PDA

View Full Version : titanium springs and cam bearings

400ex99
05-27-2002, 03:04 AM
im going to order a 416 kit from Marcums, JE piston and a WB track cam, with this cam , Terry recommends stronger valve springs, im going to send him the jug to be bored and head to be port and polished.
My question is: is it easy enough for me to change out the valve springs and cam bearings? if im going to send the head anyway, should i let him change the valve springs and do i need a tool to get the cam bearings off? what do ya think?:(

05-27-2002, 04:52 AM
my bearings came right off when i pulled them, i don't know if that's normal or not. As for the springs, if you have a valve spring compressor it would be no problem.

crashinmatt
05-27-2002, 07:14 AM
im not trying to say anybodys wrong,but i have the WB track cam and in the paper that came with it, it says to use the stock springs. im sure u can get different springs but im not sure u need to

Leo
05-27-2002, 07:49 AM
The cam bearings should slip right off (mine did)..

If he's going to port+polish the head for you he's likely going to have to taket the valves out to do it.. That would probably be the best time to change the springs ;)

Leo

Smoker
05-27-2002, 08:37 AM
Here is a quote from Xr's Only that made me decide to put springs on when I build my topend and put a cam in.

"The hottest part of an engine is its cylinder head, where the valves operate. Being enclosed in an airtight chamber, they depend on oil circulation to carry off heat. Clean oil cools best (which is one reason why we recommend changing it every 200 miles), but at its cleanest is not an ideal coolant. Stock Honda valve springs work all right when your bike is new, but heat quickly anneals them, and they take a set. Softened springs let the valves bounce, which leads to mushrooming and tappet/cam lobe wear. Performance falls off dramatically. The cure for this common problem is better (not stiffer) valve springs. Our silicon-chrome wire springs are designed to provide superior heat resistance, therefore they perform better in high temperature conditions; and, in conjunction with stock or high performance cams, provide consistent valve movement which in turn increases power, eliminates float and reduces wear. XR's Only carries both R & D and Kibble White valve springs."

Juggalo
05-27-2002, 09:14 AM
i remember reading somwhere that titanium valve springs aren't good for anything but drag racing because they wear out too fast or somethin like that.