PDA

View Full Version : Race fuels, race gas topic

bbrad mulvey
06-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Lets make this a little easier to find by using four letters in the gas;)

Ok I am trying to figure out what is going to be the best race fuel to run in my machine. I went over to trx450or and found this

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9543

And realized that we need a good topic of fuels to use in our machines and aditives for the top end that keep the engine from looking like that.

Companies out there that sell the fuel consist of

VP http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html?mgiToken=D031D802751904349

Sunoco http://racegas.com/specialtyfuels/default.asp

Renegade http://www.renegadepro1.com/racing_fuels.html

Klotz http://www.klotzlube.com/storeCats.asp?ci=4

Trick http://www.cosbyoil.com/racing.htm

these are all race fuel companies that carry a leaded fuel. I have personally ran the VP U4, VP C12 and right now I am finsihing up my last little bit of Renagade pro 110. THe Renagade I am using is junk I think. THere is no "performance smell" to it. Infact the smell is just barely sweeter than a 92 pump octane. I really Liked the U4! it seemed to run the best in my machine before I put a 14:1 piston in it. I havent tried it yet. C12 made a nice improvement in power as well and has a little more octane(108) than the U4(92)

So I would like to know what would be the best fuel to run in my machine?

Feedback on what you have run would be great also!

Compression ratios, mixes anything else about what makes your fuel decision what be great!

ex kid
06-15-2005, 10:11 PM
a friend of mine uses Torco 110 leaded and says the power difference is pretty noticeable. he says it seems to run a little cooler as well.

serpent
06-16-2005, 06:47 AM
i have 11.1 piston and i run whith sunoco 100 octane and is a big diference in performance more power and much cooler

wicked400man
06-17-2005, 03:07 PM
go with the c12, you will not beleive how much cooler your bike will run, pretty nice power gains, and i like the smell the best :chinese:

nakomis0
06-17-2005, 03:50 PM
I run Torco or Turbo Blue just cause its so readly avalible around here.

FoxMxRiders
06-17-2005, 04:28 PM
what do you think about Klotz Racing Gaz?!?

With a 11:1 Wiseco piston and a Xr400 gasket do you think that I will need to run race fuel??Maybe the pump fuel (92octane) will do the job?? or a mix of the 2?!?

Thanks

DGR
06-17-2005, 05:42 PM
what about VP red ??

roostin_dale
06-17-2005, 05:54 PM
I have ran VP C12 for the past 2 years in my TC built 450r and my other quads with built motors..(every once in awhile sunoco)....But i love the VP gas, I usually buy the 55 gallon drums of VP C12

bbrad mulvey
06-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey roostin what is it costing you for a drum of that stuff in your area? I looked into a drum of U4 and it was gonna set me back about 550 with the pump and 30 bucks to ship it here...Sounded kinda high to me:mad:

roostin_dale
06-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by bbrad mulvey
Hey roostin what is it costing you for a drum of that stuff in your area? I looked into a drum of U4 and it was gonna set me back about 550 with the pump and 30 bucks to ship it here...Sounded kinda high to me:mad:

wow man, thats expensive, a race car shop a few miles away sells them for like $340 and $12 for a pump... equals out like $6 a gallon...

FoxMxRiders
06-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by FoxMxRiders
what do you think about Klotz Racing Gaz?!?

With a 11:1 Wiseco piston and a Xr400 gasket do you think that I will need to run race fuel??Maybe the pump fuel (92octane) will do the job?? or a mix of the 2?!?

Thanks

Anyone have feedbacks?

roostin_dale
06-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by FoxMxRiders
Anyone have feedbacks?

I use to run Klotz, very good gas actually.

