PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP really unstable...

Ralph
06-14-2005, 08:42 PM
I just switched from windows 2000 to xp and im having some problems and im not really too hapyp with it. Is there anything i can do about programs being really unrealiable and crashing??? The one im having main trouble with it Mozilla Firefox and ive never had this trouble before. Im all up to date on the updates and im running out of things to do.

Hondadudeehhhh
06-14-2005, 09:23 PM
i have firefox and it works great on my xp :confused: i wish i was a computer nerd i dont really know anything

AlbaKFX
06-14-2005, 10:28 PM
You may be too low on memory to be running XP. What are the specs of your computer Ralph?

Pman485
06-14-2005, 10:31 PM
It all depends on how old your computer is.

gojk
06-14-2005, 10:35 PM
You may need to get, if available, XP drivers for all of the devices in the system. XP is really good about finding drivers for things, but if it is an old machine it prob won't find much for it. Also, have you ran windows update since you loaded XP on it. I would run windows update and install any and all critical updates. If you have never done this, it could take a while because the service packs take a long time to DL and install.

Fender Bender
06-15-2005, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by aLLoY MX 428
why the f*uck would u want to be a computer nerd:huh

Someone has to hire undereducated people like you.

Originally posted by Ralph
I just switched from windows 2000 to xp and im having some problems and im not really too hapyp with it. Is there anything i can do about programs being really unrealiable and crashing??? The one im having main trouble with it Mozilla Firefox and ive never had this trouble before. Im all up to date on the updates and im running out of things to do.

Did you update from Windows 2000 or did you format and do a clean install? If you didn't do a clean install, I would recommend you backup everything you want and reformat the right way. The first thing you want to do after you reformat is install service pack 2, before EVERYTHING. Then you can install your security programs. And I also wouldn't worry about Windows Updates, as long as your behind a firewall, and you have up-to-date anti-spyware and anti-virus programs, you should be fine. That is what I do, and should I have a problem, I will get the appropriate update.

06-15-2005, 10:37 AM
i think all it needs is some more cowbell.. yea.. thats it.. MORE COWBELL!!!

Jesse

red2004 TRX450R
06-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by gojk
You may need to get, if available, XP drivers for all of the devices in the system. XP is really good about finding drivers for things, but if it is an old machine it prob won't find much for it. Also, have you ran windows update since you loaded XP on it. I would run windows update and install any and all critical updates. If you have never done this, it could take a while because the service packs take a long time to DL and install.

Originally posted by Fender Bender
Did you update from Windows 2000 or did you format and do a clean install? If you didn't do a clean install, I would recommend you backup everything you want and reformat the right way. The first thing you want to do after you reformat is install service pack 2, before EVERYTHING.

what they said!!!! :D

and get more ram, more ram is allway a good thing!!!

gojk
06-15-2005, 02:10 PM

Did you update from Windows 2000 or did you format and do a clean install? If you didn't do a clean install, I would recommend you backup everything you want and reformat the right way. The first thing you want to do after you reformat is install service pack 2, before EVERYTHING. Then you can install your security programs. And I also wouldn't worry about Windows Updates, as long as your behind a firewall, and you have up-to-date anti-spyware and anti-virus programs, you should be fine. That is what I do, and should I have a problem, I will get the appropriate update.

I told him to get the updates specifically to get the service packs.;) Most people don't know how to get them any other way.

Ralph
06-15-2005, 02:14 PM
everything is relatively new, i just built it a few months ago. its got 512kb of memory and im planning to add another G. the processor is like 3 ghz or whatever and has hyperthreading and what not.

gojk
06-15-2005, 02:18 PM
everything is relatively new, i just built it a few months ago. its got 512kb of memory and im planning to add another G. the processor is like 3 ghz or whatever and has hyperthreading and what not.

Was the install an "upgrade" version of XP or the full version? Also is it home or pro?

huffdaddy_400EX
06-15-2005, 02:19 PM

1. Is it XP Home or XP Professional?

2. Go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer. Look under the "Source" column for Mozilla/Firefox. Looks for any entry that contains a RED X. Double click on that entry. What does the error description say?

huffdaddy_400EX
06-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by huffdaddy_400EX
1. Is it XP Home or XP Professional?

2. Go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer. Look under the "Source" column for Mozilla/Firefox. Looks for any entry that contains a RED X. Double click on that entry. What does the error description say?

Under "source" look for entries like:

Application Error
Application Hang

Warnerade
06-15-2005, 02:23 PM
maybe his problem is it was a bootlegged copy?

Fender Bender
06-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
maybe his problem is it was a bootlegged copy?

Hmm...no problems here :blah:

06-15-2005, 04:32 PM
im not undereducated, infact im only 13 oh, and i get straight A's and am in honors english, history and algebra 2 :rolleyes:

Ralph
06-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Its not a bootleg copy, its the pro corporate copy from a huge dealership in the city. sorry but no.

I did a clean install on a formated hdd. I did all the updates. sp2 etc..

and there are several red x's for firefox and it says application hang.

more info on my comp, pentium 4 cpu 3.00 ghz, 504mb of ram

huffdaddy_400EX
06-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Its not a bootleg copy, its the pro corporate copy from a huge dealership in the city. sorry but no.

I did a clean install on a formated hdd. I did all the updates. sp2 etc..

and there are several red x's for firefox and it says application hang.

more info on my comp, pentium 4 cpu 3.00 ghz, 504mb of ram

The HW is not the issue.

What version of Firefox is it? v1.0.4? If not, I would install the latest version. Sounds like the OS and the application may be trying to access the same memory space. If you install/reinstall firefox and it still occurs in the OS and not the application that is doing it.

Note: if you do want to do a reinstall I would remove the old copy first, then do a fresh install.

EvilJester400EX
06-15-2005, 06:10 PM
im not undereducated, infact im only 13 oh, and i get straight A's and am in honors english, history and algebra 2 :rolleyes:

LMAO what a bish.

As though we care? Would you like a virtual pat on the back?

Warnerade
06-15-2005, 07:19 PM
im not undereducated, infact im only 13 oh, and i get straight A's and am in honors english, history and algebra 2 :rolleyes: GEEK!

DeerNuts
06-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX

As though we care? Would you like a virtual pat on the back?

Good one:p

06-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
GEEK! a geek sponsored by alloy,oakley and cycra:rolleyes:

Fender Bender
06-15-2005, 10:08 PM
a geek sponsored by alloy,oakley and cycra:rolleyes:

Once again, you go on bragging about things NOBODY CARES ABOUT. Do yourself a favor and prevent further embarassment, and leave. Thanks. I'm sure Ralph would appreciate you not whoring his thread, so if you have a problem with me or anyone else you can feel free to PM. ;)

06-15-2005, 10:10 PM
no problem, i just dont appriciate being called stupid and a geek, when im really not

Warnerade
06-15-2005, 10:15 PM
no problem, i just dont appriciate being called stupid and a geek, when im really not NERD

Ralph
06-16-2005, 11:17 AM
i think ive gotten all that i could out of this thread