PDA

View Full Version : The Deadliest Catch

spudss
06-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Has anyone watched this show on Discovery Channel?? I watched the Acillio Crab Season Episode and The Boat the Northwestern Deck Hands walked away with $27,000 a piece for 5 Days of Crab fishing.. HOLY ****.. That is some serious cash for 5 day.. (5 days of hard *** work at that) That is still some crazy money.. The last place boat paid there deck hands $10,000 a piece..

2002400ex
06-14-2005, 07:59 PM
...But about 10 people die every day crab fishing

hardkoratvmxr
06-14-2005, 08:00 PM
i been watchin it and damn looks like hard a** work

Pman485
06-14-2005, 08:02 PM
It jsut ended a half hour ago. Those guys have balls man.

TheX1992
06-14-2005, 08:11 PM
You also hear them talking about 2nd jobs though. That $10,000-$30,000 is only what, once or twice a year? Most of us make about that right now, they just get it in lump sums.

sampleez
06-14-2005, 08:13 PM
it said on the show 6 people died this year. and seeing some of the stuff they do, it's surprising that there isn't a bunch more. they're definately hard core!!

Hondadudeehhhh
06-14-2005, 08:14 PM
my uncle's friends are millionares now because of fishing. They leave right after high school and go straight to alaska and do these fishing things for a couple years, save their money and buy their own boats. Now they are loaded!

2004exrider
06-14-2005, 08:39 PM
sounds like a good show, sorry if i sound dumb but what is the dangerous part that kills them?

enduro400rider
06-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
sounds like a good show, sorry if i sound dumb but what is the dangerous part that kills them?

its some seriously ruff seas, man and the big stuff on deck on the boats people go over board and get hurt or killed by stuff moving around on deck. that shows pretty sweet. man they make good money in a short time but they work like hell and get hardly any sleep. good way to make quick money i would think about doin it but the beginners or " green horns " make hardly any money the first few times like 1000 bucks or so when the rest are walkin away with alot more and they did the same work, i guess you just gotta prove yourself before you get anything outta it

lol
06-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider

the elements are sooooo tough that the fishermen get sweeped off the boat by waves, get wrapped in ropes and get pulled under, and other accidents occur on the boat, overnight tuna trips in rough seas are enough for me i dno about that.......most people dont realize how demanding work on the ocean and living on a boat can me

TheFontMaster
06-14-2005, 09:11 PM
I been watching that all seson that show is awsome. You can't forget about the freezing water that can kill you in less than 10 minutes. Ya gotta give them props for doing that.

I love crab:blah:

Hondadudeehhhh
06-14-2005, 09:16 PM
didnt 5 guys die on the first episode? its pretty insane. discovery channell has some pretty sweet shows

400exrules
06-14-2005, 09:18 PM
thats what i want to do...well not that exactly, but i wanna find some high paying job thats high paying, because no one else wants to do it, or their scared to, or its dangerous.

Pappy
06-14-2005, 09:30 PM
i just watched it to see who would fall overboard:chinese:

MichaelS693
06-14-2005, 09:37 PM
actually i know yall are gonna rag me about this but,, i would actually love to be out there doing that.... i have no problem working that much and hard and the MONEY!! but the main reason is i will be around the sea and i love the sea... i would love to do it... thank you for you time:D

Tommy 17
06-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by MichaelS693
actually i know yall are gonna rag me about this but,, i would actually love to be out there doing that.... i have no problem working that much and hard and the MONEY!! but the main reason is i will be around the sea and i love the sea... i would love to do it... thank you for you time:D

we couldn't get that lucky to have u drown out there:p :blah: :macho

it a ok show... i just don't get why they don't put GPS systems on all themembers so its easy to find them when they go overboard...

Pman485
06-14-2005, 10:43 PM
The weather channel just showed a storm story on those fishermen, and how a ship full of 20 people, fifteen miles from land sank during a storm, and only two survived only by being dragged unconsious to land by currents. A man found them laying on the beach and called 911, and saved their lives.

Metzroth
06-14-2005, 11:07 PM
The last episode was all about that style of fishing coming to an end. It wont be as easy to just go get a job on a crab fishing boat and make quick cash anymore. There will be alot less jobs for deckhands offered now according to one of the captains or whatever. Just know i heard them say that there wont be any competition for how much money you make anymore. Just a set amount.