With 11:1 you can probably run 92-95...I would run around 100 personally just because i am picky. I wouldnt go and mix race/pump, im not a big fan of mixing gas either..

bbrad mulvey
06-20-2005, 05:38 AM
Ok I finally had the chance to use the VP U4 in my motor this weekend. There is a HUGE difference between an oxy fuel and non-oxy fuel! I was working on a small double that was about 20 ft and I started off using my Renegade Pro 110 and I kept cliping my rear tire on the double. Then I ran that out of my tank and went back and filled up with the U4 and came back to the same jump and same gear and was over shooting the jump. You had to some off of the back side of a step down then jump off of that and into a double then a 180 degree burm RIGHT after the double.
So with that said I do not have anything bad to say about the VP U4 it is the shizz!

rmw7949
06-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Whats up guys. Use to run a 440ex and ran Unocals 100 oct pump gas. I just got my 450r and am busted right now just tryin to get the suspension done, so no motor mods yet just Sparks pipe and K&N W/adequate jetting. What fuel can I safely run without puttin a hurrtin on my motor. I`ve ran VP c12 in Drag bikes and messed around w/ methanol a bit, but never any o2 fuels. Not sure whats my safest route. Any info would be great.

rmw7949
06-21-2005, 04:46 PM
this post is a little old. didnt know if anybody seen it?

bbrad mulvey
06-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Its old by I kinda intended for it to be updated with peoples different likes and dislikes about fuels in our machines. Research after research has proven time and time again that in a stock motor that the VP U4 can produce up to 6 extra horses. In most cases it is right around 4hp. Like I had mentioned before I used it before, then I switched to a non oxy fuel that was 110 octane so I could fire my 14:1 piston and sleep at night. So this last time that I got gas I filled up with the good ole U4 andwhile at the track I went from having what was left in the tank and emptying it out to putting the U4 in just moments later. The power increase so so UNBELIEVABLE that I wouldnt have believed it unless I had done it!So my vote is on any oxy fuel, whether it be a VP or a Sunoco.

I hope that answered your question

duke416ex
06-22-2005, 10:23 AM
So, how do you tell if a fuel is oxy, or non oxy?

bbrad mulvey
06-22-2005, 12:18 PM
oxy means that the fuel has oxygen in it. Not all fuel has this as much as like the U4. Now the thing to take to mind is that with the oxy fuels you can get away with running a lesser octane than a regular leaded fuel with not as much oxy. Like when you go to the VP website it says that the U4 gas is only 92 octane(yet the place where I buy it from say it is 98 octane) it performs better than the 110 leaded race gas that I used before.

bbrad mulvey
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention that is will say if it is an oxygenated gas or not when you purchase it

duke416ex
06-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Ok, what did I miss, why are you orunning leaded fuels, b/c you have such a high compression ratio or what?

bbrad mulvey
06-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Ok the main difference between a leaded fuel and an unleaded fuel is that a leaded fuel lubricates about the piston as where an unleaded does not. SO that is why they do not sell unleaded at the pumps anymore because they have more polution. Now the reason you want to run a leaded over and unleaded in a powersport i.e. quad, dirtbike, snowmobile, wave runner, is because they spin WAY higher RPMs than a street driven vehicle, so with the leaded lubricating the top end durring higher RPMs it makes for a longer lasting motor. The reason I know this is because if I am going to want to start a thread I needed to do my research. I cant tell you the chemical breakdown of the fuel but I am just trying to help people out with fuel since there is so many differnt options these days;)

duke416ex
06-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Understandable about the reseach, if you really want the molecular make-up of fuel I can go through my organic chemistry notes and find it, but I don't think it is that important for the thread. It was just one of those classes I had to take in college. I will try to search a little more on the vp website, I don't want to run leaded gas, but I probably need to go to a higher octane. I did notice that some of the oxy gases they had contained ethanol, that is good for someone in my area of work(agriculture).
I was going to just get 110, but I may look more in to the vp gas now. I am not going to run it straight, I will mix it with 93 octane, and don't flame me for mixing gas, I just don't think that I need that high of an octane in my quad.

bbrad mulvey
06-22-2005, 02:12 PM
No its all good:D I will even thin mine out a little too I think. But there is nothing wrong with a leaded gas in a powersport, it is a better route to go than unleaded I think... But yes check out VP they have a great site to.

rmw7949
06-22-2005, 03:27 PM
I've heard the leaded fuels can be hard on titanium valves? Any weight to that?

bbrad mulvey
06-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Hmmm, I havent heard that one yet but I guess it could be possible, hard to really say though. I could tell you the end of next summer as I will installing them in my head. But I cant say anything to that...sorry