, but id expect the same service.

just a cursory observation, of the many who own or have owned works shocks, no one is complaining about how they perform.
so with that body of evidence, or lack thereof to the contrary, i cant figure out why theyre bashed from so many.

also, of those that actually bash works shocks, theyve presented no evidence that the factory built shock is bad. i suspect that many base opinions on hearsay and possibly basing quality on cost.

rmw7949
06-27-2005, 09:22 PM
I had em on one of my bikes 2 seasons ago. I had about 15 hrs of ride time on em and could never get them 2 my likeing. Spent about $500 sending them in a couple times and it never made a differance. Now I am running Elkas and I'm very pleased w/them. Works just dont have the R&D to go w/their products. No racers use them so their left in the dust when it comes to feedback. Just my $.02. So I did own them and they still do suck so there you go. I would'nt bash something just because I've got nothing else 2 do.

<DRS>GPF
06-28-2005, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by rmw7949
I had em on one of my bikes 2 seasons ago. I had about 15 hrs of ride time on em and could never get them 2 my likeing. Spent about $500 sending them in a couple times and it never made a differance. Now I am running Elkas and I'm very pleased w/them. Works just dont have the R&D to go w/their products. No racers use them so their left in the dust when it comes to feedback. Just my $.02. So I did own them and they still do suck so there you go. I would'nt bash something just because I've got nothing else 2 do.

lol..
ok, so what model of shock did you buy, and what didnt you like about them. (just out of curiosity)

300ex73
06-28-2005, 06:28 AM
I used the Works AT Steelers with rezzies, dual rate springs. Even got them set up for a little heavier rider, but they were still too soft. And they were on the stock arms. Even if I adjusted the preload for the stiffest setting. I'm not saying that they sucked, but I really wasn't pleased with them.

I haven't gotten to ride on my front Elkas yet, but I really like my rear shock. So I can say that imo the rear shock was worth the money.

But, I called Burgard, and my arms should be here hopefulyl by the end of the week/sometime early next week. Then I'll definitely have some feedback for the fronts.

Nick110
06-28-2005, 07:59 AM
the old works, can snap springs. McNett shocks and welding a local company has many works springs that have snaped. he told me to go with pep,elka, or custon axis. and to stay away from works. jmo

06-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by D&M_Racing
i have some elka non adj with rezzies for 500.00 + shippin OBO

im sure u do...

i wouldnt mind selling a set of those used for $500 either, seeing as you can buy them new for that :rolleyes:

anyway get the elkas, the elkas are gonna be a lot better shock and if you ever decide to get a little more serious you can add the ressies and have a way better shock than works could ever offer you right off the bat, give Elka a call and speak to Yan, the number is 450-655-4855 tell him that Yurik Norton sent you up there for the non ressie front elka shocks for your bike, and see what kinda deal he can give you, then report back to us and tell us the price :macho

rmw7949
06-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
lol..
ok, so what model of shock did you buy, and what didnt you like about them. (just out of curiosity) They were pro series triple rate w/remote rezzies, comp/rebound adjustable. They were mounted on a set of Laeger L/T Arms.Adjustability was'nt very precise, the shocks never felt like they matched each other. They would loose the seals after about 5 hrs of track time. every time I sent them back all they could do was tell me how uncomon it was, they never had any awnsers 4 me. I went through this twice in a month and never once did they admit fualt or offer any compensation $wise. I should hve listened to my peers but went ahead and learned it the hard way! Works shocks are an improvement over stock. Are they anyway shape or form equal to the other shock co's? Hell no! Alot of personal opinion is lost in set up and peoples lack of knowledge in that department, but I feel my opinion is a pretty close to acurate one due to the fact that I do race moto and I do push my equitment to the edge. Works shocks may be good 4 the weekend warior, and may be an improvement over stock, but they are not as good of quality as Elka or Axis. Iam not a shock expert but I think that my opinion is not that uncommon. Just open your eyes and take alook around. But like I said thats just my $.02

<DRS>GPF
06-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by rmw7949
They were pro series triple rate w/remote rezzies, comp/rebound adjustable. They were mounted on a set of Laeger L/T Arms.Adjustability was'nt very precise, the shocks never felt like they matched each other. They would loose the seals after about 5 hrs of track time. every time I sent them back all they could do was tell me how uncomon it was, they never had any awnsers 4 me. I went through this twice in a month and never once did they admit fualt or offer any compensation $wise. I should hve listened to my peers but went ahead and learned it the hard way! Works shocks are an improvement over stock. Are they anyway shape or form equal to the other shock co's? Hell no! Alot of personal opinion is lost in set up and peoples lack of knowledge in that department, but I feel my opinion is a pretty close to acurate one due to the fact that I do race moto and I do push my equitment to the edge. Works shocks may be good 4 the weekend warior, and may be an improvement over stock, but they are not as good of quality as Elka or Axis. Iam not a shock expert but I think that my opinion is not that uncommon. Just open your eyes and take alook around. But like I said thats just my $.02

hmm.. i hope that if i have issues itll at least be better service.. the 5hrs before failure seems pretty bad.
other than "theyre just bad", did you ever get to the reason for failure?
ya know, its a poor craftsman who blames his tools..(lol.. just kidding)

i dont race, and as i noted above someone who's racing may have another opinion. im more of the "weekend warrior" you described, so i cant say that id be as harsh as someone who races. i just know what makes my arms feel better after a good 6 to 8 hr day of playing in the woods.

just so ya know, i wasnt trying to point a finger at you for your earlier comment, but if you look at the many threads of this particular question(and many they are..), youll see what i mean. there's lots of armchair advisors without any real opportunity to try either.

if i were to guess the future of the works shocks i own, id say theyll last the life of this quad and beyond. if not, ill be sure to let them and others know.

as far a looking around, like i said there's plenty of these threads and others like it. looking at sigs for many who list their add-ons and more, i see alot of works. (actually theres plenty of each)

my $0.03... (..inflation..)