PDA

View Full Version : switching to bikes?..?..?

roostin_dale
06-15-2005, 09:13 PM
ok, soo...how hard is it to get the hang of bikes? I have been racing for along time and riding since i was just a little guy if that makes a difference...I know alot of guys on here have switched to bikes in the past..

Just lookin for opinions or somethin.... i have just been gettin sick of quads lately and my mood isnt really changing....

JDiablo
06-15-2005, 09:15 PM
i say go for it if you really want to try something new

and btw...youh have to much money:devil:

roostin_dale
06-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
...youh have to much money:devil:

a bike will be cheaper than my quad moron, haha

hardkoratvmxr
06-15-2005, 09:19 PM
actually a bike will cost a lot if you get a new 250f or 450 they will cost bout 5-8 grand and your 450 might go for 9 and ahalf so you might want to check your options

JDiablo
06-15-2005, 09:20 PM
im talking about in general moronic idiot!:blah:

roostin_dale
06-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by hardkoratvmxr
actually a bike will cost a lot if you get a new 250f or 450 they will cost bout 5-8 grand and your 450 might go for 9 and ahalf so you might want to check your options

first off, i can get more than that for my quad...and well, i wont buy the bike brand new...

but anyways, forget the money options, i want opinions on the subject...

John, talk to me on aim whore:o

Mxjunkie
06-15-2005, 09:29 PM
I went from quads, to bikes. IMO the only fun I had on a bike was jumping, After catching my leg going in a turn a few times to many I dont want to blow out my knee, I like quads alot better but thats just me. If you can do both, I am planning on getting a 125 but I'm trying to stay away from them lol, bikes arent as much fun to mod and ride once you ride them afterawhile it gets kinda boring..

JDiablo
06-15-2005, 09:29 PM
hit me up on devilsfan12 tart bag,i dont feel like siging onto AIM,lol

Mxjunkie
06-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Also, I think dirtbikes are very easy to ride, too easy it was for me anyways, everyone that races is so good on dirtbikes its hard to even get top 5. But its all what you want to do, like I said if you can do both do it, because I know from experiance I cant give one up :o

06-15-2005, 09:37 PM
I wanted to switch to...to my friends cr around real quick and decided to keep my quad.

06-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
Also, I think dirtbikes are very easy to ride, too easy it was for me anyways, everyone that races is so good on dirtbikes its hard to even get top 5. But its all what you want to do, like I said if you can do both do it, because I know from experiance I cant give one up :o i race bikes and ride quads too, but im not old enough to race full size quads and am to big for blasters:mad: i ive been told getting sponsored is easier on bikes:confused: idk, i just got sponsored by alloy:D there big into sponsoring amatuers, so any amatuer racers send in an application;)

ex kid
06-15-2005, 10:16 PM
IMO, going from a quad to a bike is much harder than going from a bike to a quad. i started out on bikes and was pretty comfortable on a quad the first couple times i rode it. it all depends on how coordinated and ballzee you are or want to be.

trueblue450
06-15-2005, 11:09 PM
ive contemplated it many of times.. all my buddies ride bikes and i just wrecked my quad last season. i ride bike sometimes but quads are the best all around. the technology in your quad itself is just as good as a dbike so thats not a problem anymore. you wreck 10x more times learning a bike than you do a quad. everyone rides bikes and its always good to be diff. quad racing is just starting to get big. if youre good at it before 90% of the people out there than you will be big ****. you can be awesome at dbikes and no one cares because they have been big for so long. since my wreck i took off 6 months and that did a world of dif. im back and better than ever. if i were you i would consider buying a old used bike, but DO NOT sell the quad no matter what. you prolly just need a break! or do what i did and buy a crotch rocket and keep the quad. its great to mix things up!

06-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Im switching to a bike too. I'm still keeping my quad tho so I have a choice to what I feel like riding for the day. The main reason I'm switcing is because I've wanted a bike all my life, since I was like 7. But I got a quad instead, but now since I have a a job I'm going to do what I've always wanted to do. And, I rode my freinds KX85 in my local trails, and I fell in love with bikes...So I got a 125 coming pretty soon.

rippin2
06-16-2005, 09:31 AM
I ride both...dirtbikes are alot of fun to whip around and stuff but there limited to go places...quads can virtually go anywhere if you think about it and dirtbikes cant go threw woods unless u in 2 gear or u great at dodging rocks and trees...