MR.BIG
06-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Metzroth
The last episode was all about that style of fishing coming to an end. It wont be as easy to just go get a job on a crab fishing boat and make quick cash anymore. There will be alot less jobs for deckhands offered now according to one of the captains or whatever. Just know i heard them say that there wont be any competition for how much money you make anymore. Just a set amount.

Yeah I heard that too. I give those guys props because that is a dangerous job plus you lack sleep one mistake and your pretty much dead. Crablegs rule!

red2004 TRX450R
06-16-2005, 02:34 PM
one of my frends did it for 3 years and will never go back!!

he said three years is way to long!!

He only spent 4 months total out on the boat the rest he spent on land.

He also did bear guides in Alaska for the tourist coming off the cruseships!!

400grl
06-16-2005, 04:15 PM
I love that show.....Discovery Channel is the ****......I had friends in college who did the crab boat thing....they'd make so much money in a week it was sick.......paid for their beer for a year! :)

JDiablo
06-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
we couldn't get that lucky to have u drown out there:p :blah: :macho

it a ok show... i just don't get why they don't put GPS systems on all themembers so its easy to find them when they go overboard...

exactly,or some kind of tracking device :rolleyes:

oldsandman
06-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
exactly,or some kind of tracking device :rolleyes:

They have them it's called an EPIRB both for the vessal and person. I've fished with a friend that's a commercial fisherman in Hawaii. The personal EPIRB's were a pita to wear all the time so most guys don't wear them. You just figure that if somthing happens you'll make the liferaft with the vessels EPIRB.

lol
06-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by oldsandman
They have them it's called an EPIRB both for the vessal and person. I've fished with a friend that's a commercial fisherman in Hawaii. The personal EPIRB's were a pita to wear all the time so most guys don't wear them. You just figure that if somthing happens you'll make the liferaft with the vessels EPIRB.

that and they happen to be a little bit pricey

exrider123
06-16-2005, 09:44 PM
When somebody goes over it's plotted right on the GPS system in the pilot house the only problem with this is you try turning around a 100 foot long crabbing vessel in the middle of the Bearing sea with 35-40 foot waves breaking over your bow, not to mention actually being able to see and find the person would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack and finding them alive or in the minutes after they go over before the artic water takes them is near impossible. Plotting the location will just pretty much give them a search area to work with.

To answer your question Yes, they do have a GPS tracking system on them like stated before an E.P.I.R.B or Emergency position indicating radio beacon. This can cost from $300-$2000 so like stated before there not cheap but out there it’s a necessity, would you really want to put a price on your survival or more likely your body being found. The problem with them is that they are located only on the vessel, life boat, and survival suit. Although you may say than why the hell don't they where the suits it is because they are very restrictive and bulky, which when you're throwing around 100 pound crab pots you want nothing of and wearing them would be more dangerous and a higher chance of something going wrong with them on than going overboard after not having it on.

P.S. The Northwestern who had the most crab caught out of the fishing fleet not only got the money from what they caught but the discovery channel gave them $250,000 on top of that to be split up among them for catching the most crab out of the fleet. Which for obvious reasons the Coast guard did not like but that’s a whole other story in its self.

400grl
06-17-2005, 04:59 PM
The Northwestern was my favorite boat from the start - I just liked the Captain's attitude and they way everyone worked......glad they won it! :)

06-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Yeah last episode was great, especially the story of the captain that made everyone jump overboard because he thought it would sink and him being the only surviver and came to find out it never did sink.

Imagine the guilt... dang.

wilkin250r
06-17-2005, 11:04 PM
The bible-thumping captain started to bug me a little bit, especially when he was saying "I felt the hand of God, a divine presence, leading me towards the crab".

Really? God doesn't have anything better to do than help you catch crab and earn money?

Yeah, that whole 'world hunger' thing is all fine and dandy, but what's REALLY important to God is helping you line your pockets. Sure.

Religious beliefs are all well and fine, but let's not get stupid with them.

lol
06-18-2005, 07:55 AM
the man-overboard button on the gps would help to find th person in the water except in 8-10 foot swells the person is basically gone