PDA

View Full Version : K&N or UNI or TWIN AIR

HondaRacing23
06-16-2005, 08:35 PM
what do u people run a K&N or a UNI or Twin air. I was told that a K&N will runin your motor and it is the worst filter to use. I should i use something like a UNI. Is that true? I also heard that your not going to loose power if you have a K&N or not that they both run the same...

YFZ450Ridr
06-16-2005, 08:40 PM
explain to me how a K&N will ruin your motor, then ill believe you on that one..

but personally i like K&N the best out of all of those. they probablly all perform about the same, but k&n probablly better because its a mesh type filter, not foam.

hardkoratvmxr
06-16-2005, 08:42 PM
UNI

prepracing
06-16-2005, 09:15 PM
K & N gives more airflow than any foam filter, but of course with that your giving up some filtration. But if you clean them like your supposed to they will have more performance gains ( atleast they have thru my experience done better than UNI and white bros. power filter ). But mainly just another one of those whichever you like best personally deals.

FoxRacing81
06-16-2005, 09:41 PM
K&N's need constant cleaning. I guess it was partially my fault/K&Ns fault that my rings in my motor went bad. I guess I let it get too dirty and it leaned it out and ruined my rings. But...that was over a period of abotu 2 days...if you ask me..an air filter should go longer then 2 days without being cleaned. I wasn't riding a lot or hard either...just normal.

I ditched the K&N and went with a White Brothers Foam..no complaints so far.

-Justin

bonified5
06-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Ok its not like u will be able to feel an actual difference when u get a different filter. Just get what one u like.....no one will ever agree on 1 specific filter.

wheeliemaster
06-16-2005, 11:47 PM
i have ran uni and k&n and k&n is the only way to go.adds more throttle response and even if it gets dirty it's the easiest to clean bc all you have to do is spray purple power or some degreaser on it and wash it off and it is good to go again.i think k&n is the only filter to have a prefilter also and that helps alot with keeping your filter cleaner longer.

z400roosteR
06-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by MX610EX
K&N's need constant cleaning. I guess it was partially my fault/K&Ns fault that my rings in my motor went bad. I guess I let it get too dirty and it leaned it out and ruined my rings. But...that was over a period of abotu 2 days...if you ask me..an air filter should go longer then 2 days without being cleaned. I wasn't riding a lot or hard either...just normal.

-Justin

Heard of an outerwears?

HondaRacing23
06-17-2005, 05:54 AM
How often should you clean a K&N? I have heard of an outerwear and yes i even have one but it make my bike run the $hit and i took it off and it made it run a lot better COLBY told me it might run a little crappy with it on and take it off and if it runs better keep it off.

FoxRacing81
06-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by z400roosteR
Heard of an outerwears?

Had one on. Even had an Outerwears airbox lid cover on too.

bwamos
06-17-2005, 12:09 PM
FYI a dirty filter doesn't lean up your engine.. it makes it richer because it reduces your air flow.

I've been running a K&N filters on my 300/330ex for 7 years with no engine problems whatsoever.

Warnerade
06-17-2005, 12:13 PM
UNI in my opinion

Ginxd00
06-17-2005, 02:52 PM
I use a UNi now, I have a K&N also. I hit some soupy stuff at lightning raceway a month ago with the K&N with pre-filter and EHS lid and found a little bit of muddy water stains in the intake tube. I am sure no harm was done or would be done, but for me the Uni seems to be a better choice for my ridding conditions harescrambles and mx I didnt notice any loss in performance when I switched to the UNi.

06-17-2005, 03:51 PM
UNI for me..didn't see why I would want to spend extra $$$ on a K&N when it doesn't filter as much. as for power gains, a filter will not make a noticable difference

YFZracer#450
06-17-2005, 05:42 PM
I have a UNI and a Twin air for my YFZ's, and I love the filters! I will never run a K&N because of the stuff I have heard people say about them... JMO!

HondaRacing23
06-17-2005, 08:19 PM
What about a white brothers Power Filter will that work just as good.??? heres also a pic of my new frame...

bonified5
06-17-2005, 09:28 PM
your mom must love that sittin on her glass table!