Warnerade
06-16-2005, 09:34 AM
i rode both for about a couple months...i still would prefer a quad any day of the week...but riding a bike, it was a pretty fun change for a while. It was my friends, his 400ex broke and we were gonna buy his extra cr125 off him..and he was doing nothing but riding his kx125...and i was getting bored of not having another quad to ride with for a while, so i learned to ride bikes...it was pretty fun, you sure can go over whoops a lot better once you get your balance down..thats for sure.

roostin_dale
06-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by rippin2
...quads can virtually go anywhere if you think about it and dirtbikes cant go threw woods unless u in 2 gear or u great at dodging rocks and trees...

I ride strictly on MX tracks..

One_Bad_400
06-16-2005, 10:57 AM
well the only reason i havent switched from quads to bikes yet is bikes are simple.. they can practicly jump every jump at a track in like 2 or 3rd.. a 85 can jump just am much stuff as a 125... and a 125 jumps just as much as the 250... quads a just so much more or a chalenge...

for example... i brought my friend to my practic track in heber springs... and we have a 30ft. double... and before he even went down here and scoped it out, hehit it BACKWARDS... and then turned around and hit it forward, and got boreed of that jump just like that... and on a quad... i can hit a 30-40ft double all day and have fun learning new ways to jump it...

hessianmx111
06-16-2005, 12:39 PM
I ride a yz250f and love it, I have a 400ex that I'm trying to sell mainly because I have to pay off my truck and I don't ever ride it. Bikes have always been more fun for me to ride, alot of that has to do with them being so cheap to ride. You buy a bike and the only thing you really need to do to it is throw on a set of aluminum bars but now if you buy one brand new almost every bike comes with renthals straight off the showroom floor. Quads are expensive to make race ready and parts for them are generally more expensive. I would just rather ride my bike any day over my quad.

jvd182
06-16-2005, 12:52 PM
I started racing youth production, but i saw more potential in dirtbikes, mainly tracks around here are bikes only, and alot more poepl here ride dirtbikes, so it sucks when you have to watch sometimes. So i bought a used cr125. It is alot more of a challenge espically (typo) on a 125. I think if you could get a 250f and if you know people that can help you on your tecniques and stuff like that your should be just fine.

gpd005
06-16-2005, 01:10 PM
If you ride only MX your gonna be better off on a Dirt bike i would assume. It's getting harder and harder for people to let you ride on a motocross track if your on a quad. I use to race bike but now i am on a quad and i really like quads better. I feel more comfortable and confident. It's all a personal preference thing man. See if you can ride someones for a day and then see which one you like better. If i'm going to a track give me a bike, if i'm in the woods give me a quad. If i'm climbing hills, give me a cr500 with an extended swinger!

roostin_dale
06-16-2005, 02:39 PM
I cant remember the last time I WASNT on a MX track...and if im not on a track its usually wide fast trails...

Thanks for the comments guys..

hessianmx111..whats the best (in your opinion) 4-stroke 250? I was thinkin a Kawi but i have heard The yammis are good and to stay away from hondas?

Pappy
06-16-2005, 02:40 PM
bikes schmickes:o buy 1 and race both:devil:

Mxjunkie
06-16-2005, 02:41 PM
the 04 hondas had valve and cam I belive issues, I would go with the new honda or yamaha, the kawie and suzuki over heat, but I'm not sure if they fixed that problem yet or not.

lil400exman
06-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
I cant remember the last time I WASNT on a MX track...and if im not on a track its usually wide fast trails...

Thanks for the comments guys..

hessianmx111..whats the best (in your opinion) 4-stroke 250? I was thinkin a Kawi but i have heard The yammis are good and to stay away from hondas?

I have ridden a yzf250 and it is just magic. I still think a yz250 is just more fun to ride. a YZF just makes you lazy around the track whereas a 250 lets you really work it out whereas you just want to lug the 250 around.

also bikes are much faster overall than quads. You will find this out when you start to slow down!:eek2:

Hondadudeehhhh
06-16-2005, 03:01 PM
the 04 hondas had valve and cam I belive issues, I would go with the new honda or yamaha, the kawie and suzuki over heat, but I'm not sure if they fixed that problem yet or not.

that problem is really easy ot fix, i think its like 15 bucks for the new hoses.

Im at the same crossroads as you roostin dale because all my friends ride dirt bikes and im just getting sick of riding my wheeler.

