PDA

View Full Version : Help,I've got 400ex that keeping up with me

Dippy Dawg
06-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Yep, I couldn't believe it, A modified 400 ex runs neck and neck with my new stock 450r,the 400ex is piped and has a air box mod as near as I can tell.

We raced 4 times on a tar road and I get out of the hole about 2 lengths and from there we are dead even all the way to the top.

What are some quick mods I can do. I don't want to make it louder because I ride close to residential areas and want to keep my riding areas. Sound police are everywhere.

One other thing.. this quad has problems on hills with hanging up and spinning out.. whats the mod to fix this problem??My built 3wheeler (250r) zips right up the mountain sides on stock tires and I want my 450r to turn the same tricks!

see my dilemma? I want to kick the **** out of every 400 ex I come across in a straight line and I want to climb mount everest and I can't make no noise doing it..that and I have a 4 year warranty plan to protect..

help me

DH400EX
06-15-2005, 05:06 PM
go wit pipe, filter, and no airbox lid.

06-15-2005, 05:19 PM
learn to ride

phoneman409
06-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Ok first change your front sprocket to the CRF 13 tooth. That will get rid of that long first gear. Next change your pipe to the White Brothers E2 pipe. You can get different noise packing for it. Get the one that suits you best. Next change your air filter and remove your air box lid. I suggest K&N but the foam works just as well. You will need to do some jetting at that point. I can’t tell you what jets to use but if you look in the forum I’m sure that you can find the jetting that will work best for you area.

As for the hill climb my quad never had any problem even stock? Maybe play with the shock settings?

dtmichau
06-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Wow, no way will a 400 ex keep up with a stock 450r, even piped, jetted, and air filter. It would keep up better than stock but it wouldnt keep up. The 450r walks away from the Z400's and a piped 400ex has comparible power to a stock Z, maybe a lil more. But still man, your 450 should be walking away from it without a prob.

Dippy Dawg
06-15-2005, 07:38 PM
ok, i'm going to be a pain in the *** and say that i like the gearing and refuse to sacrifice anymore top end..

It looks like I need a pipe and air intake mod,

As far as the learn how to ride?? You gotta be kidding.

Oh yeah, when i say hill problem I'm talking about a climb problem. A 200 foot cliff that gets nailed at 50 mph at the bottom and goes straight up and you just pluck at the gear box and work your way up. It's these damn rain ruts at the top that are stopping me in my tracks casue that plastic skid plate grabs dirt. I tried to loosen the front end up a bit so i could more easily rock the quad and get traction but I still get emabarrased??

But,,your saying that YES a properly set up 400ex will or can run neck and neck with a box stock 450r??

JRP
06-15-2005, 07:41 PM
I raced my friends piped, jetted, 400ex and whooped it by a good 8-10 quad lengths. I wouldnt think you would have a hard time.

Dippy Dawg
06-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by JRP
I raced my friends piped, jetted, 400ex and whooped it by a good 8-10 quad lengths. I wouldnt think you would have a hard time.

Thats what I wanted to see and expected a few lengths but Didn't happen.

and I test rode a yfz and a black 05 450r back and back at the dealer and chose a red one and am sure mine is in the ball park. It's not like I got a soft one or something

Maybe this 400 ex ithats giving me a headache is more set up then I think,, I know the owner is a quad tech and has it together.

TURBO-530R
06-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by dtmichau
Wow, no way will a 400 ex keep up with a stock 450r, even piped, jetted, and air filter. It would keep up better than stock but it wouldnt keep up. The 450r walks away from the Z400's and a piped 400ex has comparible power to a stock Z, maybe a lil more. But still man, your 450 should be walking away from it without a prob.

My ex will. He He He !

Prey
06-15-2005, 08:19 PM
hey 530, do you run your bike down at MIR?

TURBO-530R
06-15-2005, 08:22 PM
last year i did and won the chanpionship

Dippy Dawg
06-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by TURBO-530R
My ex will. He He He !

That 400 ex motor islike the old 350 x engine I think. It has the dual header pipes coming out and it aint no joke in good hands they fly.
I see you have extensively modded yours,though!!!!! i don't think I'm up against a beast like yours.. I'm going to try the simple mods on my 450 and see what happens:muscle:

cals400ex
06-16-2005, 01:19 AM
well i came off a built 400ex to a 450r. first things first i figured. i HAD to see how these two bikes performed against each other. it turns out the 400ex was pretty easily beating the stock 450r. my 426 ran about 3 bike lengths in front of a bone stock 450r. i then added the full hrc kit to the 450r. it ran better but i still wasn't really really impressed. i then added a full pipe. now the difference is adding up. that pipe and cam added so much low end power over the stock bike. the power added wasn't just low end. it starts at low rpms in 1st gear and goes all the way through 5th. my 426 wouldn't touch this bike now. however, i don't want people under estimating the 400ex (when built properly). my buddies 416 runs about 1/2 a bike length of stock 450r's. with a cam, full pipe, air box mods, and jets those 400ex's won't have a chance unless they are heavily built.

Jonas
06-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Dawg, a built 440ex will easily run with a stock 450r. He most likely has the motor built and not telling you. Also, if there is any weight difference between you two then that make a huge difference. About 7lbs per horse in my estimation.

devil6
06-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by dtmichau
Wow, no way will a 400 ex keep up with a stock 450r, even piped, jetted, and air filter. It would keep up better than stock but it wouldnt keep up. The 450r walks away from the Z400's and a piped 400ex has comparible power to a stock Z, maybe a lil more. But still man, your 450 should be walking away from it without a prob. I have a good friend that has a 400ex that walks banshee's on a regular basis, and a suzuki that does the same, but with a few more ponies. I think the 400ex is around 43 hp and the zuki is 45. They arent close to stock,. but they afe still stock cylinder, overbored machines. one is a 430 i think and the zuki a 439 or whatever those guys run. Just a few simple mods, some porting by the owner, and his own pipe design (pulsecharger), and they both do it at 96db, spark arrested on the beach, with no looks from the DNR. Boy it's fun to watch the look on guys faces when they think they are just gonna kill these typically slow bikes, and they get walked. LOL, one guy on a banshee kept comin back and gettin madder and madder, he never did get around the honda, and that's the slower of the 2.
He left finally, not to happy.

kssandduner
06-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Dawg, a built 440ex will easily run with a stock 450r. He most likely has the motor built and not telling you
I agree 100%!! I watched a 440ex at the sand dunes over memorial weekend repeatedly stomp yamaha and honda 450's, and not the stock ones either, the yamahas had pipes and more. It was awesome watching that 400ex run.

Joe