400exredrider
06-17-2005, 11:51 PM
keep a K&N clean and use an outerware and you wont have anyproblems. you do notice a bit of difference with a filter on a built motor.

nowukno
06-18-2005, 12:06 AM
As long as you clean and oil your k&n every so often you will have no issues , i have a k&n with outerwear on my 450r and had one on my old 400ex and they worked awesome. Some people expect to buy an air filter and never clean/oil it and then complain how stuff got in there engine , like i said before just clean/oil properly and you will be very happy with a k&n. You will notice a very slight power increase but what do you expect out of an air filter , combine a pipe and jet kit and you will be very pleased with the results , but k&n does give the best gains.

nacs400ex
06-18-2005, 08:58 AM
I ran K&N on two of my quads 300ex and 400ex. However through my experience I found they do more trouble then good. They're more of a pain to wash, they let in more dust ( I had outerwears prefilter, and airbox cover), and the performance gain compared to a foam filter is UNnoticible while driving. I only run UNI now for obvious reasons.

quading is fun
06-18-2005, 10:09 AM
dont get a K&N, they let alot of dirt in, they r great for better air flow, but its too much air flow and dirt gets past it...

P.S. dont know if anyone else mentioned this cause i didnt read past the first post

1fastZ1slowridr
06-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by z400roosteR
Heard of an outerwears?

Even with an outerwear my k&n still got wicked dirty.

Uni's the best ive had

400exredrider
06-18-2005, 10:36 AM
alot of these are just Kids opinions, alot of them probably havent even had a first ahnd expirience with them, some did. If K&N had significant problems, they would not be still going strong today.ive torn down many engines that have ran K&Ns for a long time, ive found nothing that cause harm, piston or cylinder were never scored, no grit anywhere to be found in engine. alot of this is all opinion of defending of their product, thats why forums are going to give you alot of Biased BS. Foam filters work good if your going to be in alot of mud/water conditions, but anywhere else K&Ns are just great.

HondaRacing23
06-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Yea i do race harescambles and tend to be in mud and water more than anything. I do some MX but not very much.

HondaRacing23
06-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Yea moms pretty Pi$$ed about the frame on the glass table. She said you better get that damn thing off the table before it brakes. it is half together now should have it done by tomorrow.

raptorman2001
06-18-2005, 04:20 PM
i have ran k&n on everthing i have onwned quad,bikes,cars,streetbikes, they are the best and i owned them all around 3 yrs and never cleaned them once and it still ran like new

FoxRacing81
06-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by 400exredrider
alot of these are just Kids opinions, alot of them probably havent even had a first ahnd expirience with them, some did. If K&N had significant problems, they would not be still going strong today.ive torn down many engines that have ran K&Ns for a long time, ive found nothing that cause harm, piston or cylinder were never scored, no grit anywhere to be found in engine. alot of this is all opinion of defending of their product, thats why forums are going to give you alot of Biased BS. Foam filters work good if your going to be in alot of mud/water conditions, but anywhere else K&Ns are just great.

No sir...you are wrong...I have had a K&N Filter...I cleaned it very often....but man them filters were a ***** to clean and it wasn't even worth it yet. Foam is much easier to clean and stops a lot more dirt from entering your motor. I'm never using a K&N air filter on my quad again.

400exredrider
06-18-2005, 04:55 PM
i dont thinky they are hard to clean at all, spray the K&N cleaner on, take 3 min and take it under your faucet or hose, take your spray can and oil her red and let it sit for 20 min. simple. its nice to have a K&N and a Foam tho because you can have one clean and just constantly switch in and out. im glad you like youre foam, but K&Ns will not hurt your motor

FasstMidnightZ
06-19-2005, 09:40 PM
twin air all the way !!

MoToX199
06-20-2005, 07:54 AM
i agree with 400exrider hes defiantley rite,half you people are really lazy and expect to clean your airfliter like once and awhile,i have a k&n and there is nothing else out there that is better then it,if it let in dirt into the motor then i wouldnt be running it becuz i have a 6 thousand dollar motor that i cant aford to blow so thats why i only run K&N becuz its the best,all you have to do is just clean it alittle more aften and youll love it

HondaRacing23
06-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Will I loose power if I go to a white brothers power filter from a K&N will I notice any difference I have both so I can change at anytime. will i loose any power between the two...

xk47
06-20-2005, 09:06 PM
the differrence of these filter are barely noticable... even the can perform nearly the same, unless you see a dynotest of thse filters, you probably have more power gain by repalcing exhaust or a jet kit or even with a cam replacement. Keep your K&N and enjoy it, remember you have better then stock filter... dont forget to buy a cleaning kit for K&N filter. Hope it helps. I ran a K&N filter on a 1987 trx350 and his still alive after these years of services.

