PDA

View Full Version : Stripped threads in head that hold on cylinder head cover

Metzroth
06-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Has anyone ever had a problem with stripping the threads in the head that hold on the valve cover? About 2 weeks ago i had to take the cylinder head cover off to break off my valve inspection caps...(long story). Anyways when i went to tighten the bolts the threads stripped out of one of them and another broke off in the head. The one that broke off was on the rear facing side of the motor, so no oil leaked there. But the threads that stripped out of the head were on the front side of the motor where the oil sits. Oil is coming out just about as fast as it flows through there. Anyone have better suggestion than drilling out the remaining threads and tapping bigger threads? Also wanted to try a longer bolt with the same threads and see if there were threads deeper than where i stripped them out. The bolt that broke off isnt a big problem. I am just going to order a new bolt and use a reverse drill bit to get it out. PLEASE HELP! (I can't go much longer without riding)

400exbiggun
06-14-2005, 07:29 PM
best bet is to probably drill and tap the new threads in. OR you could go the route of a heli-coil. Which is what you would use if you stripped out the sparkplug hole. What it is is you actually still drill and tap bigger, then in the kit (kit comes with everything, tap, bit, springs) there are these spring type things which are the new threads. What it does is lets you use the same size bolts as previous. But i would rather just drill and tap.

To get the other one out just use a easy-out....and be careful not to break that or you are really fawked :eek2:

Metzroth
06-14-2005, 07:52 PM
where can i get a heli-coil kit? I will probably end up just drilling/ re-tapping, but just to keep options open where can i get it.

400exbiggun
06-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Any automotive or hardware store should have it. I had to use one on my old jeep when i sold it. After doing a brake job i stripped out a hole to hold the caliper on.

Its just a kit, you have to get the right one also. They come in standard and metric. They are assorted some times, or just one size. It comes with the correct drill bit and the correct tap. Then a tool and that spring. After you drilled and tapped you take the spring and on the end is a hook. The hook goes into the hole in the tool and you screw it into the hole and new threads. The spring is now the new threads. But i dont know what the actual torque specs are for those bolts you are talking about. They shouldnt be more than 15-20ftlbs. IF you were torquing to about 50+ftlbs i dont know how well they would hold up, but for this they should be perfect. Best bet is to drill and tap, this way you know you can get better bolts and a tight seal. Just make sure to put some anti-seize compund on the new bolts. So it lubes it and wont freeze up in there.

Metzroth
06-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Well the torque spec is 8 ft lbs. With that little pressure i've snapped 2 bolts off and stripped threads. It's rediculous. I wish Honda would cover things like that. I know i did everything correctly so i dont feel this is my fault. It's a manufacturer defect as far as im concerned. What bolt breaks at 8 ft lbs unless manufactured wrong?!

400exbiggun
06-14-2005, 08:10 PM
8ftlbs, really that low??? Huh. Then a heli coil is perfect for this if you want to use it. 8ftlbs is nothing thats like a 1/2 turn past finger tight:confused:

Metzroth
06-14-2005, 08:15 PM
EXACTLY! It's crazy. I'm really ticked off that im going thru all this garbage cuz 8 FT LBs stripped the threads. I'm going to call a honda dealer tomorrow and see if they are willing to do anything about it even tho im sure they wont. Anyone know a direct number for honda motors? I've heard stories about people contacting them and getting replacements for manufacturer defect parts. I'm a honda guy through and through, but ive had lots of problems with my ex's. If they dont help resolve this issue, my next quad will be a yamaha, I've had friends get parts fixed after warranty period on a TTR-125L and a WR426F. Small things, but nonetheless they did replace the stuff for free other than shipping, (and they wanted the original part).