Mxjunkie
06-16-2005, 03:11 PM
You know what sucks, when your tired of riding, and u want to go work on a jump and you have to hunt down a hill or a tree to put your bike on, That gets VERY annoying

That and your riding and you go to turn and you slide out, thats allways fun :ermm:

06-16-2005, 03:26 PM
imo dirtbikes are alot harder to ride fast, i think its alot easier to go fast on the 400 then my mx bikes,and quad flattrack is easy. im sure this wont go over well but w/e thats what i think....

jvd182
06-16-2005, 03:40 PM
If your buyin new, get a crf or a rmz if you want contingency money. Beside that i think there just hard to balacne after being used to a quad, begist diffrence when i first started was keeping it straight lol. Now its just corners. The new crf is suposed to be fixed

hessianmx111
06-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale

I would definately go with the yamaha, best reliability, best engine and all around package. Yamaha has been making high performance 4 stroke engines since 1998 with the yz400, they know their stuff. The Kawi/Suzuki's have some bad overheating problems. If you hae any more questions hit me up on aim-Thumperfmx111

hessianmx111
06-16-2005, 03:48 PM
You know what sucks, when your tired of riding, and u want to go work on a jump and you have to hunt down a hill or a tree to put your bike on, That gets VERY annoying

That and your riding and you go to turn and you slide out, thats allways fun :ermm:
Why search for a hill or a tree? Just turn your gas off and lay it on it's side. The sliding out thing really shouldn't be a huge problem once you learn how to corner and when to get on the gas and when to be on the brakes, how much throttle etc.

06-16-2005, 04:17 PM
im probably switching to a streetbike

06-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by hessianmx111
Why search for a hill or a tree? Just turn your gas off and lay it on it's side. The sliding out thing really shouldn't be a huge problem once you learn how to corner and when to get on the gas and when to be on the brakes, how much throttle etc. yea cornering should not be a problem if you have throttle control and a leg to put out:rolleyes:

Warnerade
06-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by aLLoY MX 428
yea cornering should not be a problem if you have throttle control and a leg to put out:rolleyes: that wont help slding out..that will just help you stay up...for a little extra support.

06-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
that wont help slding out..that will just help you stay up...for a little extra support. exactly, that will help you stay up so you wont slide out

Warnerade
06-16-2005, 06:18 PM
exactly, that will help you stay up so you wont slide out when i was riding bikes...if i was gonna dump it, putting my foot down only helped me stay up...bike still fell over.

06-16-2005, 06:24 PM
o, ic, i guess im just used to sliding racing flattrack,it is tricky to learn i suppose,but if u ride mx theres usually berms in all the corners, kinda hard for me, riding mx and FT, 2 completly different riding styles haha

trick450r
06-16-2005, 06:49 PM
i dunno...i just dont like bikes..and they are not that much faster than quads nemore anyway...at the southwick quad national last year jerimiah jones was putting out lap times 3 seconds slower then ricky charmicael was at the dirtbike national!!

Mxjunkie
06-16-2005, 06:54 PM
yea cornering should not be a problem if you have throttle control and a leg to put out:rolleyes:

yeah and have to get your knee rebuilt when your leg catches :ermm:

hessianmx111
06-16-2005, 07:07 PM
yeah and have to get your knee rebuilt when your leg catches :ermm:
When you corner you should have your foot extended past the forks and your foot parallel to the ground so if you do stick it down it should just slide. Also knee braces are super important especially if you have knee problems to begin with.

SRH
06-16-2005, 09:29 PM
i race bikes and ride quads too, but im not old enough to race full size quads and am to big for blasters:mad: i ive been told getting sponsored is easier on bikes:confused: idk, i just got sponsored by alloy:D there big into sponsoring amatuers, so any amatuer racers send in an application;)

getting sponsored is a pretty stupid reason to do anything unless there paying you...bikes you break bones, quads you break parts...easier to heal the quad

06-16-2005, 09:36 PM
i was just saying....every little bit helps when it comes to sponsors

roostin_dale
06-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
i dunno...i just dont like bikes..and they are not that much faster than quads nemore anyway...at the southwick quad national last year jerimiah jones was putting out lap times 3 seconds slower then ricky charmicael was at the dirtbike national!!

natalie was faster at gatorback this year and i believe echeconnee too...

06-16-2005, 10:42 PM
just curious, do quads do the same motos as bikes, 20 minutes plus 2 laps?

roostin_dale
06-16-2005, 10:50 PM
just curious, do quads do the same motos as bikes, 20 minutes plus 2 laps?

just the pros...and they go 20min + 1 lap