K&N filter are more known then any other brand... thats why they came to mind before others... it's like comparing tylenol and advils ;)

HondaRacing23
06-21-2005, 06:36 AM
so basicly running one or the other isnt going to really make a difference its just that K&N is better to use if you clean it about every ride or so. i have K&N cleaner and oil at work so ill use it there where its free soI dont have to buy any. =-) thanks for all your help...

quading is fun
06-21-2005, 07:49 AM
K&N's will probably work good if you clean it after every ride, or every-other ride, but i dont clean mine that often, so i had some problems... but its your desicion

blastereatin250
06-21-2005, 08:28 AM
it's like comparing Ford's:cool: and Chevy's:(

400exredrider
06-21-2005, 09:03 AM
only time id clean it right after you ride is if your riding on gravel alot or in gravel pits. otherwise if you ride hard for a few hours id say after every 5-7 rides 10-14 hours. or get an outerware and you wont ahve to do it as much.

quading is fun
06-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by blastereatin250
it's like comparing Ford's:cool: and Chevy's:(

yay ford!!!!!!

1fastZ1slowridr
06-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by quading is fun
yay ford!!!!!!

Damn right:D

HondaEXrider22
06-22-2005, 11:24 AM
How about twin air filters? Im getting one and I want to know how theycompare with kandn and uni.

FasstMidnightZ
06-22-2005, 03:24 PM
i have a twin air, and it works great, i also have my air box lid off tho ! i love the sound it makes

ohh and CHEVY is BETTER ! :macho

Shrk352
06-22-2005, 03:35 PM
I just intalled a twin air today it works good from what I can tell, im just woundering what the screen on the inside of the filter is for, do I need it or can I cut some of it away for better flow?

NacsMXer
06-22-2005, 04:11 PM
I ran a K&N ever since my quad was stock and I just recently switched to a UNI due to the K&N passing too much fine dirt. Ran it with an Outerwears on the filter as well as the airbox and cleaned and oiled it scrupulously after every ride.....still passed dirt.

For all you guys running a K&N, here's the test: spray some WD-40 on a paper towel and wipe the inside of your intake boot. Mine had brown grit all over it every time.

IMO, keep the K&N's to the dunes or street ONLY or you might be sorry. Nothing compares to the filtration ability of any type of foam filter in dusty conditions ;)

FasstMidnightZ
06-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Shrk352
I just intalled a twin air today it works good from what I can tell, im just woundering what the screen on the inside of the filter is for, do I need it or can I cut some of it away for better flow? i dunno, mine didnt come with a screen inside it, or are u talking about the metal thing that was with the stock filter, I duno what it does but thats good thinking cause it looks like it doesnt do much :ermm:

rwhitaker04
06-22-2005, 07:50 PM
hmm..this will never end..but ponder this idea...

K&N, UNI and TWIN AIR-
no noticiable increase in hp torque etc...
so u cant go by that..
but what u can do is...

same bang, less buck= UNI...all the way

i took my uni off the other day...i rode on railroad tracks for 2 8 hr days...with no rain..so very dusty..no a single trace of dirt in my air tube or inside of the filter for that matter...took her off...grabed some notoil and bam..ready to go in a couple of hours...UNI u cant go wrong...defiantly the best filter out on the market...imo as well as many others...hopefully u choose wisely and stay away from K&N(junk)

06-22-2005, 08:13 PM
K&N !

Sleeper
06-22-2005, 08:56 PM
The only bad thing I have heard about K&N is that it's fine in dry conditions but that water will bring dirt in with it. I trust the source completely so I am looking at making a baffled lid that makes water go to the bottom of the air box into a drain.

Sleeper

Shrk352
06-22-2005, 10:16 PM
yeah I was talking about the screen inside the stock filter, I put it in cause it plugs the hole on the end of the filter, can I take it out and just plug the hole with something?

raptorman2001
06-23-2005, 08:38 AM
no you have to have that screen

NacsMXer
06-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by hondaexrider
i dunno, mine didnt come with a screen inside it, or are u talking about the metal thing that was with the stock filter, I duno what it does but thats good thinking cause it looks like it doesnt do much :ermm:

It's just a skeleton for the foam filter so it doesn't collapse on itself when you're on the gas. Seems like the filter would be too flimsy without that screen to provide some type of internal structure :ermm:

wheeliemaster
06-25-2005, 12:23 AM
first off k&n is the only way to go, and it you drive a ford you are a idiot because you have to work on them all the time bc they keep breakin down bc there tryin to hang with chevs but IT WILL NEVER HAPEN.

P.S DOES YOUR FORD HAVE THE HEATED TAILGATE??????????

chevs all the way

quading is fun
06-25-2005, 10:10 AM
lol hahahaha i dare u to take my dad's 1997 F-350 and a chevy of equal size (it can even be brand new) and i want to hook the frames together... let's see what happens then, my dad's truck will rip a chevy in half (litterally, he's done it).... face the facts, ford is all around better....

