PDA

View Full Version : Jet Kit or No Jet Kit

HondaRacing23
06-16-2005, 08:13 PM
I am doing a complete makeover on myt 426EX. just got the frame back from being powder coated and everything else. i dont have a jet kit in my stock carb now and i cant afford to get an edlebrock or FCR and dont know if i should just run keihn jets or get a jet kit what would you guys do. im not running a K&N because I heard all the do is ruin your motor to use a UNI or someting else...

mstrav1
06-16-2005, 08:25 PM
just go buy the jets u need for $10. the dyno-jet kits are for morons. find somemone with a bike with similar mods and start with their jet sizes. then go up down from there!!! if you had a yfz450 / honda 450 /z400 / raptor I could tell you exact what you need

HondaRacing23
06-16-2005, 08:28 PM
thanks man

greg_gorrell
06-16-2005, 08:50 PM
yeah man, hes right, jets kits are a waste of money

bonified5
06-16-2005, 09:43 PM
there not a waste of money if u dont feel like taking apart the carb everytime u have to change a jet.

mstrav1
06-16-2005, 09:51 PM
to the last guy. you take the carb apart no matter if you have a jet kit or not to adjust for alltitude or temp or whatever. all a jet kit does is give you a handfull of jets you don't need. so i'm sorry to say you prob don't understand the question, but for $5 ea. you can buy the jets you need and you save money. most kits don't even give you a pilot jet anyways!!!

you understand now?

YOU SAVE MONEY AND BUY WHAT YOU NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!

HondaRacing23
06-17-2005, 05:56 AM
Yes i understand and hopefully he does too.:D I didnt pay anything for the jet kit so im not loosing no cash or anything. I have a brand new one for a 300ex and 400ex never used and my bike seems to be running okay with stock jets but didnt know if it would make any differecnce between the two. thanks why i ask the ? thanks

bonified5
06-17-2005, 09:35 PM
yea my bad i guess ure right, but if ure unexperienced with jetting u should get thekit just b/c it tells u exactly when u use each jet.

mstrav1
06-20-2005, 12:25 AM
thats what this and other web sites are for. "free information" . there are tons of people like myself that can get you the answers, email a copy of the one page sheet that comes in a jet kit, or just tell you what to buy. we are a team here. we all benefit from each others mistakes, and from what we learn. if you don't ask we can't help. it does get redundent on jetting questions, but i always give away my info as i learn it.

HondaRacing23
06-20-2005, 06:26 AM
i know how to jet the carb but i didnt know if it make a difference if you used one or the other

plkmonster2
06-20-2005, 11:09 PM
One more thing to add. With the jet kit, you can make more power, but the tuning becomes more erratic. Take this for example. I ride around 1200 or so feet at my house. I had my quad dialed witht he dynojet. It would rip. So 2 months later, I go to Sand Lake. There is anywhere from 0-500 or so ft elevation. I start to ride. I find this nasty lean bog on midrange. Well it turns out, my mid was lean, so I richen it up. Ran good then. When I got bak home, it was rich. It made me mad because I later went in the mountains, and it was rich, then normal, depending on the day and elevation. With the stock needle, I can run from 5000-0 elevation without noticing much.

mstrav1
06-20-2005, 11:36 PM
to the last guy:

you really confused me with your info but here it goes,

you go on line we tell you for "free" what to use. you then buy only those parts and your bike runs great. in addition so you are covered for these scenarios like you tried to explain, you by one jet 5 higher and one 5 lower then the dial in size and keep it in your bag and you are fine.

as far as how you describe higher altitude with a "lean" bog you are confused bud!!!!

higher altitude equals "thinner" air = too much fuel!!!!!
lower altitude equals "more" air = to much air!!! (this is what will blow a bike up)
so, if you set your bike up at sea level with your air box lid on you are good to 3000' . when you go above 3000' remove the lid and you are perfect!!!!! if you have jet probs in 500' intervals your jetting / needle are set wrong. i ride 0 - 3000' and haven't touched my jetting from day one. sea level (pismo( vegas (2300' and hot)

got it:cool:

please write it down

Rico
06-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Buy a jet kit and put it in your gear bag, that way no matter where you ride at, you have jets with you for all conditions.

Or spend 20 trips to the dealer to buy jets and fug with your quad the entire weekend. Oh and pray the stealership gives you the right ones or it'll be 30 trips instead of 20...LOL

I think Jet kits are worth the $$$$

plkmonster2
06-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by mstrav1
to the last guy:

you really confused me with your info but here it goes,

you go on line we tell you for "free" what to use. you then buy only those parts and your bike runs great. in addition so you are covered for these scenarios like you tried to explain, you by one jet 5 higher and one 5 lower then the dial in size and keep it in your bag and you are fine.

as far as how you describe higher altitude with a "lean" bog you are confused bud!!!!

Are you referring to me? I didn't notice where I said lean bog as I rose in elevation. As I got toward sea level, it got lean. Up in the mountains, it was rich. Also, I got the kit with my bike. The bike was all stock, but he gave me a ton of things he just bought. I decided to try it, and give it a chance. The needle seemed to be picky at what setting you have it at. Also, I ride in a lot of dust, and sand, so taking the lid off wasn't an option. I made a custom filter in my lid, and it works really nice with the 155 keihen jet.

bwamos
06-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Do they even make a "Jet Kit" for bored out engines? I've only seen them for stock engines w/ pipe & filter combos.

But, I haven't really looked since I do my own jetting.

Just curious.