NacsMXer
06-25-2005, 12:09 PM
I love all the guys that say they don't understand how a K&N isn't the best out there. I too, used to be an AVID K&N guy and like I said, I cleaned and oiled my filter after every trip to the MX track. The fact of the matter is that this filter passes fine dirt no matter what.

I challenge you to test how "well" your K&N works once again. Spray some WD-40 on a paper towel and wipe the inside of your intake boot. It should be ABSOLUTELY clean, if there's any dirt on there at all, then you will know that your K&N wasn't all that great afterall. Do this test and see what you come up with, if you don't and still think your K&N is the shizznit then you're just plain ignorant. This was the very way I found out K&N's are crap for anything besides the dunes or street. And I was running an Outerwears on the K&N as well as my airbox :o

UglyMotha™
06-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by MX610EX
I guess it was partially my fault/K&Ns fault that my rings in my motor went bad. I guess I let it get too dirty and it leaned it out and ruined my rings

ROFLMGDAO that was bout the funniest thing I read all day **wipes tear from eye** Leaned it out.....................LMAO, so um ya when you decrease your air flow it gets richer not leaner :rolleyes: so I guess if you don't know how a engine works your probably would have struggled with how a k&n works, yah I probably clean my K&N a whole 4 times a year and get more than 2 day outta my rings so i'm goin to have to call user error on your problem there buddy

UglyMotha™
06-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I challenge you to test how "well" your K&N works once again. Spray some WD-40 on a paper towel and wipe the inside of your intake boot. It should be ABSOLUTELY clean, if there's any dirt on there at all, then you will know that your K&N wasn't all that great afterall. Do this test and see what you come up with, if you don't and still think your K&N is the shizznit then you're just plain ignorant. This was the very way I found out K&N's are crap for anything besides the dunes or street. And I was running an Outerwears on the K&N as well as my airbox :o

yah, um so after 4 years of harsh abuse my engine couldn't be in better shape so whatever, you use what you wanna use and i'll use what I wanna use you guys all argue like a bunch of little school girls and none of ya'll are even hot :rolleyes:

quading is fun
06-25-2005, 01:44 PM
how about this, u choose whatever u want to use... its ur choice anyway, noone is making you use a certian thing

FoxRacing81
06-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
ROFLMGDAO that was bout the funniest thing I read all day **wipes tear from eye** Leaned it out.....................LMAO, so um ya when you decrease your air flow it gets richer not leaner :rolleyes: so I guess if you don't know how a engine works your probably would have struggled with how a k&n works, yah I probably clean my K&N a whole 4 times a year and get more than 2 day outta my rings so i'm goin to have to call user error on your problem there buddy

Meant to type riched. Woop dee doo. I made a mistake. I'm a failure at life...I think I'll go kill myself now.

I shoulda took a picture of what it looked like after 2 days of riding with an outerwear and outerwear lid cover.

Never made a mistake huh? Why can't we be perfect like you. I have no idea how an engine works in your eyes I guess. I'm glad your having such luck with your K&N...Mine sucked.

UglyMotha™
06-25-2005, 01:51 PM
yyyyyyaaaaaahhhhhh so um yah.............. ran a open aluminum airbox for 4 years :o

but i've got the special limited to one no dirt tolerance edition K&N

FoxRacing81
06-25-2005, 01:54 PM
yyyyyyaaaaaahhhhhh so um yah.............. ran a open aluminum airbox for 4 years :o

but i've got the special limited to one no dirt tolerance edition K&N

Sweet.:devil:

NacsMXer
06-25-2005, 08:21 PM
yah, um so after 4 years of harsh abuse my engine couldn't be in better shape so whatever, you use what you wanna use and i'll use what I wanna use you guys all argue like a bunch of little school girls and none of ya'll are even hot :rolleyes:

Dude, you seriously need to chill out. There's no need for name-calling and insults, just makes you look immature. Never did I say that using a K&N would blow your motor prematurely so I can care less if your motor ran fine for 4 years of harsh abuse. Guess what? So did mine, and I put the K&N on about two months after I bought my quad in 2000. My POINT was that I maintained the filter properly, yet I ALWAYS found brown grit in my intake boot. I'll take no dirt over dirt any day. The track I mostly ride at can be extremely dusty at times and the K&N just wasn't up to the challenge. Don't get me wrong, K&N makes an excellent filter but the fact of the matter is that a gauze filter element has less filtration ability than a foam filter element in the same dusty conditions. I can care less if the K&N flows more; my motor makes plenty of power. I just don't want to see ANY type of dirt in my intake boot I don't care who makes the filter :o

UglyMotha™
06-27-2005, 09:42 AM
oh that sucks................. no whining smilies to put up for you

Ridin' Jesse
06-27-2005, 10:00 AM
PRO DESIGN!